Gilmore hints at training camp holdout

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$12.5MM/yr. The Bills are offering somewhere around $13MM. Gilmore wants $15MM+.

Crazy thing is, Slay and Gilmore are on the same level. I really hope Stephon isn't about to **** all over his perfect fit for the sake of money.

Daft players follow money. Smart players know when they aren't finding a situation that works better for them than the one they're in.

Crazy thing is, Slay and Gilmore are on the same level. I really hope Stephon isn't about to **** all over his perfect fit for the sake of money.

Daft players follow money. Smart players know when they aren't finding a situation that works better for them than the one they're in.

I honestly think Gilmore is better but Slay talks more. For a guy nicknamed Big Play, he really doesn't have many of them.

Darius Slay just got paid.

@AdamSchefter

CB Darius Slay and Detroit Lions agreed to a 4-year extension worth $50.2M with $23M fully guaranteed at signing, per source.

my lasting visual of Slay is him practically holding Watkins arms down so he wouldn't get roasted when we played Detroit in 2014. And no dpi called. Maybe now he can finally afford to buy Sammy dinner after he molested him.

I honestly think Gilmore is better but Slay talks more. For a guy nicknamed Big Play, he really doesn't have many of them.

Gilmore averages 12.5 PD/year, 2.25 INT/year. Slay averages 11.66 PD/year, 1.33 INT/year. Stats favour Gilmore a little. I think I trust Slay in run support a little more.

I'd love to have either of them as my #1 corner. Both are incredible talents and I have a lot of man-hours invested defending them. :lol:

Gilmore averages 12.5 PD/year, 2.25 INT/year. Slay averages 11.66 PD/year, 1.33 INT/year. Stats favour Gilmore a little. I think I trust Slay in run support a little more.

I'd love to have either of them as my #1 corner. Both are incredible talents and I have a lot of man-hours invested defending them. :lol:

Haha, agreed. But I'm telling you, Gilmore will never get the credit he deserves because he is so humble. Dude is a really good CB.

Haha, agreed. But I'm telling you, Gilmore will never get the credit he deserves because he is so humble. Dude is a really good CB.

He seemed to open his mouth a bit more last year. The stuff with Odell and whatnot. Side effect of Rex in charge, maybe?

I'm comfortable waiting for a year on both Gilmore and Tyrod, if that's what needs to happen. I have every faith both guys will let their play do the talking for them. Part of why I kinda want them both to stick around, lead by example types.

He seemed to open his mouth a bit more last year. The stuff with Odell and whatnot. Side effect of Rex in charge, maybe?

I'm comfortable waiting for a year on both Gilmore and Tyrod, if that's what needs to happen. I have every faith both guys will let their play do the talking for them. Part of why I kinda want them both to stick around, lead by example types.

Agreed. Hopefully, they both force the Bills' hands with monster years.

What else was his nickname going to be?

Not So Many Big Plays :). He is a really good CB though.

I know there are other topics regarding his contract so this may end up merged with one of them but I wanted to post this to just keep this simple.

Yes or no. Do you think Gilmore can change the outcome of a game?

Reports are he wants $15M a year and I think that kind of money is usually awarded to game changing players.

So what do we all think?

CBF

It's weird as a concept to say no but it's true. He's supposed to have as little to do with the game as possible.

He just has to take someone out of the game with him.

I agree and think he does take others out of the game with him. Which I think makes him worth the money.

I agree and think he does take others out of the game with him. Which I think makes him worth the money.

Nobody is unbeatable. Darius Slay gave up 47 catches on 73 receptions and that was seen as a bloody good year.

I think people forget that shutdown corner doesn't mean invincible. It's all about nullifying threats and Gilmore can do that.

Agree with Gunner and Bloke. But IMO, taking out the top receiver on another team is game changing.

I would say a guy like Nate Clements could be more of a game changer, but I think Gilmore is a better all around CB. The league makes playing cornerback next to impossible. Next to qb and pass rusher, I think CB is the most important position.

I know there are other topics regarding his contract so this may end up merged with one of them but I wanted to post this to just keep this simple.

Yes or no. Do you think Gilmore can change the outcome of a game?

Reports are he wants $15M a year and I think that kind of money is usually awarded to game changing players.

So what do we all think?

CBF

I'm sure he does want $15M a year. I don't see him getting that much though. It's what is known as a "starting point" in negotiations. Gilmore will also want other things, like a bunch of guaranteed money. He'll get that, but he'll have to give up some of that yearly average to get it. (He's not accepting a 5 year, $75M contract that pays $15M/season with no guarantees or signing bonus.). He wants cash or full guarantees far in excess of his guaranteed $11M salary this season. He's going to have to give to get that.

Ignoring the possibility that a tag might be needed for Tyrod Taylor or another player, the Bills could franchise Gilmore for 2017 and 2018 and he would not hit $15M per year on average from 2016-2018. Each side must gain something for a deal to get done. The Bills will pay a little less than what Gilmore would get as a FA (probably about $14M per season), they'll get a 5 season contract length and Gilmore will get guaranteed/paid a whole lot of money.