Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Rob Ray was working the game along the benches as an analyst/commentator. He repeatedly made the same point that you made about the refs not making the calls that were apparent to all. There where numerous times where Boston Jack was hooked, slashed and interfered with that were not called.

I'm not arguing for any team to have an advantage due to the officiating. What I'm arguing for is to call the game and enforce the rules so an authentic NHL hockey game will be played. Discretion is part of officiating andblatantly ignoring the rules are not.

The Sabres were fortunate to get a point out of this game. I don't care whether one is a Carolina or Buffalo fan this game was a dud because the refs didn't do their jobs. The paying customers deserve their money back. They paid to watch a hockey game; they didn't pay to watch garbage!

There was one play in particular with Eichel that stuck out to me. He crossed center ice with the puck then dumped it in. The defender's stick came up and hit him in the visor. We could hear the contact all the way up in the nose bleed seats (amazing what you can hear when the building is empty). No call. I have no idea how refs can miss that. I know it's not really related to the interference stuff, but it's just as frustrating. In a game like that snorefest, a powerplay or two can make all the difference.

And I hate shootout almost as much as I hate Boston fans, but something came to mind today. Wasn't Okposo the one who took every shootout attempt in the world juniors or olympics? If that's the case, why isn't he shooting first? You need to get that immediate edge in the fake hockey session.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My thoughts exactly! I was saying at the Bills tailgate that Carolina is the new NJ. Load the neutral zone and force the other team to dump the puck, it's brutal...

As Alaska Dan astutely noted if the refs would have called the innumerable interference, slashing and hooking penalties that would have opened up the game. Dumping the puck is probably the best way to counter the trap but it is so unappealing to watch. This game was infuriating to watch! How do you think this boring style of play will appeal to the casual fan who is considering following the game with more interest? Bowling anyone!!!!!

There was one play in particular with Eichel that stuck out to me. He crossed center ice with the puck then dumped it in. The defender's stick came up and hit him in the visor. We could hear the contact all the way up in the nose bleed seats (amazing what you can hear when the building is empty). No call. I have no idea how refs can miss that. I know it's not really related to the interference stuff, but it's just as frustrating. In a game like that snorefest, a powerplay or two can make all the difference.

And I hate shootout almost as much as I hate Boston fans, but something came to mind today. Wasn't Okposo the one who took every shootout attempt in the world juniors or olympics? If that's the case, why isn't he shooting first? You need to get that immediate edge in the fake hockey session.

One way to have fewer shootouts is to extend 3-3 overtime play to 10 minutes. No one can deny that Buffalo is aggressive in the OT and plays to win. Consistent action and great action!

One way to have fewer shootouts is to extend 3-3 overtime play to 10 minutes. No one can deny that Buffalo is aggressive in the OT and plays to win. Consistent action and great action!

I've been preaching it for years now. Even back with the 4-on-4, the OT needed to be longer. Honestly, I would leave in the loser point and go to a true sudden death OT like in the playoffs (probably 3-on-3 though). I know their concern would a never ending game where someone has to play the following day. But that right there is all the incentive you need to push a little harder for a goal to end the game. You would have the fluke marathon game every so often, but it would be very rare.

Honestly, I'd also rather have ties instead of the shoot out.

edit: And speaking of 3-on-3, it is amazing to see it in person. On tv you really don't get a good feel for just how much space is suddenly out there, especially from up in the nose bleeds. I do wish they'd use the red line for offside call during those 5 minutes though. That would really open things up. I bet they'd be scare of teams sitting back and burning out the clock though.

Edited by shrader

Yeah, but I'm still puzzled at Kane not going after the free puck leading to an icing call in OT. That was a bizarre play.

I've been preaching it for years now. Even back with the 4-on-4, the OT needed to be longer. Honestly, I would leave in the loser point and go to a true sudden death OT like in the playoffs (probably 3-on-3 though). I know their concern would a never ending game where someone has to play the following day. But that right there is all the incentive you need to push a little harder for a goal to end the game. You would have the fluke marathon game every so often, but it would be very rare.

Honestly, I'd also rather have ties instead of the shoot out.

edit: And speaking of 3-on-3, it is amazing to see it in person. On tv you really don't get a good feel for just how much space is suddenly out there, especially from up in the nose bleeds. I do wish they'd use the red line for offside call during those 5 minutes though. That would really open things up. I bet they'd be scare of teams sitting back and burning out the clock though.

In the spirit of the holiday to accommodate your dislike of the shootout I would then recommend going to a ten minute 3 on 3 OT period. If no team scores (should be rare) the game should be declared a tie with each team getting one point with no shootout incorporated into the system.

As with outdoor stadium games (my dislike) the shootout has exhausted its uniqueness and now is more like an unnatural appendage. I have to give the Sabre coaching staff credit for not being afraid to go for the score by being aggressive and not sitting back waiting for the clock to wind down. I have to also give Risto credit for his performances in that up and down tension filled style of play. He is getting more confident and assertive as the season advances.

Pure stupidity right there. That's the stuff that gets him benched.

He makes mistakes but he also makes plays. He doesn't have much of a refined or a cerebral game. However, I'll take his bad to get to his good (scoring) which is lacking on the roster. The one thing that he can't be accused of is not playing hard. Another positive about him is that he stands up for his teammates.

Bylsma is a good coach for Kane. When his play gets too far out of line and his lone ranger act is hurting the team he demonstrates his displeasure by dropping him down the ranks.

Good. Swap the helmet and shoulder pads and activate him on Sunday afternoon.

He wouldn't do well under Rex and his corpulent brother because they would design a role for him that diminishes his assets and accentuates his weaknesses. :lol:

As Alaska Dan astutely noted if the refs would have called the innumerable interference, slashing and hooking penalties that would have opened up the game. Dumping the puck is probably the best way to counter the trap but it is so unappealing to watch. This game was infuriating to watch! How do you think this boring style of play will appeal to the casual fan who is considering following the game with more interest? Bowling anyone!!!!!

I swear the league is run by neanderthals. The hockey got so good after the lockout. So, of course, they go back to the old ways.

For the love of everything holy....get rid of the gimmick known as the shootout.....it's entertainment value has jumped the shark....please please please end it.

It's even worse when you lose every one of them!

He makes mistakes but he also makes plays. He doesn't have much of a refined or a cerebral game. However, I'll take his bad to get to his good (scoring) which is lacking on the roster. The one thing that he can't be accused of is not playing hard. Another positive about him is that he stands up for his teammates.

Bylsma is a good coach for Kane. When his play gets too far out of line and his lone ranger act is hurting the team he demonstrates his displeasure by dropping him down the ranks.

You just described why I like Kane on the fourth line.

7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpgVS. 5pYe9S3N_200x200.jpg

SABRES (12-11-7) at PANTHERS (14-13-5)

TUE DEC 20, 2016 @ 7:30 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 156)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 30 games
Tyler Ennis (groin, Nov. 9; injured reserve) – 18 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
12/17: Activated D Taylor Fedun from IR; Assigned Fedun to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Thursday, Dec. 22: Carolina at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 23: Buffalo at NY Islanders, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 27: Buffalo at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 29: Boston at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 31: Buffalo at Boston, 1 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

SABRES at PANTHERS
This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Panthers this season.
Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Florida 3-0 in Buffalo on Oct. 29
Next meeting: Monday, March 27 in Buffalo
The Sabres are 3-7-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Panthers; 4-4-2 on the road.
This is the 90th game all-time between Buffalo and Florida; Buffalo has a 47-35-7 series record.
The Sabres are 21-19-3 on the road against the Panthers all-time.

Morning Skate: December 20, 2016 at 11:30 am – 12:30 pm at BB&T Center

@BuffaloSabres

#82 has earned promotion to our top line: http://bufsabres.co/zuQDTf

"That's the way we need him to play."

C0FDRU4UUAAhJt0.jpg

Let's check in with Jack Eichel in Florida: http://bufsabres.co/HrMzuh

"We want to go into the break feeling good about ourselves."

C0FXasYXUAA4ujV.jpg

Yesterday we were off - today it was back to work in Florida. Coach's comments: http://bufsabres.co/DmJj59

C0Ffw8jXAAAIYHt.jpg

You just described why I like Kane on the fourth line.

I understand your reasoning but in my estimation Kane is a top two line player who has the potential to score 25 plus goals. The conundrum with him is that when you watch him play with the top two lines he is playing independently of the other players on the line.

Maybe some day the raw talent will be harnessed? Or maybe he will never be receptive to coaching and adjusting his game to better fit in? I'm a little more patient with him than most others because I see an abundance of unrefined talent that if was shaped by more intelligent play it would translate into more production. On the other hand he has been in the league long enough to conclude that he is what he is!

12-20: DAN BYLSMA ON WGR (12:41)

#Sabres head coach Dan Bylsma is on WGR right now! Tune in

Bylsma - no question we are healthier. We're now just Tyler Ennis away from being a fully healthy squad. #Sabres

Bylsma - thought Jack's first 2 games after injury were great. Next few he felt the effects of not playing for a while... (cont.)

Bylsma (cont.) - ...He's started to feel a lot better since then. He's put in some tough work. Looks like he has that extra gear. #Sabres

Bylsma - we have a young group of guys that will grow up together. We look around the room and see guys learning how to win together #Sabres

Bylsma - the defensemen dictate the way the game is going to be played. That's what Ristolainen and McCabe have been doing well #Sabres

Bylsma - they both skate well and read off each other well. It starts with execution on the back end and their doing that. #Sabres

Bylsma - the goaltending has been excellent. They've both given us solid performances on a nightly basis. They've given us chances to win

I understand your reasoning but in my estimation Kane is a top two line player who has the potential to score 25 plus goals. The conundrum with him is that when you watch him play with the top two lines he is playing independently of the other players on the line.

Maybe some day the raw talent will be harnessed? Or maybe he will never be receptive to coaching and adjusting his game to better fit in? I'm a little more patient with him than most others because I see an abundance of unrefined talent that if was shaped by more intelligent play it would translate into more production. On the other hand he has been in the league long enough to conclude that he is what he is!

I wish I could agree about Kane, but after seven plus seasons in the league and well over 400 games, he is what he is and he is at his ceiling as a player I'm afraid.

I wish I could agree about Kane, but after seven plus seasons in the league and well over 400 games, he is what he is and he is at his ceiling as a player I'm afraid.

I have plenty of fears that you are right. But even if you consider him to be a severely flawed player (can't argue with that view) that doesn't necessarily mean that he can't be a contributor to this team that lacks scoring punch.

What aggravates me about his excessive perimeter play and outside shooting is if he would get in the dirty areas around the net he would be much more productive. He is strong and has terrific hands and reflexes to knock in rebounds. The player he should be emulating is Reinhardt and his net presence. His goal in the Carolina game is the type of goal he should be getting a lot more, as was in the prior game when he received a beautiful pass behind the net by Eichel and was in front of the goal to knock the puck in. That's what he should be about----dam it!!!