What is Gilmore actually worth to the Bills....

Corners are getting paid in todays NFL. Its a passing league. There is nothing worse than watching your team play with JV type corners. After Gilmore the Bills have Darby and no one else. Pay him

Tyrod should get a new contract. I say pay Gilmore and figure that one out later.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I certainly hope Darby becomes a stub CB, at this point, it's hard to assume that. I truly believe a huge part of his success this year was because Gilmore was on the other side.

It's really dangerous to assume that if he becomes the #1 CB, he will automatically be able to fill the role. I always think back to the Peerless Price trade. It was assumed Price could be a number 1 in ATL (huge mistake that TD wasted a great draft pick on) and that slow, small, bad hands Josh Reed could be a #2 here.

Gilmore is a typical Bill of the last 20 years. When you need a big play, he usually fades.[/quote

What a silly comment. Aaron Schobel Syndrome. Bills fans love blaming the quality players on this team as the reason they are bad. It's all guys like Gilmore, Schobel, Kyle Williams, Lee Evans fault they miss the playoffs. It has zero to do with Having Qbs like Losman or Edwards.

Great take. The Gilmore situation is weird. Most fans become insane homers about their guys. But I think the national perception of Gilmore is higher than Bills fans. He is going to get paid a lot of money. If he talked or danced more, he would be more popular.

Its a gamble no doubt to say that Darby takes over the number 1 role from Gilmore.....

but

That is what our scouting department is for.....Darby was flat out awesome in his first year as a starting corner.

It comes down to dollars.....what if it becomes......a starting caliber QB or a top 10 corner? In that situation I take a starting caliber QB because frankly there are just not enough of them to go around.

Yes I would like both

Pay Tyrod if he earns it and Franchise Stephon if need be.

Bills can get both done though.

Gilmore should remain a Bill

He we likely get paid by Buffalo (overpaid in most fans eyes) and things will turn out just fine.

Hopefully Darby gets paid next and then See More rises and take over Stephon's role.

Thats how it goes when it goes well.

Unless we change defenses again back to a Tampa 2

If they let Gilmore walk we are going to be wondering why we didn't draft Alexander out of Clemson this year. It would make sense to have a talented rookie groomed for a year instead of hoping a cornerback comes here and plays lights out year 1.

Lets keep in mind how long they take to develop? Darby is an anomaly generally speaking

Its a gamble no doubt to say that Darby takes over the number 1 role from Gilmore.....

but

That is what our scouting department is for.....Darby was flat out awesome in his first year as a starting corner.

It comes down to dollars.....what if it becomes......a starting caliber QB or a top 10 corner? In that situation I take a starting caliber QB because frankly there are just not enough of them to go around.

Yes I would like both

You're right. It is a problem of drafting well. Some tough decisions will be made. I think Gilmore is really, really good & it will be a tough loss. I hate losing cbs in a passing league. But you can't pay everyone.

Pay Tyrod if he earns it and Franchise Stephon if need be.

Bills can get both done though.

Gilmore should remain a Bill

He we likely get paid by Buffalo (overpaid in most fans eyes) and things will turn out just fine.

Hopefully Darby gets paid next and then See More rises and take over Stephon's role.

Thats how it goes when it goes well.

Unless we change defenses again back to a Tampa 2

Lets keep in mind how long they take to develop? Darby is an anomaly generally speaking

That's my thinking, if they brought in a stud corner this year he would be a lot better of than some rookie who is flying by the seat of his pants next year. It's forward thinking, something this organization should put more stock into! Edited by Commonsense

First, it's not our money, and the cap keeps going up so it's a moving target. Second, it's not he's a top 5 CB, but what the market commands with escalating contracts. Norman is not a top 5 CB either. He had one good year last year, and was decent prior to that but he made it count as Washington wanted a better CB.

When persons this no, oh let him go, the question is always, "ok, who real,aces him and we don't go backwards". There is no one or we'd let him walk.

He may not be worth $15 mil avg, but Heid worth #1 money. The previous Philly GM was on NFLR the other morning and he made the point agents are so worked up about guaranteed money, and good GM's are worried about the cap. The way he kept his team intact making the playoffs, championships, and one SB with Reid and McNabb was giving on guaranteed money, and saving on overall per year contract price.

I've said this for awhile is how we keep Gilmore. Give him more than Norman on a guarantee with the contingencies Norman had, and save on the overall yearly cost.

Once again I say that if Gilmore is half as good as some of you think, teams would be beating down our door to trade us a first round draft choice for him.

Look, it IS a passing league, and a team WILL pay him, but he is certainly not worth the 14 or 15 million per year he will want. I would rather take the first round pick and pay Tyrod.

This team will probably win 5 games or less if Tyrod isn't good or gets hurt. I happen to have a lot of faith in him and would strongly prefer spending the big bucks on a quarterback than giving Gilmore a huge guaranteed contract.

Once again I say that if Gilmore is half as good as some of you think, teams would be beating down our door to trade us a first round draft choice for him.

Look, it IS a passing league, and a team WILL pay him, but he is certainly not worth the 14 or 15 million per year he will want. I would rather take the first round pick and pay Tyrod.

This team will probably win 5 games or less if Tyrod isn't good or gets hurt. I happen to have a lot of faith in him and would strongly prefer spending the big bucks on a quarterback than giving Gilmore a huge guaranteed contract.

Why would a team give up a 1st round pick for a guy who will probably be a FA? Also, how often do teams trade 1st round picks for veteran players?

Why would a team give up a 1st round pick for a guy who will probably be a FA? Also, how often do teams trade 1st round picks for veteran players?

And you're the man Bill but you also wanted to give Levitre a big time contract. Gilmore is a much better player than Levitre was and plays a far more important position in today's NFL. Next to Qb, corner might be the second most important position.

And you're the man Bill but you also wanted to give Levitre a big time contract. Gilmore is a much better player than Levitre was and plays a far more important position in today's NFL.

All of this. If Gilmore hit FA there would be teams climbing all over themselves to sign him.

As I've said before, Gilmore's baseline starts at Janoris Jenkins. Average salary of $12.5m, guaranteed money totalling $28.8m.

Gilmore is better than Jenkins. He's 2 years younger. He's a prime fit for Rex Ryan.

$15m a year is steep money but I'd pay it if I have to. If we don't, someone else will. It's not about how much you're worth, it's about how much you can convince people you are.

Edited by Blokestradamus

The Bills have a little leverage now that Gilmore did not make the top 100 list.

At the least they have him for $11M this season , and a tag next season. Not sure about our future cap space beyond that.

If the cap fits he is worth it , I just hate the guaranteed money part if he gets injury prone.

franchise tag 2016 for CB is $13.952M

Edited by ALF

Whether Gilmore is a top-5, top-10, or top-20 corner is immaterial. He's a bona fide #1 corner, and he's going to get paid like one (here or elsewhere).

That said, he's among the 10 best corners in the game. He's excellent in coverage and matches up well against the bigger WRs in the league.

The myth of the shutdown corner would have folks believing that you can't be elite and allow a catch at any point in the season, but most folks that watch a lot of NFL games know the difference.

I watch every NFL game every week, and the guys that I believe can reasonably be put ahead of Gilmore include:

Sherman

Revis

Peterson

Norman

V. Davis

Beyond that, you've got a next group that is comprised of:

Gilmore

Slay

Haden

Harris Jr.

Trufant

Butler

So I suppose I'm fine ranking Gilmore anywhere from 6 to 11, but anywhere beyond that is, IMO, crazy talk.

I'm in this camp.

I don't think the comparisons to Byrd are accurate. Byrd seemed to be in the right place at the right time - but was certainly not in the right place all the time. However many picks he collected, he was out of position (or just plain beat) more often.

Gilmore, on the other hand, is truly good at his position. Him and Darby ought to make an awesome tandem this year. It'll be fun to watch. Losing Gilmore would hurt the Bills far more than losing Byrd.

With the exception that there's no way I could see him walking, I completely agree with this ^

Thanks. I don't see him walking either, I was just alluding to the "Bus Factor". I was pointing out that if something freakish were to happen with/to Gilmore (remote possibility that that is), then the team would need a near quality replacement to run Rex's scheme. So why gripe about paying him? The team would just wind up paying his replacement a huge contract instead - if they could even find one. Or they'd have to hope to hit on a high draft pick next year, which is not nearly as sure a bet. That's what top CBs cost in terms of contracts and/or draft picks and if your scheme requires them (and all do to some degree), then you've got to invest there.

$15m a year is steep money but I'd pay it if I have to. If we don't, someone else will. It's not about how much you're worth, it's about how much you can convince people you are.

For sure someone else will. I don't care about that logic though let them. You can't keep all your guys that are about to sign for top money deals at their position. Levitre and Byrd are good example to me of managing a team effectively. Personally I do see them letting Gilmore go. Not that I want to but if someone else will pay him 18 million doesn't mean we should.

And again I respond by saying that teams don't like to trade 1st round picks AND invest $15M/year for ANY player.

If they did, would we really see contract squabbles for players like Drew Brees, Von Miller, Muhammad Wilkerson, etc in this very offseason?

I understand this has most likely been discussed and I apologize if I'm rehashing. I was just curious what the consensus is. I believe since he has been here he has been in the top quarter of the league for cb's but just don't think he is worth top money. You tend to unfortunately lose some players along the way that you want to retain, but feel like especially with Tyrod hopefully getting a nice juicy contract next year, he is the type that inevitably will have to go. He has been very solid but a bit up and down and the best corners IMO are far more consistent.

If the Bills do extend him, it is what it is he is a good player and i will be satisfied with them doing so, just hope it is a decent deal for the bills and they don't overpay. I am kind of curious to see what they have with the rookie and vets they brought in and i don't expect them to play as well as Gilmore but hope the trade off is potentially worth it. I guess the possibility of franchising 1 more year is an option or maybe the case of our 1st rounder next year is once again a corner B-) . Just curious about the varied opinions here?

Interesting question.

As always, what he's worth to one team or us may vary depending upon circumstances, cap-room being among them.

Building and keeping an NFL roster is an ongoing battle in today's NFL, eh. It's also a huge shell game with and regarding opportunity costs. Mario was good, but not so good that he was worth tying up such an enormous piece of the cap and of real dollars.

As always, the question becomes one of what else one can get for the same money, not even necessarily in terms of the same position, but in any way.

One thing's for sure tho, you can only have so many highly paid players. As for me, I'll be content with whatever happens on this one. Glenn we needed, Dareus we needed, Taylor, we'll see after/during the season. Gilmore? For the money I'm not sure it's worth shedding tears if they don't keep him.

Same with Watkins, I got into this topic the other day, but IMO unless Watkins turns things around immediately, meaning staying healthy and putting up top-10 WR numbers, he won't be worth 5th year option money. Once you start getting into double-digit millions you'd better have players that can stay healthy to start.

I see no reason why the Bills can't get contracts done with both Gilmore and Taylor. Gilmore's cap hit this year is 11 million. By signing him with guaranteed money this year would likely save a large portion of that 11 million. Money that can be used to get Taylor signed as well. All they have to do is give Gilmore the vet minimum this year along with a signing bonus of guaranteed money. The remainder of his contract will pay a bigger salary but this year, the Bills save on money that counts against the cap.

Taylor could also be signed to a new contract before the season is over, some of which will come from the money the Bills save by only paying Gilmore the vet minimum for this year.

Edited by Rockinon

I see no reason why the Bills can't get contracts done with both Gilmore and Taylor. Gilmore's cap hit this year is 11 million. By signing him with guaranteed money this year would likely save a large portion of that 11 million. Money that can be used to get Taylor signed as well. All they have to do is give Gilmore the vet minimum this year along with a signing bonus of guaranteed money. The remainder of his contract will pay a bigger salary but this year, the Bills save on money that counts against the cap.

Taylor could also be signed to a new contract before the season is over, some of which will come from the money the Bills save by only paying Gilmore the vet minimum for this year.

Will Gilmore be satisfied with that? It doesn't sound as if he will if the media reports are true, about wanting to be paid like the best.