John Murphy Show Moving to Noon

What is WGR going to air at 7? "Inside the Bills with Joseph Goebbels"? Murph's propaganda is farcical.

I prefer the "Baghdad" Bob comparison. Most of the youngsters don't know who Goebbels was, but they may remember the dude who said American troops weren't any threat to Iraq's capital in 2003. :lol:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like there is a lot of movement towards the growth of Pegula Sports/Entertainment. IMO they are going to be rolling out a deal for MSG WNY sometime in the next year. I think the Murphy show will be telecast/simulcast.

To me, I think Murphy does a heck of a job. Yes, he is an employee and usually tows the company line. He does it in a very professional manner and that show is put together really well. He touches on the entire league and does it well. Also has very intelligent monologue/dialogue about the Bills/team. I think he also runs a very good interview.

The rest of WGR is so cynical for the most part. Host A takes this point of view, Host B takes the other point of view.... let's take callers and beat the topic into the ground and repeat tomorrow. A "state radio" program is actually refreshing to me. Im not a big fan of Sal either. He takes his opinion (which is almost always in favor of the team) and yells about it into the mic and gives listeners headaches.

edit: well there we go

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2016/6/15/11943104/are-pegulas-hiring-for-western-new-york-regional-sports-network

I agree with this take, MD10. Murph aces his radio show. But He's still a terrible Play by Play guy, despite many years at it and as Van's sidekick.

His voice works for radio talk show, fails at PbP. I don't wish him ill will, but I hope he's replaced way before he gets to Van's age -when he retired.

I agree with this take, MD10. Murph aces his radio show. But He's still a terrible Play by Play guy, despite many years at it and as Van's sidekick.

His voice works for radio talk show, fails at PbP. I don't wish him ill will, but I hope he's replaced way before he gets to Van's age -when he retired.

Murph will not live to see Van's retirement age, he is not a picture of health and will be lucky to see 70.

And after having lived in several other markets, Murph seemed better to me. Washington, New England, Carolina, and Seattle, maybe one, Seattle, is markedly better, and Washington was was not listenable. Probably too biased to Judge NE and Carolina is probably on par.

I'd rather listen to paint dry than listen to John Murphy. Is this really the best they we can do? I'm a Nats fan also, and FP Santangello and Bob Carpenter make their games sound 1000x more exciting... and it's baseball.

Murph is just so blah to me - boring - and never says anything interesting. When he takes calls it's the worst because it's usually prefaced with him saying he wants to get everyone's take on a particular topic - followed by him taking calls and saying either the callers take is correct or wrong, zzzzz.

Maybe it's gotten better because it's been a while. Good guy, loves the Bills, but I just cannot listen to him anymore. I listen to Howard's show podcast from the app.

It hasn't. I agree with everything else you said.

Yeah, murph kills me. Defends everything.

Agreed I remember him defending EJ all last summer as if there was no douobt he was a starting NFL QB, until Tyrod was named the starter that is

Agreed I remember him defending EJ all last summer as if there was no douobt he was a starting NFL QB, until Tyrod was named the starter that is

Exactly. He creates the hypothetical - takes his position - and if you don't agree you're definitely wrong.

Edited by Triple Threat

Exactly. He creates the hypothetical - takes his position - and if you don't agree you're definitely wrong.

His radio show is like reading Bills Digest, I used to love Shout! and couldn't wait for the paper but once the Bills bought it over to Chris Brown it became a mouthpiece for the team. Its like listening to press releases

i had forgotten about that! Totally agree. Used to listen with my dad :thumbsup:

During the Super Bowl years - the best! I would tape it when I couldn't hear it live.............That's why I know Murph is so much better than this snoozefest better suited for Pravda

What is WGR going to air at 7? "Inside the Bills with Joseph Goebbels"? Murph's propaganda is farcical.

I was thinking Mengele

Totally agree with this specific take...And I get that he has to walk a fine line...But good grief...

I also feel he is wrong a lot...I mean A LOT...And maybe some of the more hardcore folks here understand what I mean by this...I'm really not trying to be a jerk either...But I don't feel the guy is nearly as knowledgeable about...well actual football as a person with his job should be...I think Sal would be 100% better in that position...And I mean that very sincerely and respectfully...I get what JM has done and who he is...I respect him...I just don't think he's that good... B-)

AGREE 1000%

Murph is a thumbs down for me. Too much of a cheer leader, too vanilla and boring.

My favorites on WGR are Schopp, Matthew Coller and Bulldog.

Say what you want about Schopp, but he's interesting to listen to. His being negative toward the Bills often, isn't a drawback IMO, it's just him being honest. Most the time his takes are well thought out and intelligent, even if they aren't popular.

Matthew Coller is the hidden gem on WGR. Very smart, very analytical, you feel like a smarter fan after you listen to him.

Not a big Jeremy White fan either. Maybe it has something to do with his constant liberal political whining on twitter.

Edited by Estro

Yeah, his PbP is strange. He is very well spoken has the voice for it, raises excitement at the right times, etc.... But as far as painting the play, the listener is left clueless too much of the time. Van Miller was so good because he painted the picture each play. Down, distance, where the wind was blowing, how the crowd sounded, QB in the shotgun, what side of the field they are on, pass comes out to who and what distance, etc. He would get it all in there and bring the listener into the game.

Of course Van is a legend, but Murphy seems to leave too much to mystery. Tough to track down and distance all the time. He will say "pass complete to ______ near the sideline" and proceed to describe the rest of the play but you have no idea how far the pass went. Things like that.

Murph is a thumbs down for me. Too much of a cheer leader, too vanilla and boring.

My favorites on WGR are Schopp, Matthew Coller and Bulldog.

Say what you want about Schopp, but he's interesting to listen to. His being negative toward the Bills often, isn't a drawback IMO, it's just him being honest. Most the time his takes are well thought out and intelligent, even if they aren't popular.

Matthew Coller is the hidden gem on WGR. Very smart, very analytical, you feel like a smarter fan after you listen to him.

Not a big Jeremy White fan either. Maybe it has something to do with his constant liberal political whining on twitter.

Dude...you have got to be kidding me. Schoop is so painful to listen to. Bulldog is a joke. End of story. He must pick up his check with a mask and a gun. He's had a front row seat for 20 years and has said nothing of insight. Collar is the same. The station is one the worst I've ever heard.

Dude...you have got to be kidding me. Schoop is so painful to listen to. Bulldog is a joke. End of story. He must pick up his check with a mask and a gun. He's had a front row seat for 20 years and has said nothing of insight. Collar is the same. The station is one the worst I've ever heard.

it's weird that you have only 824 posts. I'm pretty sure I've seen every one. About a third are mocking supposed radio "talent."