Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

I wish I could agree about Kane, but after seven plus seasons in the league and well over 400 games, he is what he is and he is at his ceiling as a player I'm afraid.

Maybe he'll have an Afinogenov like season where it all comes together for a year and then never again. We can hope.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have plenty of fears that you are right. But even if you consider him to be a severely flawed player (can't argue with that view) that doesn't necessarily mean that he can't be a contributor to this team that lacks scoring punch.

What aggravates me about his excessive perimeter play and outside shooting is if he would get in the dirty areas around the net he would be much more productive. He is strong and has terrific hands and reflexes to knock in rebounds. The player he should be emulating is Reinhardt and his net presence. His goal in the Carolina game is the type of goal he should be getting a lot more, as was in the prior game when he received a beautiful pass behind the net by Eichel and was in front of the goal to knock the puck in. That's what he should be about----dam it!!!

I think he honestly missed about 15 half empty/empty nets last season when Eichel put the puck through the slot/crease areas and he either whiffed completely or batted the puck wide. I understand why GMTM is enamored with him because his hockey skill is terrific but his game is just maddening. All Swedish...no Finish.

I think he honestly missed about 15 half empty/empty nets last season when Eichel put the puck through the slot/crease areas and he either whiffed completely or batted the puck wide. I understand why GMTM is enamored with him because his hockey skill is terrific but his game is just maddening. All Swedish...no Finish.

I hope we are not chasing fools gold. His talents have tantalized me enough to hang in longer. I wouldn't be surprised if he was made available for next year's expansion draft for Los Vegas.

!@#$ the shootout....shove it up your ass bettman and the rest of the NHL.... get rid of that garbage

No shootout necessary except captain neck tattoo lays down to take a nap instead of moving on the tying goal. He really sucks and has cost the Sabres a ton of points.

No shootout necessary except captain neck tattoo lays down to take a nap instead of moving on the tying goal. He really sucks and has cost the Sabres a ton of points.

I have no issue with Lehner during real game action...I think he has played very well....what happens in the shootout is beyond me....but it shouldn't come to that....it's a bull **** gimmick....

I have no issue with Lehner during real game action...I think he has played very well....what happens in the shootout is beyond me....but it shouldn't come to that....it's a bull **** gimmick....

I don't like the shootout either, but things tend to even out generally. Not with Lehner, but in general. That game tying goal was a nice pass by Jagr but Lehner was atrocious. He is awful.

Once again they play 40 minutes of hockey. Probably should just start watching at the start of the 2nd period.

Was out at a Christmas party and came in with 9 minutes left in 3rd...pretty enjoyable and entertaining game from there!

I am usually pretty smart guy. :lol: ....have no clue what the Sabres should do when they hit OT, especially with Lehner in net.

That's a rough "loss". To come from two goals back and take the lead with 8 minutes left in the third stings. This is the part of the schedule where points can be had. They had an opportunity to take 2 and leave their opponent 0, but the three point game shows up and the Sabres only come away with 1. Not going to make any headway in the standings with results like that.

I don't like the shootout either, but things tend to even out generally. Not with Lehner, but in general. That game tying goal was a nice pass by Jagr but Lehner was atrocious. He is awful.

It was a really nice pass by Jagr, but Lehner was literally laying on the ice with his back to the puck FOR NO REASON. Why is he our goaltender?

They were dominated in the 1st period, D was awful, Lehner kept it close early on. I don't understand why this team starts so slow. Plus their 3 on 3 play last night was bad, but they are just pathetic in shootouts, 1-5 now I believe. Yes, Lehner is bad in shootouts, but the Sabres can't put the puck in the net either.

They were dominated in the 1st period, D was awful, Lehner kept it close early on. I don't understand why this team starts so slow. Plus their 3 on 3 play last night was bad, but they are just pathetic in shootouts, 1-5 now I believe. Yes, Lehner is bad in shootouts, but the Sabres can't put the puck in the net either.

I wish that this low scoring team would just shoot the puck instead of trying to make the perfect play by making the extra pass. Even if the puck doesn't go in there are opportunities for tip ins and deflections. Boston Jack has recently been over-passing instead of shooting at the net.

Observations in this game: As you noted Lehner did play well in the game. Jagr is still a premier player. His instincts and passing have not eroded. Kane on the Larsson and Gionta line does what he doesn't do when he is on the other lines i.e. position himself in front of the net. That is where he scored yesterday.

I wish that this low scoring team would just shoot the puck instead of trying to make the perfect play by making the extra pass. Even if the puck doesn't go in there are opportunities for tip ins and deflections. Boston Jack has recently been over-passing instead of shooting at the net.

Observations in this game: As you noted Lehner did play well in the game. Jagr is still a premier player. His instincts and passing have not eroded. Kane on the Larsson and Gionta line does what he doesn't do when he is on the other lines i.e. position himself in front of the net. That is where he scored yesterday.

I was referring more to shootout scoring, but I do agree, they try and make that extra pass all too often. Shoot it and crash the net...

They're so bad in shootouts they should just pull their goalie in favor of the extra skater in OT :lol:

Just got in from my run, which is when I listen to the first hour of GR...somebody suggested this as well..YOU?

.I might be wrong, but I think you lose the loser point if you pull your goalie and get scored on.

Even Marty is now advocating for switching up goalies for the shootout

I thought it was telling and a bit of s slap in the face that Florida elected to shoot second in the shootout.

I also saw Florida do a bit of what Carolina did in the overtime; play keep away. Not a bad strategy when you know you have the two points locked up if it should get to the shootout.

Regardless, we never should have gone to OT. Bad play by Kulikov compounded by another lazy effort by Eichel and voila, a critical point squandered.

I know the home team gets the final line change, but Bylsma has to do a better job of getting Eichel's line off the ice against the opponents top line, which has been the strategy for the them lately. Eichel's line gets stuck in their own zone chasing the puck and wasting energy defensively whenever they play the top opposing line it seems.

Just got in from my run, which is when I listen to the first hour of GR...somebody suggested this as well..YOU?

.I might be wrong, but I think you lose the loser point if you pull your goalie and get scored on.

Even Marty is now advocating for switching up goalies for the shootout

Yes, that is correct...