Topic of the day 6/27: What is your worst game day memory?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man this thread is depressing - I have been to so many of these games.

November 8, 1970:

I was 11, and my Dad had gotten tickets for him, Mom and I to sit in the best seats under the roof. Seven bucks a piece and it seemed like way too much money to spend, and I was so excited. The tickets were on the bulletin board for months and I would just stare at them.

Morning of the game, Dad is acting strange and finally takes me for a walk and tells me his heart isn't feeling well and he can't go to the game. My sister goes in his place and my Mom somehow takes us down to the Rockpile. Drunk kids spill wine on my Bills blanket and burn cigarette holes in it. OJ tears up his knee on a KO return and is out for season. Bills lose 43-14. Worst day of my young life.

That's also the day I decided to take up drinking

November 8, 1970:

I was 11, and my Dad had gotten tickets for him, Mom and I to sit in the best seats under the roof. Seven bucks a piece and it seemed like way too much money to spend, and I was so excited. The tickets were on the bulletin board for months and I would just stare at them.

Morning of the game, Dad is acting strange and finally takes me for a walk and tells me his heart isn't feeling well and he can't go to the game. My sister goes in his place and my Mom somehow takes us down to the Rockpile. Drunk kids spill wine on my Bills blanket and burn cigarette holes in it. OJ tears up his knee on a KO return and is out for season. Bills lose 43-14. Worst day of my young life.

It has come to that for many of us.

Your story is quite analogous to life.

Hope you have become strong and resilient from life's often humorous lessons !

I know i have.

0:)

Edited by 3rdand12

November 8, 1970:

Quite a story..............I remember that game. Vs. Cincy...........And, then OJ was supposed to have surgery and then he woke up and he hadn't had it.

What did he tear, because it must not have been his ACL?

Yes, that has to be it, giving up 2 TDs in the last 2 mins of a game it looked they had in the books.

Honorable mention:

1. Bills/Jets- needing only to run out the clock, Losman goes back scrambling and fumbles and the Jets take it for the winning score.

2. Bills/New Eng- Pats obviously short of 1st down on 4th down but ref heard saying "just give it to them" and Pats go on to score winning TD

3. Bills/Dolphins in 1970's with OJ- exciting high scoring game- Mercury Morris is picked up and thrown down and fumbles. Pre-instant replay, refs still get together and discuss it but decide it's not a fumble. Shocked and angry Bills defense allow Fins RB to go about 50 yards untouched for a TD. Game over.

4. Bills/Jags- Jags score on TD pass on last play after on prior 4th down play, all Nate Clements had to do was knock the pass down but went for the INT and missed resulting in a big 1st down reception

Unfortunately I think I could've gone on for a few more

Quite a story..............I remember that game. Vs. Cincy...........And, then OJ was supposed to have surgery and then he woke up and he hadn't had it.

What did he tear, because it must not have been his ACL?

The book "Relentless" has a recap of the game and it just says a knee injury that did not require surgery.

It has come to that for many of us.

Your story is quite analogous to life.

Hope you have become strong and resilient from life's often humorous lessons !

I know i have.

0:)

Ha! I have, but it took me another 39 years and lots more miserable lessons, many of which involved the Bills.

October 11, 2009 Browns 6, Bills 3

Winning QB Derek Anderson 2-17 23 yds

9 false start penalties by the Bills

I was at that debacle. It is the worst professional game I ever saw in person or on TV. It was bad play by both teams and there were not any comical plays that at least you could laugh at. Plus the weather was not bad: no rain, upper 40s, and occasional wind gusts.

Tailgated in lot 1 all morning......burned our tickets and drove home. I've never done that before or since but the writing was on the wall that it was going to be one of the worst games in NFL history and I wasn't going to sit thru that garbage.

MCM was the worst for me........I found out what breaking into a cold sweat felt like. You will never see another "lateral" thrown that obviously forward like that and allowed again.

while the game sucked big balls, it was not a "win and your in" deal. The Jets also needed to lose to the Rams that day. That game was a very close game, and the Jets were actually winning when the Bills game went final. Jets game went to OT, but by then had pulled starters as thier playoff berth was assured.

Still an awful game, and never trusted Lindell after that awful miss.

Ah, its been a while, I thought Jets had already lost at that point, forgot it was the other way around...still, losing a must win game to potentially enter the playoffs riding a hot streak (we were 7-2 going into that game in our last 9 games if I am not mistaken) a bunch of backups led by a QB no one ever heard of or heard from again was inexcusable. It was pathetic...I mean it was literally a gimme win. Maybe it disgusts me more because of the several friends I have who are big Steeler fans, but that was very painful to watch.

If its been mentioned already, my apologies.

Tom Dempsey's last second miss vs. Miami in '79 that would have ended the streak a year earlier.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, I was at that game in the pouring rain

That's the game where we got the ball with ~4:00 left down 7, moved briskly into their territory, the genius play call by Mularkey was to call a naked bootleg QB keeper for Bledsoe, right?

I remember game with Mularkey where the Bills had a nice late drive inside the 10 and he also got cute and had Travis Henry, who had never thrown an NFL halfback pass, throw it into the end zone and it was intercepted.

Honorable mention:

1. Bills/Jets- needing only to run out the clock, Losman goes back scrambling and fumbles and the Jets take it for the winning score.

2. Bills/New Eng- Pats obviously short of 1st down on 4th down but ref heard saying "just give it to them" and Pats go on to score winning TD

3. Bills/Dolphins in 1970's with OJ- exciting high scoring game- Mercury Morris is picked up and thrown down and fumbles. Pre-instant replay, refs still get together and discuss it but decide it's not a fumble. Shocked and angry Bills defense allow Fins RB to go about 50 yards untouched for a TD. Game over.

4. Bills/Jags- Jags score on TD pass on last play after on prior 4th down play, all Nate Clements had to do was knock the pass down but went for the INT and missed resulting in a big 1st down reception

Unfortunately I think I could've gone on for a few more

2 and 3 were the worst screw jobs in the history of Bills football. In 2, not only did that happen, but then after that it was the only time I saw interference called on a Hail Mary.........I believe there was actually a bad call in between those two, as well.

3 had not only what you said, but in the scramble for the would be fumble, Pat Toomay ran into a ref, and was somehow penalized for it. It was totally accidental. So, the Dolphins got the ball back, and first down. Really game over.

The ref was hanging in effigy in the tunnel at Rich the next week and Chuck Foreman got pelted in the eye with a snowball.

Unless I missed something, I am literally shocked no one has mentioned the 2004 Bledsoe led Bills...at the time it was probably the best team we had since Kelly led Bills, LOST on the final game of the season against the Pittsburgh Steelers BACKUPS to miss the playoffs. We win, we are in the playoffs...we lose, we go home and the crappy Jets are gifted an undeserving spot.

At full strength, we choked the game away against their backups as they had their seed locked up. It was so disgusting...not because we missed the playoffs (if memory serves me, I think we started slow like 0-4 that year) but because we choked away a game that we were essentially being gifted against 2nd string players. I mean the QB was Brian St. Pierre...I bet little to no one here even remembers that QB, or knows who he is. I had to look it up myself, thats how irrelevant he was...but he led Pitt to a victory along side backups at every other position to keep us out of the playoffs. Just pathetic...and considering Bledsoe was our QB, how this could happen is only comprehensible by Bills fans.

It was literally one of the more embarrassing Bills moments for me...In fact, the 3 single most disappointing moments for me in all of my Bills memory was Wide Right, MCM, and this game. In all 3 cases, we should have won...all 3

I hear ya :bag::bag::bag:

A. The whole Hank Bullock era.

B. All of the Jauron era.

Kay Stephenson

That's terrible 3/12. Shame on Bills fans if not meant in good fun with your son.

This year, we are flying up for the Bills/ Cardinals game as we do every year for one game. My middle son has been a huge fan of the Cards since he was little and Fitz rented a house in our neighborhood for the Steelers/Cards SB when he was 6. He wants to wear his Cards jersey for the game. We'll be in a group of 24 with my uncles, brother, cousins, and nephews. Good teasing is just fine, but what your describing is not.

I can only hope to be as much of a gentleman as you. Ryan ( my son) is a huge Bills fan as well. I will not take well to people going over the top with my boy. I've told him Bills fans kid, but they are good people. I only hope they live up to that description.

My kids wanted to be Packers fans but I told them not in my house. I told them are you going to root for Russia over America in the Olympics? they said no and I said that's why you have to root for the Bills, we live here you root for the Bills. Not saying you should have done that just saying what I did.

RevWarRifleman, on 28 Jun 2016 - 8:43 PM, said:snapback.png

A. The whole Hank Bullock era.

B. All of the Jauron era.

Kay Stephenson

Oh, how quickly we forget. These 3 HC's were Champions compared to Harvey Johnson#1 & #2.

My kids wanted to be Packers fans but I told them not in my house. I told them are you going to root for Russia over America in the Olympics? they said no and I said that's why you have to root for the Bills, we live here you root for the Bills. Not saying you should have done that just saying what I did.

I told my Son he could never have a GM vehicle in my driveway. One day a came home and he a had a custom El Camino in my garage.

and yes i helped him wrench on it.

It all works out in the end :thumbsup:

Unless I missed something, I am literally shocked no one has mentioned the 2004 Bledsoe led Bills...at the time it was probably the best team we had since Kelly led Bills, LOST on the final game of the season against the Pittsburgh Steelers BACKUPS to miss the playoffs. We win, we are in the playoffs...we lose, we go home and the crappy Jets are gifted an undeserving spot.

At full strength, we choked the game away against their backups as they had their seed locked up. It was so disgusting...not because we missed the playoffs (if memory serves me, I think we started slow like 0-4 that year) but because we choked away a game that we were essentially being gifted against 2nd string players. I mean the QB was Brian St. Pierre...I bet little to no one here even remembers that QB, or knows who he is. I had to look it up myself, thats how irrelevant he was...but he led Pitt to a victory along side backups at every other position to keep us out of the playoffs. Just pathetic...and considering Bledsoe was our QB, how this could happen is only comprehensible by Bills fans.

It was literally one of the more embarrassing Bills moments for me...In fact, the 3 single most disappointing moments for me in all of my Bills memory was Wide Right, MCM, and this game. In all 3 cases, we should have won...all 3

If it makes you feel a little better.... I looked it up and it was actually Tommy Maddox! This St. Pierre fella came on to throw one incomplete pass apparently.

If it makes you feel a little better.... I looked it up and it was actually Tommy Maddox! This St. Pierre fella came on to throw one incomplete pass apparently.

Ha thanks! I couldn't remember the QB so i googled it and the only QB that came up in the thing I found was St. Pierre...Unfortunately losing to Tommy Crappox still doesn't make me feel better though...that game will forever disgust me

Edited by Alphadawg7