John Murphy's new co-host

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said Moorman because it makes sense. I thought he was still in the area.

Looking at the MO of Terry Pegula, he loves giving ex-players jobs including (and especially) in media. One aspect of keeping a positive image of the organizations with members of the NHLPA and NFLPA. After your career, we can take care of ya and maybe get you started in coaching or broadcasting.... or even just being a dignitary who visits suites, kicks back and schmoozes people.

Typically radio shows (and broadcasts) have a straight man/radio guy and a less polished guy. I would think John Murphy plays the straight man role well and is well versed in media, putting on a show, conducting interviews, etc. It seems logical that an ex-player takes the seat next to him. Having Sal in that other chair gives you 2 radio guys and that isn't usually a good combo. I dont believe Sal and Murph would be a good show.

I remember when the Sabres had Jeanneret and Harry Neale. Both hall of fame worthy broadcasters.... but they were awful as a pair. Both were too goofy and it fell flat. You need a straight-man. Its hard to believe, but Rob Ray holds that post pretty well.

If I were to bet, I would say it's going to be Rueben Brown. He has done a TV thing and I know he's sat in with Murph for shows, I'm thinking as recently as Febuary or March, when this decision was probably being made.

He didn't sound bad, has great knowledge of the game and loves the area.

If not him, it will be an ex-player that was beloved while here and even more after they left.