can the Bills win more with less talent ?

....lybob

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario was our worst defensive player last season. Every RT he faced was one on one and he lost all contests.

He did indeed get pwn'd in every game.

Side question: do you think he'll bounce back in Miami? I personally think getting pwn'd on the field is a habit, like anything else you do continually over a period of months. Not sure he can break it easily, unless he becomes fearful that Ndamukong Suh's sister will whup his grown ass.

Harvin played what, 3 games? Goodwin is his replacement. Hopefully he can play more than 3 games. Salas takes Hogan's spot as the 4th WR. A wash. Easley was strictly special teams. His loss could be felt there, but Powell looks like a better WR. We will see.

Harvin played in the first 5 games but he and Sammy only played in (the first) 3 together. And he only caught 19 passes for 219 and 1 TD. Not exactly scintillating stats.

If the talent has 2 or 3 people on every play that don't know their assignment, another who is a step slow because he is trying to cover for someone else and another guy who isn't even trying, then that talent doesn't do much for them. They will be out of position, blowing coverages, filling wrong holes, and won't get the results they should.

I'm amazed at how little some of the posters actually understand how a single play is ran and all the nuances that are involved with it. People literally think guys just go out there and get told "OK, here is the playcall, just do this." It doesn't work like that, not even close. People think knowing the play is like adding 2 + 2 when its more like doing a differential equation in terms of complexity.

Within each play is basically a subset of plays based on the alignment of the other team and the personnel they have on the field. For instance, if the offense comes out in 11 personnel(1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) or Ace, Jerry Hughes assignment on the play is likely going to be different than if the offense comes out in 22 personnel(2 RB, 2 TE, 1 WR) or Tank. In Ace, Hughes might have to read his key, which could be the running back and decide what to do. If he stays in to block, he is free to rush, but if he goes out into a pattern, he draws coverage responsibility. In the 22 personnel scenario he likely is going to be across from a TE and facing a running play.

This is a small example, now multiply this times every formation a team comes out in and that's how many subsets of the same play each player has to know. Many times with a different responsibility, a different key, etc...

Now imagine you are on the field, and you are confused because you can't remember what your assignment is in that alignment...you frantically look around and then try to communicate with a teammate who tries to tell you what your responsibility is. Before you can turn your head back to the line of scrimmage and get ready for the play,the ball is snapped...you are now a half second behind everyone else and still unsure of what your assignment is on the play, so you just do what you think is right...the run comes right at you, you aren't ready for it...15 yard gain right through the hole you should have been filling. On TV it looks like the player just got beat...in reality, he wasn't in the right position because he didn't know the playcall, which would have stopped the play for a minimal gain.

Now imagine this repeating itself with 2 or 3 players every play, and then add in a guy who didn't care. So only 7 or 8 players knew what the hell was going on each play and doing their job properly. Do you remember the Giants game where Duke Williams was standing in the endzone double covering a player while his man was left wide open for a TD, and Gilmore and a few other teammates visibly screamed at him and he jumped up and down in frustration? That was exactly what I am talking about---wrong assignment for the play. Likely was doing what he should have been doing in a different formation.

If you can't understand what a cluster F this defense was last year from my description, then go back and re-watch some games and see how many times players were looking around at each other or trying to talk pre-snap and then got the ball snapped before the were ready and focused on the next play---it happened a LOT...

If you don't understand how big of a problem that is then I am going to have to say you don't understand football very well.

Looking at the Bills roster this year I'd say they have less talent than the team that started 2015

Gone Mario Williams, Manny Lawson, Nigel Bradham, Karlos Williams, Chris Hogan,

Injured Shaq Lawson, Reggie Ragland , Chris Gragg

Suspended 4 games Marcell Dareus

What the Bills did not get done in the off-season - Big red zone WR, better TE depth, another pass rusher,

The good news is it seems Watkins, Clay, McCoy, and Taylor may all play together in relatively good health for the first game, IMO for the Bills to make the play offs none of these guys can miss more than 1 game

On defense I'll guess we will see if buy in to Rex's scheme can overcome loss of talent

what!? Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams , the only two leadership guys on defense , who hardly saw the field, sidelines or locker room last year are back, and the cancer Mario Williams is gone... plus upgrade in coaching the Rex D with Rob and Ed Reed. plus they know the D now (did not know it last year) .

Always amazed at how mentally destroyed bills fans can always find the negative...always

this is the best roster + coaching staff + O and D schemes this franchise has enjoyed since the days of Wade Phillips

Now imagine this repeating itself with 2 or 3 players every play, and then add in a guy who didn't care. So only 7 or 8 players knew what the hell was going on each play and doing their job properly. Do you remember the Giants game where Duke Williams was standing in the endzone double covering a player while his man was left wide open for a TD, and Gilmore and a few other teammates visibly screamed at him and he jumped up and down in frustration? That was exactly what I am talking about---wrong assignment for the play. Likely was doing what he should have been doing in a different formation.

If you can't understand what a cluster F this defense was last year from my description, then go back and re-watch some games and see how many times players were looking around at each other or trying to talk pre-snap and then got the ball snapped before the were ready and focused on the next play---it happened a LOT...

If you don't understand how big of a problem that is then I am going to have to say you don't understand football very well.

Can you see these things changing this year with Rex at the helm? Is it being year 2 enough or is the defense just too convoluted to keep up with the rapid pace opponents threw at it last year and will do again this year?

Harvin played in the first 5 games but he and Sammy only played in (the first) 3 together. And he only caught 19 passes for 219 and 1 TD. Not exactly scintillating stats.

its always dicey doing this but stat wise it extrapolates to season at 61 catches 700 yards receiving (plus 100 rushing) and 4 TDs....

not GREAT but would be a nice season for a guy that was on a run first offense and competing with woods/clay as the target behind sammy (and possibly dealing with his own injury)

its always dicey doing this but stat wise it extrapolates to season at 61 catches 700 yards receiving (plus 100 rushing) and 4 TDs....

not GREAT but would be a nice season for a guy that was on a run first offense and competing with woods/clay as the target behind sammy (and possibly dealing with his own injury)

Those are Bob Woods' 2014 season.

Why do people every year think the previous years roster was better just because a couple of "name" players are gone. Anyone remember when Byrd walked? People wanted to nail DW to cross and called Ralph cheap. Hows Byrd doing in New Orleans btw?

Levitre really turned the Titan's line around though...

talent level:

an non effort Mario, I haven't even thought about Bradham never thought he was anything, Hogan always drew the one on one coverage and they threw it to him just didn't come up with enough plays, Karlos hurts some negated by Bush, Gillislee.

Not having Manny setting the edge is my primary concern, Shaq injury sucks but at this point of their career Manny is better and i didn't understand the cut. Hopefully Lo Alexander and Worthy can step in. Ragland is replacing Brown who replaced Bradham...Browns now back in- he's good player the key will be using Spikes right.

scheme:

preseason doesn't mean a thing BUT you can see with the starters in there Preston more at home, secondary depth and yes guys buying in they just play faster when added together the defense will be much better.

Have to get the opener we are better than Baltimore period.

Can you see these things changing this year with Rex at the helm? Is it being year 2 enough or is the defense just too convoluted to keep up with the rapid pace opponents threw at it last year and will do again this year?

I think they simplified a lot of it this year. Both Rob and Rex seemed like they looked at it that the substitutions need to be simplified, as do they pre-snap checks. Copycat league - and currently everyone is going with more pace.

To a man, anyone who has watched Bills D this offseason said the communication is 100 times better...people are in the right places, very vocal and understand exactly what they are being asked to do...

I honestly think this is going to be one of the bigger stories in the national media this year..."Rex's Ressurection" of our defense...it's not a Ressurection at all, just having players who are buying in to the system and playing it the way it should be played

what!? Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams , the only two leadership guys on defense , who hardly saw the field, sidelines or locker room last year are back, and the cancer Mario Williams is gone... plus upgrade in coaching the Rex D with Rob and Ed Reed. plus they know the D now (did not know it last year) .

Always amazed at how mentally destroyed bills fans can always find the negative...always

this is the best roster + coaching staff + O and D schemes this franchise has enjoyed since the days of Wade Phillips

Mentally destroyed Bills fans would have been right 16 years in a row - just saying - I've been an optimistic sucker for most of those years hell I'm optimistic this year

To be fair here.....

I loved Schwartz D......and I did not like the production of Rex D last year.

I am however a big fan of the 3-4 Defense.....it is unpredictable and forces a QB to think about where the pressure is gonna come from on a particular play. I was a fan of the Steelers DC.....I am a fan of Wade Phillips.

I am hopeful that it just took a little longer with our group and Rex

I'm also a big fan of a 3-4 one-gap scheme defense like Wade Phillps ran last year in Denver.

However, what I really dislike was last years Bills defense in which Rex Ryan ran more of a two-gap run-stopping scheme when he clearly didn't have the proper personnel to run it. Which when you think about it makes little sense when those highly paid pass rushers were more suited to...you know...pass rush!

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/6/25/5841992/playing-the-run-on-defense-1-gap-vs-2-gap-schemes

The biggest difference between the schemes is the one-gap the players are asked to rush and penetrate and in the two-gap the players are asked to read and react to control their gaps. Combine this scheme with not calling many blitzes and you can see why the sack total fell to the worst in team history in 2015.

We can expect the communication between players to be improved this year as we have seen this in the preseason. What we don't know is what scheme Ryan will mostly run and if the other problems are fixed. Like the penalties, the late player substitutions and late incoming play calls. The poor game day management in some games. Most importantly will the defensive game plans prove fruitful In all games and not just the ones Ryan wants revenge in or just against the AFC East teams. Like I've been saying, Ryan has a lot to prove this year.

Mentally destroyed Bills fans would have been right 16 years in a row - just saying - I've been an optimistic sucker for most of those years hell I'm optimistic this year

Good Man !!

waste of breath to be otherwise.

and prolly is a word.

it all about the dialect.

merriam is slow to accept change and webster is a veritable curmudgeon in these matters.

Accept the future state till it ain't the future state and has now become the past.

Go Bills !!

I'm also a big fan of a 3-4 one-gap scheme defense like Wade Phillps ran last year in Denver.

However, what I really dislike was last years Bills defense in which Rex Ryan ran more of a two-gap run-stopping scheme when he clearly didn't have the proper personnel to run it. Which when you think about it makes little sense when those highly paid pass rushers were more suited to...you know...pass rush!

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/6/25/5841992/playing-the-run-on-defense-1-gap-vs-2-gap-schemes

The biggest difference between the schemes is the one-gap the players are asked to rush and penetrate and in the two-gap the players are asked to read and react to control their gaps. Combine this scheme with not calling many blitzes and you can see why the sack total fell to the worst in team history in 2015.

We can expect the communication between players to be improved this year as we have seen this in the preseason. What we don't know is what scheme Ryan will mostly run and if the other problems are fixed. Like the penalties, the late player substitutions and late incoming play calls. The poor game day management in some games. Most importantly will the defensive game plans prove fruitful In all games and not just the ones Ryan wants revenge in or just against the AFC East teams. Like I've been saying, Ryan has a lot to prove this year.

The fun is , we don't know.

Wolf playing possum. Prolly best stay on those toes agin' the Ole Bills

Looking at the Bills roster this year I'd say they have less talent than the team that started 2015

Gone Mario Williams, Manny Lawson, Nigel Bradham, Karlos Williams, Chris Hogan,

Injured Shaq Lawson, Reggie Ragland , Chris Gragg

Suspended 4 games Marcell Dareus

What the Bills did not get done in the off-season - Big red zone WR, better TE depth, another pass rusher,

The good news is it seems Watkins, Clay, McCoy, and Taylor may all play together in relatively good health for the first game, IMO for the Bills to make the play offs none of these guys can miss more than 1 game

On defense I'll guess we will see if buy in to Rex's scheme can overcome loss of talent

Dareus missing 4 games is a big deal- net loss

Mario's production, not talent, last season is replaceable by Shaq even in 10 games.... Push

Hogan replaced by the other 2-3 guys maybe one of them has a higher ceiling in this offense- push

Zach Brown isn't all that much better or worse than Nigel- push

Manny- will miss him, maybe be a small loss, but Lorax offsets at a minimum by beating him out to make the team. Push

Reggie and j-will, net gain over departures of k-will and dixson

Injuries are all TBD but they did escape preseason with few injuries

I'm not sure it's easy to conclude which way the roster moved this year... It's different, but sort of looks the same

Dareus missing 4 games is a big deal- net loss

Mario's production, not talent, last season is replaceable by Shaq even in 10 games.... Push

Hogan replaced by the other 2-3 guys maybe one of them has a higher ceiling in this offense- push

Zach Brown isn't all that much better or worse than Nigel- push

Manny- will miss him, maybe be a small loss, but Lorax offsets at a minimum by beating him out to make the team. Push

Reggie and j-will, net gain over departures of k-will and dixson

Injuries are all TBD but they did escape preseason with few injuries

I'm not sure it's easy to conclude which way the roster moved this year... It's different, but sort of looks the same

Let's hope we can add to this...

Gilmore healthier - net gain

Shady healthier - net gain

Sammy healthier - net gain

Tyrod both healthier and better in Year 2 - net gain

Defensive unit understands assignments - and communicates - better - net gain