Saints release Spiller

Virgil

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that his best days were behind him. He was a bad scheme fit with Marrone. He wasn't a guy on his last legs like Freddie. There still aren't a lot of miles on Spiller. Something isn't adding up but the speed and quickness is still there. He just can't play football.

Agreed

The problem is that it's hard to find a scheme that calls for your RB to do no running between the tackles, provide no pass protection and not catch any passes more than 5 yards downfield.

spiller has 704 carries and 192 catches. mccoy as 1680 runs and 336 catches. spiller should be fresh

I agree with that. it was the other back I commented on. the guy who got an extension at 27.

Then again one of the arguements for old Fred was he was low mileage too. Granted he was older when he left Buffalo.

Edited by Best Player Available

The problem is that it's hard to find a scheme that calls for your RB to do no running between the tackles, provide no pass protection and not catch any passes more than 5 yards downfield.

Ha ha, I don't disagree. I just saw Reggie do damage in NOLA and figured that Spiller would be used similarly. He just couldn't figure it out.

spiller has 704 carries and 192 catches. mccoy as 1680 runs and 336 catches. spiller should be fresh

I agree...he hasn't lost his tire tread yet. I would get him in a heartbeat. Since it's after the season started their isn't any guaranteed season money. That was the primary reason they cut felton then resigned him.

If Reggie Bush goes down, or Shady, I'd pick up Spiller. I do think he's not an intelligent back, who lacks the mental acuity and the body type to be an every down back. The only system Spiller has ever functioned well in is out of the spread offense of Chan Gailey. If Sean Payton can't utilize his skills it's very likely Spiller is finished. He had a good 6 year career by NFL standards. Entered NFL in 2010 at age 23, looks finished at age 29. Spiller was an excellent punt returner in college. Unfortunately that never translated to the NFL.

We already have 2 RB's that bounce it outside and lose yards. Maybe the Jets will add him for Thurs, that would be fun

I dont need anything else to worry about... we have enough. (Although spiller signing AND playing in 2 days aint happening)