Head Coaching Candidates

yungmack

To be clear, I wasn't saying Rex should be fired after one game, or even that he's on the hot seat. What I am saying is that should the Bills continue to look like a clown show, I have to believe the Pegulas will replace him, though probably not until after the season. With that possibility in mind, I was just wondering who the more knowledgeable people around here think would be a great replacement.

I personally don't want to see any more retreads like Rex, or great coordinators who don't seem to have the goods for HC, like Chan, and definitely not someone in their 70s like Coughlin. Ideally, you want something like the Steelers have, who are on just their third head coach in nearly 50 years.

But to pull that off, you have to identify a HC you can commit to for whatever period of time it takes to get the franchise into that high success category. That's a huge act of faith and one you have to get right. But the process the Bills have been stuck in for a couple of decades now -- a new HC ever two, three years -- has failed horribly. And I think they've wiffed with Rex. Better to cut your losses and move on.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO just swapping out the coach is a mistake and continues this cycle. They need to change the structure of this organization. Cant have the coach 'coaching' and reporting to Pegula, with a GM 'picking players' reporting to Pegula, along with Russ Brandon marketing his way all over the decisions. They need a much more cohesive structure going forward (if Rex fails). For one, it doesnt look like a sustainable/cohesive structure, two, these guys have had enough chances at choosing coaches, and three, I am not sure a lot of good head coaches or head coaching prospects would agree to come work here under these conditions (think marrone and Mularkey walking away). It is time to become a big-boy franchise and get past Ralph Wilson's MO.

So I am against firing Rex in short. I would tough it another 1 or 2 seasons if it meant the sorely needed organizational shift.

If Rex has a losing season here this year he is toast. If we lose Thursday night and get trashed by Arizona and New England then he is coaching for his job week 5.

Absolutely. Anyone who says "Rex isn't going anywhere" is deluded. I'm not saying Rex will definitely get fired, but his job is very much in jeopardy if this team bottoms out or even comes close to doing so. And if Rex is gone, I think Whaley will follow him out the door.

Absolutely. Anyone who says "Rex isn't going anywhere" is deluded. I'm not saying Rex will definitely get fired, but his job is very much in jeopardy if this team bottoms out or even comes close to doing so. And if Rex is gone, I think Whaley will follow him out the door.

with the exception of a few any coach that bottoms out 4-12 is on the hot seat . Rex will be back next year

I am still generally a fan of the job Whaley has done. Hard to see him surviving though if the team goes 4-12. Regardless I agree with what MatchDay says above about structure.

I want the Pegulas to make the GM (whether that is Doug or someone new) the de-facto Head of Football Operations and that GM should pick the coach and the coach should report to him.

I, and many of us around here, have for some time been expecting Rex to be fired. The more cautious sorts have favored the "give him some more time and let's see if he can fix this" approach. I believe that's been the Pegula's stance, because they believe in organizational stability which, if you have the right people, is the sensible method. And I think they also felt that Rex could turn things around, particularly with the defense, which was his biggest failure last season. In fairness, it does seem somewhat better based on yesterday's performance. But after yesterday's abysmal performance by the Bills in almost all other areas -- coaching confusion, game planning, continuing lack of discipline, player preparation -- and the many off-season problems leading to suspensions given and maybe more coming, I have to think that the Pegula's are at the very least at this moment considering a coaching change, if not now then after this season at the latest.

With that in mind, I would like to invite anyone who is really good at identifying potential HC candidates to weigh in here. I am not one of those people. I'd like to hear from the sort of person who can identify a Bruce Arians, a Mike McCarthy languishing away, or even can make the case why a first rate coordinator such as a Wade Phillips would NOT be ideal as a head coach. Maybe it's someone in college, though most of those who've come into the NFL have flopped spectacularly. Could be there's a former NFL guy who's gone into college coaching and is redeeming himself, a la Pete Carroll. In any case, it's beyond my limited knowledge. So if any of you have suggestions, I'm certain many of us would like to hear them.

Jim Harbaugh

It's like QB's. If they were that easy to find, everyone would have one. I'd be willing to trade picks for a head coach, but doubt we would get any takers.

I sincerely doubt we would even listen, but I would write a blank check to Harbaugh in Michigan

I'm inclined to take an offensive guy. Of the current NFL OC's, the one guy I'm intrigued by is Jim Bob Cooter. He's only 32 but he's got Matt Stafford playing some of the best football of his career.

Same predicament with Dowell Loggains in Chicago. Only 35 but between him and Adam Gase, they got a very solid year out of Jay Cutler.

nice find but that name :lol:

Just as long as its not Dwarf Fingers.

Imo

?

It's too late. The Pegula's should have hired Hue Jackson and retained Schwartz as DC.

But no - they were enamored with Rex's jokes during his interview.

Might as well keep now for his defense and replace Roman with a coach with innovative ideas from the year 2016.

We could always get Pettine to run the defense

If they bottom out

1. Purge the front office and start anew. If Brandon needs to stay, he is business only and has no contact or influence with football ops. Zero. No draft rooms, cut meetings, on the field at training camp arguing with coaches, commenting to the media about the makeup of the roster.

2. Bring new leader of the football program. Someone who has experience in a winning program, but also is in tune with modern times, advanced stats, risk management, etc. Maybe hire Polian or someone of the like from outside the organization to help identify candidates for interview.

3. New football president carefully select head coach. Long term commitment. Will be able to remain through bad years, as the fans, media, and ownership will understand. Like the Sabres, people will generally undestand and support an intelligent full-rebuild. The systems will be able to be installed and take root. Players will be scouted and brought in to custom fit the system.

4. Sell off anything you can within reason for picks.

5. Unless you know its an andrew luck/payton manning slam dunk, trade down, and trade down again.

6. Spend a lot of resources in QB search. High and low for the next 2 years. Will probably finish bad for a few seasons so basically pick of the litter. If not drafting a QB, trade down. Quantity.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I appreciate the topic because it gives the unhappy folks more of a plan than simply "FIRE HIM!". Always good to have a replacement candidate in mind to strengthen the argument.

But with that said...

I, and many of us around here, have for some time been expecting Rex to be fired.

I have to laugh at the bolded. Dude just came off an 8-8 season and is 1 game into his 2nd season. How long is "some time"? Did you want him fired before he ever coached a game for us last year??? :lol:

I appreciate the topic because it gives the unhappy folks more of a plan than simply "FIRE HIM!". Always good to have a replacement candidate in mind to strengthen the argument.

But with that said...

I have to laugh at the bolded. Dude just came off an 8-8 season and is 1 game into his 2nd season. How long is "some time"? Did you want him fired before he ever coached a game for us last year??? :lol:

Didnt you know?

Something else is always better.....except when it turns out that it isnt.

While we are crying about the 16 years of no playoffs....lets also look at how many times we have reset this damn thing.

If Pegula stands fast and stands by his coach.....I will stand by that decision.

The hiring made no sense to begin with.

It was a typical Bills decision. But that's what you get when you have unqualified/inexperienced people making the decision.

God forbid they bring in a experienced coach.

I've kind of soured on Rex too, but have mixed feelings about 2-3 year coaching stints the Bills have had since they last made the playoffs. A few negative thoughts in no particular order.

• There is too much confusion in games.
  • Timeouts were unnecessary although I did like the gutsy 4th down calls.
  • Defense may have improved, but Ravens have never been an offensive juggernaut.
  • He doesn't pull players who make boneheaded penalties.

On the bright side.

• Went 4-2 in AFC East
  • Seems to like Buffalo
  • It can't get much worse than last week
  • Running out of positives....

Yea and Pete Carroll was twice an NFL failure until he got another shot. Belichick was a terrible head coach until he got a second chance. Say what you will about McDaniels but he knows how to run a passing attack in the current NFL climate.

I hadn't heard that Belichick coached prior to the Patriots. I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned it before.

So since Billy was terrible - then was an all time great - everyone should be compared to him and can do the same thing?

I hadn't heard that Belichick coached prior to the Patriots. I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned it before.

So since Billy was terrible - then was an all time great - everyone should be compared to him and can do the same thing?

I feel like you are smarter than to simply run to the extreme absurd like that. But maybe Im wrong?

I feel like you are smarter than to simply run to the extreme absurd like that. But maybe Im wrong?

That's the default answer nearly every time someone disagrees with giving a guy another head coaching job. That's actually the extreme position considering how many more times a second time head coach will not turn into Belichick vs will.

That's the default answer nearly every time someone disagrees with giving a guy another head coaching job. That's actually the extreme position considering how many more times a second time head coach will not turn into Belichick vs will.

But no one is GUARANTEEING they will be better, just pointing out that it has and can happen. There are examples of coaches improving in their 2nd job, and their are examples of coaches failing in their 2nd job. I dont think pointing that out in defense of the idea of bringing in McDaniels is that extreme.

Yea and Pete Carroll was twice an NFL failure until he got another shot. Belichick was a terrible head coach until he got a second chance. Say what you will about McDaniels but he knows how to run a passing attack in the current NFL climate.

When it comes to Josh McDaniels, "No" is what I like to say.

Read Nate Turner's book "Slow Getting Up" about the changes McDaniels put in place when he took over in Denver. "No".

It's not the 0-1 record, it's the horrific way the game was lost, with the same bad in-game coaching decisions and inept game planning. By far the worst season opener I've seen, so bad it smacked of a preseason snoozer.

Agreed. Not the loss the poorly coached team being insane. Doing the same things over and over and expecting different results.