On to the Jets - What I need see for hope

Virgil

24 hours later and the anger has left me and I'm left with disappointment. But the good news about a short week is that we can't dwell on the past and we still have 15 games to go. I was going to go to the game in person, but it's an 8 hour drive for me and I'm too nervous for another letdown. That drive back would just be too damn hard. With that, here's what I'm looking for in week 2, broken down by segments:

Rex Ryan:

• Less Penalties
  • Team psyched up and ready to go (Team never looked comfortable or prepped the entire Ravens game to me)
  • I want to see some fire from him if the offense isn't getting things done (not getting plays called in time, making adjustments at half)
  • Holding the Jets to 15 points would be nice
  • Duke Williams shouldn't be covering ANYbody. He can help over the top, that's it.
  • Figure out how to get some pressure up the middle without Dareus.
    • I don't know if Kyle got double teamed last week, but it was alarming how little pressure we generated up the gut.

Roman:

• I want to see the team up to the line with at least 15 seconds left on the play clock
  • Clay with at least 5 touches. Working the seam
  • Woods and Watkins working some slants with deep routes mixed in (Jets play press and with one safety deep)
  • Half time adjustments if a close game (if blowing them out, keep on doing it :-))
  • Spread out the field and get some quick passes called to start the game. Get TT in a rhythm. Get Clay, Woods, and Watkins going early. Even if it's 3-4 yard plays. Just build some confidence and momentum.

Runningbacks

• McCoy needs some screens and cutback routes. Get the man in some space
    • Run him until he pukes. I don't want Bush out there on 2nd down.
  • Bush - he runs backwards again, put his ass on the bench

Tyrod:

• Some fire/passion (I respect his demeanor and not getting distracted, but he needs to lead this team and if they are in a funk, snap them out of it)
  • Find the middle of the field (like he didn't do all of last year either)
  • Get the plays called and to the line quickly (if not, let me see him do something about it)
    • Audibles as he sees them

Overall

• Give me a reason to believe last week was a bad week. The defense did good. The offense was pure crap. Tyrod did enough last season to give him the benefit of the doubt for me. But they backed themselves into a corner by losing to the Ravens. If you are going to be a playoff team, you have to beat the teams that are beatable on the road. The Ravens was that team. So now, you HAVE to win your home games against division opponents. It doesn't get easier after the Jets with the Cardinals coming to town and the Patriots are proving to be no joke without Brady.
  • If we start 0-4, which isn't unthinkable, it's going to be a really brutal season and continuity goes out the window.

air it out

To the contrary, I want to see them beat the strategy of te jets. Saying they have two safeties deep shouldn't cripple you. If they do it, show me where we dink and dunk them the whole game and have long drives.

If they adjust and pull up, then beat them deep. Show me we aren't a team that needs home runs

24 hours later and the anger has left me and I'm left with disappointment. But the good news about a short week is that we can't dwell on the past and we still have 15 games to go. I was going to go to the game in person, but it's an 8 hour drive for me and I'm too nervous for another letdown. That drive back would just be too damn hard. With that, here's what I'm looking for in week 2, broken down by segments:

Rex Ryan:

• Less Penalties
  • Team psyched up and ready to go (Team never looked comfortable or prepped the entire Ravens game to me)
  • I want to see some fire from him if the offense isn't getting things done (not getting plays called in time, making adjustments at half)
  • Duke Williams shouldn't be covering ANYbody. He can help over the top, that's it.
    • I don't know if Kyle got double teamed last week, but it was alarming how little pressure we generated up the gut.

Roman:

• I want to see the team up to the line with at least 15 seconds left on the play clock
  • Woods and Watkins working some slants with deep routes mixed in (Jets play press and with one safety deep)
  • Half time adjustments if a close game (if blowing them out, keep on doing it :-))
  • Spread out the field and get some quick passes called to start the game. Get TT in a rhythm. Get Clay, Woods, and Watkins going early. Even if it's 3-4 yard plays. Just build some confidence and momentum.

Runningbacks

Tyrod:

• Some fire/passion (I respect his demeanor and not getting distracted, but he needs to lead this team and if they are in a funk, snap them out of it)
  • Get the plays called and to the line quickly (if not, let me see him do something about it)

Overall

• Give me a reason to believe last week was a bad week. The defense did good. The offense was pure crap. Tyrod did enough last season to give him the benefit of the doubt for me. But they backed themselves into a corner by losing to the Ravens. If you are going to be a playoff team, you have to beat the teams that are beatable on the road. The Ravens was that team. So now, you HAVE to win your home games against division opponents. It doesn't get easier after the Jets with the Cardinals coming to town and the Patriots are proving to be no joke without Brady.
  • If we start 0-4, which isn't unthinkable, it's going to be a really brutal season and continuity goes out the window.

Almost all of this is superfluous.

What we need to see is Tyrod consistently doing the things good NFL QBs can do, most of which are mental.

He needs to see the whole field, stay in the pocket, anticipate an open receiver even if in a small window, and accurately deliver the ball to him.

If he is showing no signs of being able to consistently do that, this season won't amount to a lot.

Rex Ryan:

• Less Penalties

Roman:

Runningbacks

Tyrod:

Overall

all the roman stuff is depending on a o-line not to get schooled again....if so we should be good

This is a great list. Unfortunately, if you change the date and the names, it describes the last 10 - 15 years. :doh:

Most teams in the NFL would LOVE to have fans as fiercely loyal, knowledgeable, and optimistic as Buffalo.

Some of us at TBD have been talking football and tailgating together before there was a TBD.

That said, I will at the game Thursday to see my friends.

I am hoping for clear skies with a nearly full moon!

It is the world's best tailgate, like a family reunion, with a three hour interruption for a football game.

I hope we are all smiling because the Bills have their first WIN!

This is a great list. Unfortunately, if you change the date and the names, it describes the last 10 - 15 years. :doh:

Most teams in the NFL would LOVE to have fans as fiercely loyal, knowledgeable, and optimistic as Buffalo.

Some of us at TBD have been talking football and tailgating together before there was a TBD.

That said, I will at the game Thursday to see my friends.

I am hoping for clear skies with a nearly full moon!

It is the world's best tailgate, like a family reunion, with a three hour interruption for a football game.

I hope we are all smiling because the Bills have their first WIN!

I am a believer that we are closer than we've been in a long time. The more time that passes, the more I think Monday was a fluke. I'm not saying 15-1, but I'm hoping for a much better showing Thursday

Almost all of this is superfluous.

What we need to see is Tyrod consistently doing the things good NFL QBs can do, most of which are mental.

He needs to see the whole field, stay in the pocket, anticipate an open receiver even if in a small window, and accurately deliver the ball to him.

If he is showing no signs of being able to consistently do that, this season won't amount to a lot.

Agreed

And we need a win.