Bills claim OL Patrick Lewis

From what I gather, Seahawks fans are upset with the way Carroll tends to undervalue the center position. Many are still irked about the Max Unger trade, and many are upset about losing Lewis. Looks like they moved an OT to center and that player surpassed Lewis for the starting job. That's all I got. This guy HAS to be a better depth player than Velasco anyway.

From my viewpoint, i am sad to say, i agree. not pleased with his work. I can imagine he knows his shelf life is winding down.

Live and learn for the Bills

For anyone that loves the DMV as much as you...

Those sloths seem so nice though. how could some one get angry with them??

You have children i hope. : )

thanks for the lighthearted break Common

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Seattle Times:

The Seahawks went 6-3 in Lewis’ starts last season, which included each of the last seven games when Seattle went on an offensive explosion to rally and get back into the playoffs...

But with the emergence of Britt, who played left guard last season before being moved to center, the Seahawks apparently decided [Lewis' salary of $1.67 million] was more than they needed to pay a backup center — and since none of it was guaranteed the team will save all of it against the salary cap giving the team a little added financial flexibility as they enter the final week of the preseason, a time when players cut by other teams are often added to the roster, and trades are also commonly made.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-waive-center-patrick-lewis-as-they-continue-roster-cutdown-to-75/

Edited by hondo in seattle

While the line may not have gotten much better according to PFF, Lewis was their best lineman last year: https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-why-its-not-too-late-to-fix-seahawks-o-line/

Curious.

Indeed it is.

investigative reporting is in order. Do we know of anyone capable?

Dunne is gone. Perhaps Erik Turner or RQuinn

From the Seattle Times:

The Seahawks went 6-3 in Lewis’ starts last season, which included each of the last seven games when Seattle went on an offensive explosion to rally and get back into the playoffs...

But with the emergence of Britt, who played left guard last season before being moved to center, the Seahawks apparently decided [Lewis' salary of $1.67 million] was more than they needed to pay a backup center — and since none of it was guaranteed the team will save all of it against the salary cap giving the team a little added financial flexibility as they enter the final week of the preseason, a time when players cut by other teams are often added to the roster, and trades are also commonly made.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-waive-center-patrick-lewis-as-they-continue-roster-cutdown-to-75/

Thanks, you posted as i typed the query

From the Seattle PI:

With Lewis in the lineup, the Seahawks offense started to click in the second half of the season, averaging over 50 yards of total offense more per game giving up just 15 sacks over the last eight weeks of the campaign.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/football/article/Seahawks-cuts-75-man-roster-9192007.php

Indeed it is.

investigative reporting is in order. Do we know of anyone capable?

Dunne is gone. Perhaps Erik Turner or RQuinn

Thanks, you posted as i typed the query

You're welcome. I thought the local Seattle papers might have a useful POV.

Sounds like a solid backup.

Edited by hondo in seattle

From the Seattle PI:

With Lewis in the lineup, the Seahawks offense started to click in the second half of the season, averaging over 50 yards of total offense more per game giving up just 15 sacks over the last eight weeks of the campaign.

http://www.seattlepi.com/sports/football/article/Seahawks-cuts-75-man-roster-9192007.php

You're welcome. I thought the local Seattle papers might have a useful POV.

Sounds like a solid backup.

Our Man on the scene !

Hoping he fits well with Roman and Kromer

It is becoming rather fun isn't it. I have mentioned once and now agin, Whaley has built a decent pro scouting program.

And i am now thinking, that is Much more valuable than the draft in the grand scheme

Most def. Long gone are the days where we expect ALL of our draft picks to become Hall of Famers cuz we didn't do much in free agency.

From what I gather, Seahawks fans are upset with the way Carroll tends to undervalue the center position. Many are still irked about the Max Unger trade, and many are upset about losing Lewis. Looks like they moved an OT to center and that player surpassed Lewis for the starting job. That's all I got. This guy HAS to be a better depth player than Velasco anyway.

Yeah, that trade didn't make much sense. They made it to get a Pro Bowl TE in Graham and then misused him. Of course, maybe he was overrated since the Saints plugged in Ben Watson and he did very well and now are using Fleener.

It is becoming rather fun isn't it. I have mentioned once and now agin, Whaley has built a decent pro scouting program.

And i am now thinking, that is Much more valuable than the draft in the grand scheme

'Tis the season to be plugging specific holes. Like German smear mortar in a brick wall.

It is the bit of his performance the Whaley sucks crowd always conveniently forget. His ability to find depth guys like Bryant and Charles and Hogan and Wynn and Rambo and Ty Powell and Butler and TD Mike who have all played a part on this team the last couple of years even if they are not all here now.

Let's hope the likes of Worthy and the couple of linebackers we have brought in are the latest examples. You have to keep your roster stocked with those solid FA depth pick ups.

Absolutely. The Pro Player Personnel watch the waiver wire and keep an eye on players that the team had on their draft boards - going back years. That's one big reason not to clean house every two to three years. It's like giving yourself a lobotomy. Each draft class has a lifespan and each player in it has their own career trajectory. So if you had someone on your board and a few years later he becomes available, you show some interest if it's a match.

Wow, it's rare to see a personnel move by the Bills that isn't met with hearty skepticism around here...looks like picking up Lewis is almost universally seen as a positive move!

How can anyone possibly criticize this move? I mean, without sounding like an idiot?

The C at Seattle - Justin Britt - has played just about every OL position there. I have yet to see him truly beaten off the line. If any of you like OL play - watch this guy. Special.

I've seen so much criticism of Lewis over the past year or so from Seahawks fans.

, Seahawks fans are upset with the way Carroll tends to undervalue the center position. Many are still irked about the Max Unger trade, and many are upset about losing Lewis. .

There you go...

Indeed it is.

investigative reporting is in order.

It's his 4th team in 4 seasons...

I know nothing about the play of Lewis, but I'll say this: the BILLS have done a relatively solid job in finding good talent from other teams and if they believe that his value is above anyone else outside the entrenched starters on the line, then I'm good with it. To me DW in this regard has earned our trust. No GM is perfect, and no GM has all the information, but far more often than not in the last few years, these kinds of moves wind-up being good ones. Additionally, he did start for a Super Bowl caliber team and as others noted, he was quite good on that line, so maybe he as a player has earned at least a short leash from us as fans to see what he can contribute.

The C at Seattle - Justin Britt - has played just about every OL position there. I have yet to see him truly beaten off the line. If any of you like OL play - watch this guy. Special.

Yea I liked Britt at guard. I don't know who they have moved into guard now with Britt going over to centre? They obviously feel Britt at C plus new G > Britt at LG and Lewis at C.

FWIW, from PFF earlier this year:

4. Fernando Velasco

2015 team: Carolina Panthers

Another player who offers some experience at guard, Velasco has played limited snaps over the past two seasons in Carolina, including 116 in 2015. He graded positively in that playing time, looking competent on both run and passing plays, but any team considering him should look at 2012, Velasco’s best season by far. If he can regain that form, he could provide a decent medium-term option (age 31 when the season starts), but otherwise Velasco can at least provide average play in a reserve role based on last season.

5. Patrick Lewis

2015 team: Seattle Seahawks

Lewis has graded below average over the last two seasons in Seattle and struggled at the point of attack in the team’s two playoff games. He’s a young and likely cheap backup option who’s shown glimpses, with particularly solid performances in Weeks 11, 13, and 17.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-5-free-agent-guards-and-centers/