Saints release Spiller

Virgil

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree...he hasn't lost his tire tread yet. I would get him in a heartbeat. Since it's after the season started their isn't any guaranteed season money. That was the primary reason they cut felton then resigned him.

Spiller unfortunately struggles with play books and natural instinct. Not a knock on his person, but he maybe is not a good fit in today's NFL.

I think when Fred mentored him on the sideline he had a better chance of any success.

I confess, I did too.

Gailey looks like an offensive genius - he got production out of Fitz, CJ and Stevie that no one else could get.

Gailey is still one of my favorite Tomato gardeners. and OCs. love the old gentleman.

Good thing Spiller chose to sign with the Saints rather than resign with Buffalo. Whaley made him a decent offer and he went to NO instead.

Bills dodged another Bullet...

2013 maligned Marrone-offense version Spiller had same amount of carries and yards as 2015 McCoy. :lol:

So they dodged one but kinda' stepped right into another.

As Coach Tuesday said......Spiller's issue is a learning disabiity.

Real nice guy, but Forrest Gump level intelligence.

There was virtually no chance he'd succeed in a complicated WCO type scheme.

His All-22 clips in Buffalo were classic.

People thought Fred Jackson was just instinctive and CJ was not.

It's not instinct.......just like defensive alignments dictate presnap QB reads......playcall and defensive alignment dictate where the hole is likely to be int he run game and a RB of average intelligence sees that and has a good idea where he has to go before the ball is snapped.

CJ simply had no clue where the play was going and that always kept things interesting.

Edited by #BADOL

2013 maligned Marrone-offense version Spiller had same amount of carries and yards as 2015 McCoy. :lol:

It's not instinct.......just like defensive alignments dictate presnap QB reads......playcall and defensive alignment dictate where the hole is likely to be int he run game and a RB of average intelligence sees that and has a good idea where he has to go before the ball is snapped.

CJ simply had no clue where the play was going and that always kept things interesting.

It is weird though -- so many great rbs are slow processors. Maybe more is asked of rbs than in the past.

If I recall, spiller graduated with honors... but as I've referenced a few times, his wonderlic score was lower than simply guessing should produce.

I always suspected there was a learning disability (severe enough to make literacy an issue) but don't recall many stories outside a few praising him. Watching him play, it wouldn't shock me either.. That said, I think the right coach could have adapted some even if that's true.

I very much don't mean any of that discussion as a knock on his character...

It is weird though -- so many great rbs are slow processors. Maybe more is asked of rbs than in the past.

There are many different types of disabilities that effect different types of processing.

Also different types of information being served up to guys by different teaching methods.

For some people that appear slow, certain activities can just click... likewise a really sharp person can struggle with what should seem easy.

If I recall, spiller graduated with honors... but as I've referenced a few times, his wonderlic score was lower than simply guessing should produce.

I always suspected there was a learning disability (severe enough to make literacy an issue) but don't recall many stories outside a few praising him. Watching him play, it wouldn't shock me either.. That said, I think the right coach could have adapted some even if that's true.

I very much don't mean any of that discussion as a knock on his character...

There are many different types of disabilities that effect different types of processing.

Also different types of information being served up to guys by different teaching methods.

For some people that appear slow, certain activities can just click... likewise a really sharp person can struggle with what should seem easy.

This is a great post in a couple ways. The reason it is relevant to me is my Kids.

4 of them.

all learned in different ways, which might be an anomaly. i have no idea. i dont do stats.

But as parents we learned different teaching methods from learning how people process and receive information.

They have all turned out amazing, but at times it was alot or work to help them succeed.

I can imagine CJ Spiller and Leodis McKelvin are very directly wired for some things.

get them in the proper environment and help them learn to wail on it !!

that may not be football, even though it looks like it should be easy for them. From where we stand

Great athlete. Terrible RB. He just could not read blocks. Vision was poor and rarely broke tackles.

I still think he has athma. The winded comments never let up and he always seemed to be breathing hard even after very short gains.

Always more to the story.

Maybe Hackett meant it. run till you puke.... or quit.

CJ in college - speed, no instincts All American

CJ in NFL - speed, no instincts Has Been

Spiller arrived at Clemson looking like an All American and then was basically the backup RB for the next three years.

The guy in front of him was at best a fringe NFL prospect named James Davis that they just trusted more to execute the plays in their running/pass game.

To think there weren't signs in college is wrong. If Davis didn't graduate prior to Spiller's senior year Spiller still would have been backing him up.