Gilmore hints at training camp holdout

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to be in the camp of being upset when a player held out.

I get it from Gilmore's point of view. I think the Bills will get a deal done and Gilmore will get to sit out two weeks of camp. I do not see this going the way of Byrd or Peters. many vets do not want to be at camp. A CB like Gilmore does not want to be in camp most likely. Gilmore knows he can miss a couple weeks and be fine. The fact that Gilmore showed up to mini camp is a positive sign not a negative.

Me too. I think the perception has shifted in general just reading the posts here.

The job should be to reward the draft pick for his efforts. If Bills don't think he is worth 13.5 14.5 whatever tha'ts fine too.

We as fans cannot get too pissed at either side. Disappointed ? sure as heck we can !

Edited by 3rdand12

I don't think a holdout gets him his contract...Apparently the Bills want to sign him but not at his asking price...Holding out of camp won't make the Bills raise their offer

i get the same feeling. I also think that method is passe' .

Gilmore wants to play football, thinks he is elite and knows he will get paid. What do the Bills think?

Lets watch the Von Miller TV series for reference as to hold outs

• 2 weeks later...

It makes sense that he would not hold out...show up, do the work, and get paid (either by the Bills or by someone else most likely)

We need to pay others on this roster (Tyrod probably, Sammy), I would guess with Darby being a number 1 CB...we either franchise or let Gilmore walk next year...just my hunch

That's what he's going to get, here or elsewhere.

He's better than guys like Trumaine Johnson, Byron Maxwell, and Janoris Jenkins, and they're all getting top-8 money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/cornerback/

They might be able to get Gilmore in the fold for $13.5M, but that's the absolute minimum we can expect him to take; he's probably pushing for $14M AAV.

$14M would be a good deal for him. He's likely looking to be the top paid CB.

$14M would be a good deal for him. He's likely looking to be the top paid CB.

I think they could manage to top the $14M AAV number if they really want to; I did a few calculations on it this weekend.

Here's how it would look:

5 years, $70.75M total value. $39M fully guaranteed at signing (that's $2.5M more in fully gtd money than Josh Norman).

Season Base Signing Bonus Misc. Bonus Cap Hit Dead Hit Savings

2016 $2M (gtd) $5M (gtd) $0.75 $7.75M $39M -$31.25M

2017 $4M (gtd) $5M (gtd) $0.75 $9.75M $32M -$22.25M

2018 $8M (gtd) $5M (gtd) $0.75 $13.75M $23M -$9.25M

2019 $12M (gtd*) $5M (gtd) $0.75 $17.75M $10M $7.75M

2020 $16M $5M (gtd) $0.75 $21.75M $5M $16.75M

* Base salary for 2019 becomes fully guaranteed on 3rd day of 2019 league year

The above structure allows the agent to report that the contract has $51M in "guaranteed" money, which means he got more than the $50M "guaranteed" that Norman got, so in all ways the contract surpasses that of Norman.

It also allows for Gilmore to be released/extended/restructured after the 2018 season, which is also the final year of Darby's deal. Assuming the team can sign Darby to an extension prior to 2018--one that kicks in after the 2018 season--they should be able to lock up their cornerback duo for the next 3 seasons without having to pay both a massive cap number in the same year.

Also, the above contract would keep Gilmore's cap number below that of the 2016 franchise tag number for CBs through the 2018 season, which is phenomenal value for a #1 CB.

No twisted knickers here. It's not often any of these guys have any leverage to get a big payday. It's only the best players, and only once or MAYBE twice in their careers do they have the opportunity.

Of course I want Gilmore on the field all day, every day. But I'm not going to begrudge him trying to make his paper. You do you, Stephon. Hope it works out.

Edited by jimmy10

No twisted knickers here. It's not often any of these guys have any leverage to get a big payday. It's only the best players, and only once or MAYBE twice in their careers do they have the opportunity.

Of course I want Gilmore on the field all day, every day. But I'm not going to begrudge him trying to make his paper. You do you, Stephon. Hope it works out.

Agreed. I think it gets done. Just prior to training camp is a logical time for negotiations to conclude. I think we are seeing some end-of-negotiations posturing. It is very unlikely that Gilmore would hold out, but threatening to do so might make him a few more bucks. Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to try. There's just too much guaranteed money on the line for Gilmore not to sign. And right before he steps on the practice field is a great time to do it. It's a time when his leverage is about as good as it gets and before he gets on the field and risks injury.

Looks like no holdout, not surprised

@josinaanderson

Despite no new deal #Bills CB Stephon Gilmore told me, "I'm planning to go out to training camp. I know what I am. It'll happen eventually."

He is who we thought he were!!!

I think they could manage to top the $14M AAV number if they really want to; I did a few calculations on it this weekend.

Here's how it would look:

5 years, $70.75M total value. $39M fully guaranteed at signing (that's $2.5M more in fully gtd money than Josh Norman).

Season Base Signing Bonus Misc. Bonus Cap Hit Dead Hit Savings

2016 $2M (gtd) $5M (gtd) $0.75 $7.75M $39M -$31.25M

2017 $4M (gtd) $5M (gtd) $0.75 $9.75M $32M -$22.25M

2018 $8M (gtd) $5M (gtd) $0.75 $13.75M $23M -$9.25M

2019 $12M (gtd*) $5M (gtd) $0.75 $17.75M $10M $7.75M

2020 $16M $5M (gtd) $0.75 $21.75M $5M $16.75M

* Base salary for 2019 becomes fully guaranteed on 3rd day of 2019 league year

The above structure allows the agent to report that the contract has $51M in "guaranteed" money, which means he got more than the $50M "guaranteed" that Norman got, so in all ways the contract surpasses that of Norman.

It also allows for Gilmore to be released/extended/restructured after the 2018 season, which is also the final year of Darby's deal. Assuming the team can sign Darby to an extension prior to 2018--one that kicks in after the 2018 season--they should be able to lock up their cornerback duo for the next 3 seasons without having to pay both a massive cap number in the same year.

Also, the above contract would keep Gilmore's cap number below that of the 2016 franchise tag number for CBs through the 2018 season, which is phenomenal value for a #1 CB.

We could also spread his 2019 dead money if necessary, correct?

Excellent attitude Jimmy

Not only is he not holding out, he's there a day early. With Tyrod.

Bust!!!

Personally, I would have no problem with him holding out. I would probably do that if I was in his shoes. Too much risk playing on a one year deal. But Gilmore is a great character guy. If he talked and celebrated more, people would realize how good he truly is.