TOD 7/29: Kim Pegula - active owner? Is this good?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you think Mario quitting is in large part on Rex? As HC, isn't it his job to motivate his players and see that they give their all, week in and week out, and if they don't, replace them? Mario didn't quit on Marrone, did he? I don't understand why Rex gets a pass for that.

^^^ it has never even been adressed or asked by anyone^^^

Firstly I want to let you know I have high regard for your thoughts on this game because I know when you watch football you see things I and others do not. For example I was way off on the proper way to evaluate arm strength until like 7 years ago, the first time I saw you break down the telling nature of the 25-yard out. Then there was the 1,000 attempt test and on and on. So I thank you for engaging with me and sharing some of that with us.

I should've been more clear but my first point about them prioritizing chewing clock over scoring points, I was thinking about no-huddle situations. Its not a real complex thing, relatively speaking, to run a hurry-up. Just about every QB that steps on the field in the NFL is able to operate that way when prepared by their coaching staff for the situation. The Bills had a disturbing habit of huddling up, sending people in motion, declining to use timeouts and burning the entire play clock when they clearly had an opportunity to score, and more urgency would've increased their chances. A couple of examples would be the comedy of inefficiency at the end of the 1st half against Dallas and the end of the first half against I think it was the Colts week 1. If I recall Karlos Williams scored on a 30+ yard handoff with about 30 seconds left in the half, essentially a give-up play. The inside straight draw hit on the river, and by all means celebrate it and enjoy it to the fullest when it happens, but that fortunate result doesn't mean I'd want to play the hand the same way going forward.

I don't know what to think about the defense this coming year I'll be honest. They had a confused, messy game against Washington Football Club as late as week 15 with the season on the line. But I agree it was generally better late in the year. I have concern the complexity of what we do may continue to work to our detriment in year 2 but only the future knows. I think we'll at least be nasty against the run with Ragland aboard and make teams one-dimensional.

Re: versatility of the passing game, Roman was 1-2 with SF when opponents scored 30+ points and an ugly 0-5 in such games last year with the Bills. I don't think its an offense built to come from behind or win shootouts (which is more important than it used to be) because the passing game can't stand on its own. When they make plays in the passing game its usually out of a run set and off play action, fooling the defense. Its tough to win a game with only that when you get down multiple scores.

I know many put the above on Tyrod, maybe I have a higher opinion of Tyrod than some others? I think if you put him, Watkins, Clay with coaches who know how to spread the field and flood deep zones with run n shoot, these players would be good enough to give us more of a chance to win those types of games. Like even in year one I think Mike McCarthy would've had days where we just slung the rock and were unbeatable because of it, even if our D wasn't great.

The confusion...I hope it goes away. And I hope the 46 defense or whatever he's up to this year can work in 2016. GO BILLS

Some good food for thought here, Aaron. And thanks for the kind words about QB evaluation but there are many ways to do that. I just subscribe to old school scouting axioms. There is still no better test than that long out from the far hash and ON TIME. The timing is critical because some QBs have to double hitch that throw. Hell, I remember when Fitz triple hitched an attempt to Stevie and Revis made an easy pick as a result.

Regarding the offense, while Rex is ultimately responsible and the buck stops at his desk, I am putting the onus for all of it on Roman. Rex has very little to do with it, actually. There are legit reasons for Roman doing what he did given the nature of the inexperience at QB going into last year, but that 2 minute offense, for example, was atrocious. Every bit as confused as our defense was at times. I look for it to be better with an improved TT this season, though. And I've already mentioned TT finding more comfort going to the middle of the field. If one of our speed burners can stay healthy and occupy a safety, I think our offense can be special given the talent at the skill positions.

The defense is all on Rex, though. He has to put up even though he is incapable of shutting up. Most of us predicted it would be half a season before the defense started looking better and that held true for the most part. It is a more complex system, especially compared to Schwartz's schemes and I'm hoping a full year in the system results in a better performance as we all do. We'll see.

GO BILLS!!!

Don't you think Mario quitting is in large part on Rex? As HC, isn't it his job to motivate his players and see that they give their all, week in and week out, and if they don't, replace them? Mario didn't quit on Marrone, did he? I don't understand why Rex gets a pass for that.

I think motivation and attitude is a personal responsibility so no, I put it on Mario and Mario only.

But I agree that Rex Ryan should have had the balls to sit his lazy ass on the bench. Lockerroom politics played a part in the decision not to, but still, enough players were pissed at Mario's lack of effort that RR could have sat Mario without it causing a problem. He should have done that, no question, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

Some good food for thought here, Aaron. And thanks for the kind words about QB evaluation but there are many ways to do that. I just subscribe to old school scouting axioms. There is still no better test than that long out from the far hash and ON TIME. The timing is critical because some QBs have to double hitch that throw. Hell, I remember when Fitz triple hitched an attempt to Stevie and Revis made an easy pick as a result.

Regarding the offense, while Rex is ultimately responsible and the buck stops at his desk, I am putting the onus for all of it on Roman. Rex has very little to do with it, actually. There are legit reasons for Roman doing what he did given the nature of the inexperience at QB going into last year, but that 2 minute offense, for example, was atrocious. Every bit as confused as our defense was at times. I look for it to be better with an improved TT this season, though. And I've already mentioned TT finding more comfort going to the middle of the field. If one of our speed burners can stay healthy and occupy a safety, I think our offense can be special given the talent at the skill positions.

The defense is all on Rex, though. He has to put up even though he is incapable of shutting up. Most of us predicted it would be half a season before the defense started looking better and that held true for the most part. It is a more complex system, especially compared to Schwartz's schemes and I'm hoping a full year in the system results in a better performance as we all do. We'll see.

GO BILLS!!!

I almost forgot how you educated TSW about Jairus Byrd's shortcomings when me and just about everybody else thought he was Superman. Fitz could hardly complete a 10-yard out let alone a 25er on time from the far hash :lol: though he was a clever, feisty little fella. Perfect fit for Chan but would be a terrible fit for Roman.

Now maybe Roman scaled back some things for Tyrod in his first year as a starter. But looking at his tenure in San Francisco, it wouldn't seem to be a drastically different, far more balanced offense than what we had here last season. His passing yardage ranks from 2011-2014 were 29, 23, 30 and 30. Maybe there will be some evolution but how can one anticipate a significant leap forward? I think its a shame because by being one-dimensional we make winning harder than it needs to be. (over-simplification: if the defense fails, we lose). I'm not saying its impossible to win with defense, running, play action and ball control, just that there are coaches who can win that way and a totally different way, and we don't seem to have one of them. I also have to question, if Taylor has the potential to blossom the way a Cam Newton did, would we see that come to fruition in such a simple passing game. How can he achieve greatness when the coach is incapable of asking him to be great?

Hopefully the defense is really good and we can grind out wins, because that seems to be the only wins we can get.

Edited by Aaron

I almost forgot how you educated TSW about Jairus Byrd's shortcomings when me and just about everybody else thought he was Superman. Fitz could hardly complete a 10-yard out let alone a 25er on time from the far hash :lol: though he was a clever, feisty little fella. Perfect fit for Chan but would be a terrible fit for Roman.

Now maybe Roman scaled back some things for Tyrod in his first year as a starter. But looking at his tenure in San Francisco, it wouldn't seem to be a drastically different, far more balanced offense than what we had here last season. His passing yardage ranks from 2011-2014 were 29, 23, 30 and 30. Maybe there will be some evolution but how can one anticipate a significant leap forward? I think its a shame because by being one-dimensional we make winning harder than it needs to be. (over-simplification: if the defense fails, we lose). I'm not saying its impossible to win with defense, running, play action and ball control, just that there are coaches who can win that way and a totally different way, and we don't seem to have one of them. I also have to question, if Taylor has the potential to blossom the way a Cam Newton did, would we see that come to fruition in such a simple passing game. How can he achieve greatness when the coach is incapable of asking him to be great?

Hopefully the defense is really good and we can grind out wins, because that seems to be the only wins we can get.

I can because Roman was saddled first by Alex Smith's limitations to stretch the field and then Kaepernick's utter inability to operate from the pocket. Also, TT actually EVOLVED as the year went on last year. As I mentioned earlier, we led the league in big plays overall and ranked very high in big plays passing. I'd be shocked if Roman and TT didn't carry that forward from last season.

Hopefully, the defense indeed.

GO BILLS!!!

She's why Rex Ryan is here. And Rob Ryan.

No. It's not good.

Not one !@#$ing bit.

Kim and Terry are the reason the Bills are still the Buffalo Bills.

If you or I or anyone else spent over a billion dollars on the team, it should not surprise anyone that the owner has the absolute right to be active.

The Pegula haters at TBN and all of you Rex haters here are beyond ridiculous.

Carry on with your bashing.

People here really have Rex figured out. It reminds me of how we were all convinced Wade Phillips had to be a moron because he didn't wear a headset.

Great point. I remember how many geniuses here made that critique over and over and over again.

It is disappointing that the mods seem to let the Rex Haters initiate or take over so so many threads but close down other threads very quickly. At this point, I probably should not be surprised.

Edited by Peter

Sexist comments aside I've read, she is the reason we have the Bills in Buffalo. She's invested in the team, and new ownership usually takes a couple of years at least to get an organization running in the right direction. It's an evaluation process just like when large companies take over other acquisitions. I've dealt with it several times in my career.

She's giving Rex and crew probably two years and then making a decision. I'm biased on the Whaley are, as overall I like the decisions he's made, and believe if he had full control over the hire, probably would have picked a different coach. That doesn't mean I'm against Rex, as I'm a wait and see on his crew.

One area that really chaps me though is I'm finishing the "All or Nothing" on Amazon for the Cardinals, and just cannot believe what a bonehead move to pick Maroon over Arians. He was available when we hired Marrone.

There are a couple scenarios where she COULD end up being the sole owner of this franchise within the next 20 years... (None of them good for ole TPegs)... So she might as well get used to it.... More power to her!... Not crazy about what she has to say regarding "continuity" at this point, but hey, She might change her perspective if Rex, Rob, and Doug get to tanking the season really bad.

Edited by #34fan

I'm not really for any owner being involved from an X's and O's standpoint, or personnel. They should write checks and choose the people who call the x's and O's, pick personnel, then back away. That said, if I owned them I'd almost certainly meddle where I shouldn't. From that standpoint, her being involved vs anyone else doesn't bother me. Seems to be a bit of a loaded question.

Women are taking over the world. Hillary as President and Kim running the NFL . Wait til she goes to those owner meetings and gets the whip out

From Meereen to Westeros, the women are taking over.

I have little basis to judge her competence at this stage, but considering she's 18 years younger than Terry, there's a good chance she may be the sole owner one day. Therefore I'm very happy she's heavily involved.