New Era sign is atrocious

mrags

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oddly, the add on above the scoreboard in that pic is photoshopped. It hasn't been put up yet. It's not there at this time. The posts it's held under by stop at the top of the billboard.

Ha! I actually thought the entire thing was shopped at first glance...

Ha! I actually thought the entire thing was shopped at first glance...

just the New Era part of it.

So technically until that part gets done the only New Era logos or name are on the small portions on the ends.

it is pretty bad though.. looks like a billboard you'd see on some interstate.. but hey they paid for it so they get to do what they want

Currently it's just a banner and not a painted logo. Someone stated earlier it could be temporary or a rotational banner. Either way, I think painting the New Era logo would be the way to go.

I'm betting that...sometime during week 3, when, either Sammy Watkins is hauling in his 2nd TD of the day, or, the defense is giving up a long run because yet another LB was out of position...

...I won't be thinking "all of this would be better if it wasn't for that that stupid sign out front". :rolleyes:

By the by, if Sammy is hauling in his 2nd TD in Wk 3, this is exactly what I'll be thinking: "Oh boy is this great?"

Edited by OCinBuffalo

They don't owe Ralph Wilson anything?

You immediately lose all credibility with all clear thinking Bills fans with that statement.

!!!!!

Well, people have said a lot in my 10k+ posts but no one has ever said that I've lost credibility.

You didn't answer my question regarding some guys that were better owners than Ralph.

Who owes Ralph what, exactly? And why?

Apparently a bronze statue and a plaza named after him are insufficient. They should do what the Giants did for Wellington Mara. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I was just a pup when the Stadium was built and found some of this interesting. it's a wiki page, anyone remember this?

An original franchise of the American Football League in 1960, the Buffalo Bills played their first thirteen seasons at War Memorial Stadium, a multi-use WPA project stadium that opened in 1938, located on Buffalo's East Side. While suitable for AFL play in the 1960s, the "Rockpile" (as the stadium came to be nicknamed), was in disrepair, in a neighborhood increasingly subject to white flight and urban decay, and, with a capacity of under 47,000, undersized for a National Football League team. The league mandate instituted after the AFL–NFL merger of 1970 dictated a minimum of 50,000 seats.

In early 1971, owner Ralph Wilson was exploring options to relocate the team, possibly to Seattle, with other cities such as Memphis and Tampa soon expressing interest as well. The potential loss of the team hastened the stadium project and Rich Stadium opened in 1973. The location and construction of the stadium in Erie County were the source of years of litigation, which ended with a financial settlement for a developer who had planned to erect a domed stadium in Lancaster. However, plans changed because it was not wanted to be close to Lancaster High School. The stadium was ultimately built by Frank Schoenle and his construction company. Stadium bonds were approved by the county legislature in September 1971.

Naming rights

Rich Products, a Buffalo-based food products company, signed a 25-year, $1.5 million deal ($60,000 per year), by which the venue would be called "Rich Stadium"; one of the earliest examples of the sale of naming rights in North American sports. (The name was somewhat of a compromise, after Bills owner and founder Ralph Wilson rejected the name Rich wanted to use, "Coffee Rich Park.") By a vote of 16 to 4, the county legislature approved the name in November 1972, despite a matching offer from Wilson to name it "Buffalo Bills Stadium."

When the Bills organization regularly referred to the stadium without the "Rich" name, Rich Products brought a $7.5 million lawsuit against the team in 1976. After the original deal expired after a quarter century in 1998, the stadium was renamed in honor of Wilson. Rich Products balked at paying a greatly increased rights fee, which would have brought the price up to par with other NFL stadiums.

They don't owe him anything!!! In fact, what they've done far exceeds what other teams have done. They built him a statue and named a plaza after him!! Why don't Wellington Mara, Lamar Hunt or George Halas have their names on stadiums?

I agree. There are plenty of ways to honor Ralph besides keeping the name of the Stadium, the ones you mentioned, plus the wall of fame comes immediately to mind. It's not like the stadium was named in memory of Ralph, that would be different. It's been named the Ralph for 17 years, it's a new regime, time for a change...

Edited by ricojes

It's Pegula's team, and he can put whatever sign he wants. Creating more profit like 25 other teams is a good business decision. I have zero problem with the name. Besides, it's somewhat fitting calling it, New Era Stadium.

the name isn't my issue.

So glad I have to keep repeating that.