Buffalo Bills Fire Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman

26CornerBlitz

It's easy to buy the Pegulas are meddlesome narrative because that's so easy to believe.

And yet, even when Terry comes out and openly says Rex has oversight over team and staff, it barely moves the meter. And I mean barely.

I don't know if I'm more disappointed in the "media" for being lazy, or disappointed in some Bills fans for accepting lazy journalism.

Not one "national" reporter reached out to the Pegulas for a comment on "the Pegulas fired Roman" story.

Not one.

And even Rappaport's story was incredulous given his leap of logic, as in: "Sources tell me Pegulas met with players behind closed doors, without Rex so I must assume he wasn't involved on the decision."

That's just plane irresponsible journalism.

And yet, it is adopted as being written-in-stone-cold-hard-fact.

Shameful.

jw

and crickets. typical

jw

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I recall, Sammy did not play at the end of the Jets game. I wonder if there was a dispute between Sammy and Roman.

He missed the last two series after TT threw the wounded duck INT, iirc. I think that was a concession move.

It's easy to buy the Pegulas are meddlesome narrative because that's so easy to believe.

And yet, even when Terry comes out and openly says Rex has oversight over team and staff, it barely moves the meter. And I mean barely.

I don't know if I'm more disappointed in the "media" for being lazy, or disappointed in some Bills fans for accepting lazy journalism.

Not one "national" reporter reached out to the Pegulas for a comment on "the Pegulas fired Roman" story.

Not one.

And even Rappaport's story was incredulous given his leap of logic, as in: "Sources tell me Pegulas met with players behind closed doors, without Rex so I must assume he wasn't involved on the decision."

Shameful.

jw

It feeds into the negative atmosphere with many who claim that the Bills are the worst run and most dysfunctional organization in the NFL. So many are ready and willing to accept the story as gospel.

@MatthewFairburn

CswHQt7WEAAUdnK.jpg

Not one.

Shameful.

jw

Totally agree with you. It is very disappointing that people buy this half baked crap so easily, and not just in sports. Thanks for being a real journalist.

and crickets. typical

jw

What is there to say, John? Several of us actually wrote posts excoriating the lazy journalism around the whole move - the whole thing casting it as "shameful scapegoating" on Rex's part rather than any real performance-based concern. Also that many of the pieces coming out (Pegulas meeting with players etc) can fit into either scenario (Rex decision which the Pegulas wanted some fact finding on, Pegula decision based on player input and issued to Rex).

You would know better than we to what extent laziness is a "fair cop" here. But you should also know people here often take more than a few minutes to read & respond, especially when a thread is pushing 40 pages.

I would be interested in your opinion on the "shameful scapegoating" of Roman by Rex storyline.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Not one.

Shameful.

jw

All we need to know. Shameful indeed. Thanks for the clarity here, JW.

Not one.

Shameful.

jw

Thank you. It does seem like there are leaks from the organization that get picked up nationally (like this one) or locally (Vic Carucci's report of the "ultimatum", Whaley going "rogue" cutting Fred) and the Bills respond saying they are erroneous. Who at OBD is talking to the media that is spreading this stuff? It happened when Marrone was there as well (Jason LaCanfora and the "Saint Doug" story)

There seems to be a lot of that, and it has increased dramatically since ralph "stepped aside" on jan 1, 2013.

And just because pegula makes a statement that they are cohesive and rex runs the ship doesnt necessarily make it so. That is the narrative the organization wants everyone to think, whether it is actually the case or not. I actually dont care who made the call. Either way its clown shoes.

I started a thread earlier with a link to Alex Marvez's segment with John Murphy from earlier today.

He was heavily critical of the firing of Roman, the timing, and indicated it was more Buffalo Bills dysfunction...

Always interesting to hear objective, national, outside observations of the Bills, whatever you might think of the opinions themselves.

objective?

and crickets. typical

jw

So what's up with all the leaks at OBD or negative leaks? There always seems to be some "source"

Not one.

Shameful.

jw

your take on all of this organization pre game was so different than any opinions written. Was a fresh air to the whole situation. There wasn't much you opened up on and no insider info but your optimism of Rex was surprising.

Please let this line of Sammy's quote be true:

"Now we're just trying to get back to the basics of what we're doing, master the plays that we need to master instead of trying to trick people."

Pretty please?

And thanks for fighting the Truthiness, JW.

He was terrible. At the very least he was part of the problem and he needs to be part of the solution at all times. I am not fooled by a couple of nice bombs and some garbage time completions. He left too many plays on the field, plain and simple. When an offense doesn't have a red zone possession until their last possession of the game and converts 3 of 10 third downs all night, it's usually due to poor QB play and that was the case last night. Just as I said after the Ravens game, the film won't be kind to TT again this week.

When an offense converts 30% on third downs and can't get in to the red zone, it's usually due to poor line play.

interesting line. Made me think of the first play vs Colts last year. Ridiculous.

Just read this one by Vic that echoes the same themes: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/18/lynn-succeed-bills-oc-must-put-players-scheme/

Please let's get this O on track.

Seems crazy that they're playing so ineffectively when they were making plays all summer. I mean, what happened to #OVERTHEMIDDLE!?!

Rex Ryan live on WGR 550 right now.

The changes (regarding OC position) may not be Xs and Os but there will be changes and I think the team will be better.

"We're ready to roll with the acceptance of Lynn."

Rex bumbling around and not really saying much.

The offense is exciting about Anthony coming in; everyone respects him; they will do whatever they can to see him be successful.

Rex won't comment on whether or not Roman did everything asked of him with the organization.

Rex totally dodging anything about Roman other than to say he's a very good football coach.

Rex asked about distancing himself from term "Ground and pound"...

IS there a change of philosophy?

REX: "When I first took the job in NY, I came up with the term ground and pound. If you saw our QB situation, you'd have understood why I came up with ground and pound. We weren't very effective at throwing the football."

"When I came to Buffalo, I want to be able to run the football...but it's not ground and pound. You throw to score but you run to win. You gotta be able to run the football."

"When we were successful last year, we won that category" (rushing)

"We ought to be able to throw the football on people. We have the QB to do it and the receivers."

IF you're running the ball you're controlling the clock.

Last year we were #1 in the league in 3 and outs. That hurts your football team. Those are things we gotta work on. We gotta throe more completions.

In 2nd half we want to be able to run the ball and put people away, that's for sure.

I read that as a clear indictment that Roman wasn't getting the job done in either the run game nor passing and without the run game working his defense was left out to dry all game long. That Jets game basically saw the ToP in the Jets favor 40 min to 20 min. I can see why Ryan made the change he did to the RB coach that was on several teams list of possible head coaching candidates.

We will see if it works out as Ryan's defense looked like it improved this year but with the run game not working it was killing the defense over the long haul.

Edited by Nihilarian

I read that as a clear indictment that Roman wasn't getting the job done in either the run game nor passing and without the run game working his defense was left out to dry all game long. That Jets game saw the ToP in the Jets favor 40 min to 20 min. I can see why Ryan made the change he did to the RB coach that was on several teams list of possible head coaching candidates.

We will see if it works out as Ryan's defense looked like it improved this year but with the run game not working it was killing the defense over the long haul.

this makes sense

When an offense converts 30% on third downs and can't get in to the red zone, it's usually due to poor line play.

Sometimes, but he had great protection most of the evening. And we averaged 4.5ypc vs. a stingy front seven against the run. More often than not, it's because of poor QB play. I'll just say this; great QB play will get you through times of poor OL play FAR FAR more than great OL play gets you through poor QB play. Almost 100% of the time.