Gilmore hints at training camp holdout

@thadbrown7

Gilmore says he will compete at training camp "whenever" he gets there. Would it be at start? "We'll see" #Bills

@profootballtalk

This year, the daily fine for training-camp holdout spikes from $30,000 to $40,000.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@thadbrown7

Gilmore says he will compete at training camp "whenever" he gets there. Would it be at start? "We'll see" #Bills

@profootballtalk

This year, the daily fine for training-camp holdout spikes from $30,000 to $40,000.

Taking pointers from his old mentor, I see. Thank-you Jarius.

GO BILLS!!!

Ehh just part of the business, I'm not going to get caught up in it. I hope they don't overpay him, I would like him back but not with a top five CB price tag.

That's what he's going to get, here or elsewhere.

He's better than guys like Trumaine Johnson, Byron Maxwell, and Janoris Jenkins, and they're all getting top-8 money.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/cornerback/

They might be able to get Gilmore in the fold for $13.5M, but that's the absolute minimum we can expect him to take; he's probably pushing for $14M AAV.

He's better than guys like Trumaine Johnson, Byron Maxwell, and Janoris Jenkins, and they're all getting top-8 money.

They might be able to get Gilmore in the fold for $13.5M, but that's the absolute minimum we can expect him to take; he's probably pushing for $14M AAV.

it is weird to say, but if he's going to hold out I almost think that he must think they are somewhat close? Otherwise he's not going to just not show up indefinitely with all those fines. It's not like he's making no money and feels totally underpaid. He's making 11 mill. Reminds me of the Dez Bryant situation. He's trying to make them act. Edited by YoloinOhio

it is weird to say, but if he's going to hold out I almost think that he must think they are somewhat close? Otherwise he's not going to just not show up indefinitely with all those fines. It's not like he's making no money and feels totally underpaid. He's making 11 mill. Reminds me of the Dez Bryant situation. He's trying to make them act.

That was my first impression as well.

He's a smart kid, and I think both sides know what's at risk here. I would be surprised if they can't get something done prior to TC.

Now that all of the draft picks are signed, he's got to be their #1 focus from a contractual standpoint at the moment.

NFL averages don't mean that much, how much guaranteed money do you think he will get? I don't want the team to go overboard and offer a deal that will affect future negotiations with Darby. That may sound premature seeing as Darby only has one season under his belt, but he showed enough that you can't close that door.

NFL averages don't mean that much, how much guaranteed money do you think he will get? I don't want the team to go overboard and offer a deal that will affect future negotiations with Darby. That may sound premature seeing as Darby only has one season under his belt, but he showed enough that you can't close that door.

Here was my rip at the Gilmore deal a few weeks back:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/183724-spotrac-manage-roster-tool-2016-bills-salary-cap/?view=findpost&p=3944148

5 years, $66.5M, $32M guaranteed

Year Base Signing Roster Cap Hit Dead Hit Savings

2016 $11M (gtd) $3M -- $14M $32M -$18M

2017 $6M (gtd) $3M -- $9M $18M -$9M

2018 $8M $3M $1.5M $12.5M $9M $3.5M

2019 $10M $3M $1.5M $14.5M $6M $8.5M

2020 $12M $3M $1.5M $16.5M $3M $13.5M

The above would consume an additional $3M of the current cap, which means they'd have $11M in cap room to sign draft picks and perhaps add a veteran or two.

This would also bring the amount of cap space available to sign FAs next offseason down to $5.5M, which means one or two key players at starting positions.

14m is a lot for your second best cornerback

So then don't give Darby $14M; he can't sign a new deal until after the 2017 season anyway.

There's a reason that Darby had a regression after Gilmore's injury.

Here was my rip at the Gilmore deal a few weeks back:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/183724-spotrac-manage-roster-tool-2016-bills-salary-cap/?view=findpost&p=3944148

5 years, $66.5M, $32M guaranteed

Year Base Signing Roster Cap Hit Dead Hit Savings

2016 $11M (gtd) $3M -- $14M $32M -$18M

2017 $6M (gtd) $3M -- $9M $18M -$9M

2018 $8M $3M $1.5M $12.5M $9M $3.5M

2019 $10M $3M $1.5M $14.5M $6M $8.5M

2020 $12M $3M $1.5M $16.5M $3M $13.5M

The above would consume an additional $3M of the current cap, which means they'd have $11M in cap room to sign draft picks and perhaps add a veteran or two.

This would also bring the amount of cap space available to sign FAs next offseason down to $5.5M, which means one or two key players at starting positions.

So then don't give Darby $14M; he can't sign a new deal until after the 2017 season anyway.

There's a reason that Darby had a regression after Gilmore's injury.

I like it, the team could eat the deal after the third year if they needed too.

@thadbrown7

@profootballtalk

Since he according to an unreliable source Vic wants the highest paying CB contract in NFL no wonder he wants to hold out. Probably channeling the dead agent Parker.

14m is a lot for your second best cornerback

Give him a contract based on incentives including number of games started/finished and number of tackles. Those will reduce numbers a bit.

Give him a contract based on incentives including number of games started/finished and number of tackles. Those will reduce numbers a bit.

His agent would never get another client if he allowed that to happen.

The guy is a former top-10 pick that is widely viewed as a No. 1 CB.