Jim Schwartz defenses doing Jim Schwartz things

dezertbill

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the game that we lost by 14 and had 2 30+ yard TD's taken off the board (one passing, one Tyrod run) for OL penalties, right?

That was the game where it took the offense nearly 3 quarters to cross the 50 against one of the worst defenses in the league that year.

Rex Sux

Not so much of an argument as a general theme: that the growing myth of 2014 is just that.

lol, what is the myth?

It was very good and better than what we have seen from Rex Ryans defenses to this point.

Those are facts.

Isn't it a false correlation though? Rex isn't the D- Coordinator he is the HC. Schwartz has a much different job and it is one that both he and Rex have excelled at. Is the argument that Schwartz should have been the HC? I'll put that to rest by bringing up his 29-51 record over 5 years and 1 winning season in that time. Rex has coached for 7 full seasons and had a losing record twice. It is up to each person to decide what they think of Rex as a HC but I don't see how anyone can say Schwartz is a better HC than Rex.

Isn't it a false correlation though? Rex isn't the D- Coordinator he is the HC. Schwartz has a much different job and it is one that both he and Rex have excelled at. Is the argument that Schwartz should have been the HC? I'll put that to rest by bringing up his 29-51 record over 5 years and 1 winning season in that time. Rex has coached for 7 full seasons and had a losing record twice. It is up to each person to decide what they think of Rex as a HC but I don't see how anyone can say Schwartz is a better HC than Rex.

I'm sure ScottLaw will have an interesting and balanced rebuttal

There has been ongoing and preposterous outrage that no defense has performed to the level of the cake-scheduled, injury free 2014 defense.

I certainly don't refute Schwartz's abilities as DC. But I've begun questioning the sanity in holding 2014 as the standard when in the year prior and two years since a similar core of players haven't been as dominant.

Part of that is Schwartz and his scheme. A bigger piece--IMO has been injuries, specifically lack thereof in 2014. That was the anomaly.

There has been ongoing and preposterous outrage that no defense has performed to the level of the cake-scheduled, injury free 2014 defense.

I certainly don't refute Schwartz's abilities as DC. But I've begun questioning the sanity in holding 2014 as the standard when in the year prior and two years since a similar core of players haven't been as dominant.

Part of that is Schwartz and his scheme. A bigger piece--IMO has been injuries, specifically lack thereof in 2014. That was the anomaly.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I also remember that 2014 defense but moreso the 2013 defense as giving up critical 3rd down after critical 3rd down. Where is Pettine now? I'm kind of surprised he wasn't part of the Rex bringing all of his guys back.

Amazing how these days experts are so critical of a former bills player only after he leaves but so quickly knob gobble anything to defend the coaches, the players here to the point of PPP.

Edited by Boyst62

So Rex wasn't in charge of the defense last year?

I have said Rex helped ruin good thing on defense last season. His coaching sucked and the team would've been better off hiring an offensive minded head coach and retaining Schwartz as DC. People like to claim that Schwartz wouldn't have came back as DC if he wasn't given the HC job. There is no proof of this.

yes. This. Only this

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I also remember that 2014 defense but moreso the 2013 defense as giving up critical 3rd down after critical 3rd down. Where is Pettine now? I'm kind of surprised he wasn't part of the Rex bringing all of his guys back.

he took the year off of coaching. Probably to recover from the Johnny Drama he dealt with for 2 years.

So Rex wasn't in charge of the defense last year?

I have said Rex helped ruin good thing on defense last season. His coaching sucked and the team would've been better off hiring an offensive minded head coach and retaining Schwartz as DC. People like to claim that Schwartz wouldn't have came back as DC if he wasn't given the HC job. There is no proof of this.

There is also no proof that he would have stayed. As a HC (I'm assuming in charge of the D by your definition) Schwartz had the Lions D ranked 32, 21, 23, 13, and 16.

Schwartz is a very good DC but your pining for something that may or may not have been possible to do and then lamenting that the Bills should have done it. Also how would Schwartz have done last year with the injuries to Aaron Williams or Kyle Williams. I have posted many times about the difference in games missed between the 2 years. Finally, Schwartz didn't take over a terrible d in Philly and turn it around. Fletcher Cox and the rest of the d line are very good. Their lbs are very good. The only questionable part is the Secondary. The trouble with the Eagles D was Chips offense.

Cake-scheduled?

INTs don't need to be returned for touchdowns. If they set up short fields they can make even the best defensive coordinator's job more difficult.

And you're presuming that Giants didn't have short drives vs Bills last year?

I think the other thing you have to give him credit for is he can keep drives alive with his legs. That IMO makes up for SOME of his accuracy issues.

That may be so. But considering the team's achilles heel is the offense's inability sustain drives, you'll have to excuse my lack of enthusiasm for that particular trait.

That may be so. But considering the team's achilles heel is the offense's inability sustain drives, you'll have to excuse my lack of enthusiasm for that particular trait.

Tyrod killed the defense last night. So terrible. Who could point the finger at anyone but the offense last night?