How is Watkins?

gjv001

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I disagree with you on that. For example, a receiver can rack up a lot of catches on dump-offs, and passing yards in general don't happen to be tightly correlated with winning.

If those three were the only stats that matter, it would be pretty silly for the burgeoning industry of stats sites (Football Outsiders, Cold Hard Football Facts etc) to set up shop, but there they are.

The point is, Sammy is managing a similar productivity on a yards/game and yards/reception basis than some top WR. He also had similar TD to Green's first 2 years in the league (6 vs 7, 9 vs 11) though I'm not sure what that means as a quality metric. The Bills last year led the league in rushing attempts and were 31st in passing attempts. Sammy last year got an average of 1.5 fewer targets per game than Green which may simply reflect fewer pass plays from the Bills. To people who like to watch coach's film, he often appeared open but was not targeted. I don't know what that means. It's a mystery to me.

It's silly to say "well, durn it, he didn't have as many yards or receptions as these other WR playing in a more pass-rich system so he's paltry**". That's not factual, that's not using statistics correctly, it's bending common sense and choosing stats to fit a narrative.

**actual word choice may vary

So, to you the four are the similar players. Let's suppose you are an NFL GM and you have Watkins on your roster & you decide that it's time for a change of scenery. You jump on the phone and you call around the league trying to swap receivers. What response do you think you get from Atlanta, Cincinnati or the NYG? I'm expecting some loud guffawing on the other end of the line. What do you suppose the reaction will be?

So, to you the four are the similar players. Let's suppose yo

I can see where I didn't exclude that possible interpretation by what I wrote, but that's not what I said and I think that was pretty clear from what I did write.

What I said is that I disagree with you that catches, yards, and TDs are the only stats that matter for a WR, and I explained why.

I don't Do with "straw", meaning when I'm making a point and the person I'm having a discussion with ignores it to put words in my mouth and debate something I didn't say, that kind of ends the discussion. If you want to engage, go back and read what I actually wrote and start there with a response.

In case you haven't noticed, it's a very rare trade that swaps "like" for "like" (Hughes for Sheppard would be the closest I could think of, and they really weren't the same role), so GMs would be guffawing on that alone.

Well, I disagree with you on that. For example, a receiver can rack up a lot of catches on dump-offs, and passing yards in general don't happen to be tightly correlated with winning.

If those three were the only stats that matter, it would be pretty silly for the burgeoning industry of stats sites (Football Outsiders, Cold Hard Football Facts etc) to set up shop, but there they are.

The point is, Sammy is managing a similar productivity on a yards/game and yards/reception basis than some top WR. He also had similar TD to Green's first 2 years in the league (6 vs 7, 9 vs 11) though I'm not sure what that means as a quality metric. The Bills last year led the league in rushing attempts and were 31st in passing attempts. Sammy last year got an average of 1.5 fewer targets per game than Green which may simply reflect fewer pass plays from the Bills. To people who like to watch coach's film, he often appeared open but was not targeted. I don't know what that means. It's a mystery to me.

It's silly to say "well, durn it, he didn't have as many yards or receptions as these other WR playing in a more pass-rich system so he's paltry**". That's not factual, that's not using statistics correctly, it's bending common sense and choosing stats to fit a narrative.

**actual word choice may vary

Wait aren't you the guy who is always in the shoutbox claiming that EJ is the best QB on the team? Or do I have you confused with someone else?

The "punk ass" bit is emotions and heart.

The "least open receiver on the team" is not factual.

Robert Woods has not shown himself to be the best WR on the team, but he is also open far more than he is targeted, and I believe if he were targeted more his productivity would soar.

EJ is the best QB on the team. I'll save my "I told you so" for after Tyrod takes his normal place on the bench.

The punk ass bit is not emotions and heart. It's observation.

The least open receiver on the team is, indeed, factual. Part of it is because he's being doubled a lot; part of it is that he's not tough enough to separate himself.

Robert Woods' productivity soared when EJ was the starter ... which would bring us full circle, now, wouldn't it?

Why do you always have to point to things as "excuses"

So friggen irritating.....Lynn is going to work with the groceries he has to deal with......is there an option for him? No

Hes frustrated. 17 years with no playoffs is beyond a joke. Every year its nothing but talk at OBD. Ryan, Brandon, Whaley, John Murphy. Talk, talk, talk. Who cares what he calls it. At this point any criticism is valid. If he wants to blame the janitor its valid. I had seasons tix during the glory years. Now Im subjected to this? Im pretty sure most of the posters on this board could have run this team over the past 17 years and done just as well. If not better! How could you do worse? We deserve more as a fan base. Edited by TANK2

I can see where I didn't exclude that possible interpretation by what I wrote, but that's not what I said and I think that was pretty clear from what I did write.

What I said is that I disagree with you that catches, yards, and TDs are the only stats that matter for a WR, and I explained why.

I don't Do with "straw", meaning when I'm making a point and the person I'm having a discussion with ignores it to put words in my mouth and debate something I didn't say, that kind of ends the discussion. If you want to engage, go back and read what I actually wrote and start there with a response.

In case you haven't noticed, it's a very rare trade that swaps "like" for "like" (Hughes for Sheppard would be the closest I could think of, and they really weren't the same role), so GMs would be guffawing on that alone.

So you do understand that Watkins is not a top tier WR?

And yet, he's missed 3 games in his first 2 seasons. Julio Jones missed 3. OBJ missed 5. AJ Green, 3 in the last 2 seasons.

Somehow I feel this discussion is all about people with strong emotions some posters have, and not about the facts :w00t:

I'm not clear on whether that last is true or not. If Taylor can't find open WR, does it matter if Watkins is there or not? Lynn has to find a power rush attack and some pass plays Taylor can hit. If we're just throwing long bombs down the field Goodwin and Salas seemed to catch them OK, and Wood seems always open.

Might help if Clay would look for the ball, though.

He's injury prone. The fact that he hobbles onto the field and tries to play through it doesnt change that. Rarely heard that Andre Reed or James Lofton were hurt during their careers. You hear it alot about Watkins.