Topic of the day 6/27: What is your worst game day memory?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there are the obvious soul crushers:

- Wide Right - I honestly didn't speak for several days afterwards

- Homerun Throwback - one minute I was jumping up and hugging random strangers in a bar, the next I sat stunned as grown men and women filtered out onto the streets crying

After that there are a whole category of games where the Bills had to try, and try hard, to lose:

- Dallas MNF

- Opener against the Jags - last second TD setup when DB went for the INT instead of the knock down

- Opener against the Jets - Late kickoff return

- Opener against the Broncos - seriously, how do they allow that to happen when Denver has no timeouts?

- Game against Pittsburgh's scrubs - win and we get back to the playoffs but absolutely nobody came to play that day and the Bills were abused, at home

- McKelvin fumble against NE

Went to a game at Rich stadium in 1981 or 1982. It was cold and snowing and Bills were behind with very little time left. Thought we would leave early to beat the crowd. As we were outside walking to ourcar, we could hear the crowd roar. We missed a Fergy Hail Marry to Roland Hooks that won the game for Bills.

My first game ever was in the mid 70s. Me and my friend drove over from Rochester to see OJ. It was pouring rain and we left at halftime.

My last game in Buffalo was in 1999 and Bills scored a late touchdown to go ahead only to lose on a last second fieldgoal to NY Giants. It was a December game freezing cold and we flew back to Chicago only to run into obnoxious Giants fans at the airport.

When Ronnie Harmon dropped what would have been the game winning TD pass as time expired in the 4th during the 89 playoffs in was a heartbreaker.

The high: Bills beating the Pats 31-0 in 2003 home opener

The low: The Pats beating the Bills 31-0 in 2003 season finale.

For me it was on Sunday, October 26th, 1980... a Pats* game that The Bills won at home 31-13.

It burned in me a hatred for The Pats that I still hold today.

Sounds like an oxymoron doesn't it? Well, it isn't.

And, no. No betting was involved.

Why would beating the Pats burn you in hatred for them?

1. That season still hurts. Cribbs left for the USFL and a young, great team died that year.

2. Didn't Fergy have a pass deflect off someone's helmet in the endzone on our last ditch play?

Curtis Brown i think...was to busy shaking my head back and forth and just repeating" how can you get a delay a game after a timeout" about 30 times over. Way before graphics and playclock on the screen..so had no idea of the penalty...just could not believe it when it was announced

When Ronnie Harmon dropped what would have been the game winning TD pass as time expired in the 4th during the 89 playoffs in was a heartbreaker.

wasn't quite as time expired, Kelly threw a pick over the middle next play...Harmon stayed alive and got all his gambling debts wiped out.

Edited by plenzmd1

The loss to Denver (2007 opener?) for two reasons -- Kevin Everett paralyzed, and the Broncos won on a last second FG when they didn't have a TO but were still able to get the FG team onto the field.

I was at the game...nobody felt good afterwards.

I'll never forget it. Dickie J dialed up a 3rd down bomb to Lee Evans that was incomplete, giving Denver a free timeout before we punted the ball away. A running play there, we win the game.

Opener against Jax in 2004. GW TD force out as time expired. This came a few plays after Jimmy smith converted a 4th and like 20.

I recall it because my shouts of anger woke my newborn nephew, and so I felt especially bad.

By the way, London game last year gets honorable mention, given the early time and streaming aspects to it.

4th and 27, and Nate went for the INT instead of knocking it down. Then freaking Wilford on 4th down in the back of the end zone.

Two days that I don't really see too many Bills fans talk about: 11/30/2008 and 11/20/2011.

2008 and 2011 were two seasons where we showed hope throughout the first half of the season only to choke down the stretch. 11/30/2008 we lost 10-3 at home to a bad 49ers team and 11/30/2011 we were smoked 35-8 by the Dolphins only 2 weeks after they won their first game of the season. In both seasons we lost a number of games throughout the 2nd half of the season it was just that these were the two games that IMO really stuck as games that were very telling that we were crapping away seasons which once seemed so promising.

For me, my worst moment was when I had season tickets in the lower bowl on the 5 yard line (Elvis was about 15 rows down to my right). Brunell lines up and hits Jimmy Smith on the quick out right in front of me. Jimbo's career ends on the next series with the concussion. Jags 30, Bills 27, December 28, 1996.

Does anyone remember the home game vs the Pat's when we had bledsoe? We were driving down the field late in the game to take a lead. Then bledsoe gets strip sacked and richard Seymour runs down the field 70 yards to win the game for the Pat's.

Then there's the Sunday night at the Pat's maybe 2005 or 2006. We had a 16 point lead after halftime and slowly blew it.

Then theres the jp losman fumble against the jets

Also that KC Sunday night game where we scored the first 5 points of the game and ended up losing like 47-5. Priest holmes was good

i was at that !@#$ing Pats game with Bledsoe Edited by YoloinOhio

The high: Bills beating the Pats 31-0 in 2003 home opener

The low: The Pats beating the Bills 31-0 in 2003 season finale.

Nothing could be higher than the Frank Reich miracle against the Oilers.

A coworker and friend of mine died of a heart attack in the parking lot outside of the Ralph after the Broncos game in 19997. The traffic was so backed up that the ambulance could not get to him on time. I have not attended to many games after that.

Edited by The Monk

two worst in person for me

1) Already mentioned Jags playoff game

2) Dempsey game. Yes it was the opener, but as cold as i have ever been. Went into stadium with cotton T shirt and cotton shorts, friggen storm blows in start of second half and we are soaked to the bone , wind blowing like crazy in upper deck, truly as cold as i have ever been . Then that fugger misses a 33 yarder to win the game...and the streak continued! Still hate that guy.

That's the game where we got the ball with ~4:00 left down 7, moved briskly into their territory, the genius play call by Mularkey was to call a naked bootleg QB keeper for Bledsoe, right?

Yep. One of the worst playcalls that I've ever seen in my lifetime. Worse even than the Seahawks call to lose the Super Bowl, because there was never any hope of a naked bootleg working with Bledsoe running it. Sheer idiocy.

For me, the Dallas MNF game was just a huge blow to the nads. Crushing.

I didn't have the pleasure of watching McKelvin's kickoff return fumble against the Pats*** because I had boarded a plane right after Freddie scored to put the Bills up by 11. I thought it was in the bag, then I got off the plane to see the final score. I'm actually glad I didn't see it live.

I also think that 100-yard pick-6 against KC was one of the worst feelings I've had since that Dallas MNF game. It's hard to tell, though...there have been so many. So, so many.