Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Honestly, Compher is the only one I've wanted to keep an eye on. I think I'm mostly soured by the Lehner deal. That one was a completely unnecessary overpayment. I realize that you have to give something to get something and they needed to add some players. He may have done a little too much of that though and you see it with the current lack of depth. The biggest concern to me is that he doesn't seem all that interested in building up the blue line. There haven't been many (if any) moves where he has added to the depth chart there. Every trade has either been a body for a body on the blue line or has shipped one away. It's no surprise that they're facing the numbers game they are now at that position with these trends. It really is a make or break year this summer for that position.

Next year Guhle will be on the roster and will be in the top three pairing, possibly top two pairing. He came close to making the roster this year but having another season in the juniors gives him more time to mature, especially physically. I agree with you that giving up a first round pick for Lehner was too generous of a payment, especially for a player that was hurt and didn't appear to be in the plans for the team that dealt him. Even with these hesitations having two solid goalies is not a bad situation to be in.

A few years ago this team deliberately de-constructed itself in order to start the rebuilding process with a top tier draft pick. That risky approach worked out with our selection of Eichel. Steadily pieces are being added and now this team is unquestionably an ascending team. Will it make the playoffs this year? I'm not sure. In my mind they are still a fringe playoff team this year.

The Sabres have a really good prospect in Nylander who is developing. Next year or the year after he should be a contributor. The point is that our GM had a lot of assets in draft picks and prospects. There is a limited number of spots to fill. So he traded some off to get players. In general, I think the GM has done a good job. To put things in perspective when a GM makes a lot of moves not every transaction is going to work out as planned. But so far he has bolstered the roster so that it can compete with most teams. Although this team is a couple years away from being a top tier team there is no doubt that it is inching its way up the competitive ladder. Moving up and feeling cautiously optimistic is certainly better than being stuck in the muck of mediocrity. Just ask any Buffalo Bills fan!

Edited by JohnC

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obviously this year's run of injured defensemen has been an extreme fluke, but it has illustrated what I think is Murray's major flaw right now. This team in its current form does not have an NHL caliber 7th defenseman. As a whole, it is a group being forced to play a level that is above them. So far each year, Murray has bargain basement shopped among a list of journeyman minor leaguers. It may have made sense during the tank phase, but he needs to move beyond it at some point. There's always the question of who was actually available, but it doesn't feel like a stretch to say that he could have done better.

Yes, Guhle is coming along, but that's only one guy. Kulikov and Franson are both UFAs after this season and Gorges next season. There's a major overhaul coming to that position as at least two of those three are all but guaranteed to be gone. That's the spot where Murray is going to show whether or not he has what it takes to build a contender.

I don't think a lot of people realize there is a limit to the prospects a team can keep. Plus there were a few that stated they would not sign long term with the Sabres.

Armia played 10 games in the NHL this season and has been sent back to the minors. (10GP, 1G, 3A in NHL)

Compher is playing in the AHL (12GP, 5G, 5A)

Lemiuex is the one guy I didn't want GMTM to trade, but he also stated he would not sign a long term deal with the Sabres, so they had no choice. He is in the AHL (22GP, 3G, 4A)

Brayden McNabb played 8 games in the NHL this season and has been sent to the minors

Armia and McNabb are not in the minors, they are both injured. Armia knee and Mcnabb broken collarbone.

Armia and McNabb are not in the minors, they are both injured. Armia knee and Mcnabb broken collarbone.

I doubt even when healthy that you can categorize either player as significant NHL players. That's not to say that they aren't respectable players but it is not unreasonable to say that they are very replaceable players.

I doubt even when healthy that you can categorize either player as significant NHL players. That's not to say that they aren't respectable players but it is not unreasonable to say that they are very replaceable players.

I'd say McNabb is, but then again there's a hell of a lot more value to a bottom pairing d-man than there is for a bottom line forward.

I'd say McNabb is, but then again there's a hell of a lot more value to a bottom pairing d-man than there is for a bottom line forward.

I don't want to get into a quibbling exchange as to the value of players and positions. I agree with you that a third pairing defenseman has more value than a third or lower line forward. However, when one is discussing a GM who has made a number of deals and it leads to discussing a third pairing defenseman then it is safe to say that no matter what the value is of that type of player it certainly doesn't fall into the category of a significant loss of talent.

Third defensive pairings can be staffed with fundamentally sound stay at home defensemen who play a relatively safe (conservative) style of game. That style of play may not advance your offense but hopefully it will not hurt the team until the top two pairings can get back on the ice. I would say that Jorges falls in that category of player. A Jorges type of player is more of a functional player than being an essential player. Without a doubt that type of player is needed to fill out the roster and serve an important auxiliary role.

I hope it doesn't come across as a quibbling exchange. That's not my intention. I think you nailed it with Gorges though as a 3rd pair guy. Unfortunately he's being asked to be more than that right now. That right there is a perfect example of what is lacking on this blue line right now.

I truly believe this will be Murray's priority moving forward. But then again, I would hope even The Garth Snows of the world would realize that too.

you two are getting close to being exiled to SabreSpace :nana::lol:

I would rather be imprisoned than exiled. At least I would be ensconced in my homeland. :pirate:

I hope it doesn't come across as a quibbling exchange. That's not my intention. I think you nailed it with Gorges though as a 3rd pair guy. Unfortunately he's being asked to be more than that right now. That right there is a perfect example of what is lacking on this blue line right now.

I truly believe this will be Murray's priority moving forward. But then again, I would hope even The Garth Snows of the world would realize that too.

Despite Garth's putrid reputation didn't Garth Snows's team make the playoffs last year? If he can lead a team to the playoffs then why not us???? :lol:

The only good thing about my son talking me into going to this godforsaken Bills game on Sunday is we are going to the Sabre game Friday. Just secured our tickets, first time this year to see Jack live.

The fun part of following the Sabres now is not that they are a dominant team but it is watching a team step by step being built into a serious team. This team is far from being a finished product; that can't be denied. However, it is the progression that is clearly visible that makes following them enjoyable. Also, having one's own superstar, JE, is also something that gives special value to following this team.

The Buffalo Bills for too long have been a downtrodden team. I'll always be loyal to them. But that doesn't mean that their generational mediocrity hasn't worn me down. I have grown very tired of this never ending futility. At this point I would never attend a meaningless cold weather game even if the tickets were for free. Sad to say. :bag:

It's amazing how much changes when you get that franchise player. Perreault was before my time, so I have no idea what it's like to watch that player from day one of his career (even before that since I'm a BU guy).

The only good thing about my son talking me into going to this godforsaken Bills game on Sunday is we are going to the Sabre game Friday. Just secured our tickets, first time this year to see Jack live.

Go to the Big Four doubleheader on Saturday and make it a triple-header!

@BuffaloSabres

Coach Bylsma: Team is getting healthier. Full practice for Bogo & Fedun; will need to make decisions soon.

Czu9p_CUcAAD0EI.jpg

I'm listening to the postgame the other night, and Paul Hamilton says something like when this guy and that guy get back, then the team will be fully healthy.................I hate when anybody says that for any team. Yeah, I'm sure nobody is going to get hurt from here on out!!

Gp6ZdrGS_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

ISLANDERS (11-13-5) at SABRES (11-11-6)

FRI DEC 16, 2016 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 150)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 28 games
Zach Bogosian (MCL sprain, Nov. 3) – 19 games
Tyler Ennis (groin, Nov. 9; injured reserve) – 16 games
Taylor Fedun (shoulder, Dec. 5; injured reserve) – 4 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
12/13: Placed D Taylor Fedun on IR (retroactive to 12/3)

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Dec. 17: Buffalo at Carolina, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 20: Buffalo at Florida, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 22: Carolina at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 23: Buffalo at NY Islanders, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 27: Buffalo at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

ISLANDERS at SABRES
This is first of three meetings between the Sabres and Islanders this season.
Last meeting: Buffalo defeated New York 4-3 (OT) in Buffalo on April 9
Next meeting: Friday, Dec. 23 in New York
The Sabres are 5-4-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Islanders; 3-5-2 at home.
This is the 163rd game all-time between Buffalo and New York; Buffalo has a 79-60-23 series record.
The Sabres are 43-26-12 at home against the Islanders all-time.; Buffalo has an 87-47-20 series record.

Morning Skate: December 16, 2016 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am at KeyBank Center

@BuffaloSabres

Sabres find success rolling lines, "how we want to play"; prep for Islanders: http://bufsabres.co/UyZq7N

CzvrhkbVIAAdlUe.jpg

@NYIslanders

The #Isles fall 5-4 to the Blackhawks at Barclays Center. Recap: https://www.nhl.com/islanders/news/recap-blackhawks-5-islanders-4/c-284751616

CzxQn9bWQAAT2lS.jpg

I'm listening to the postgame the other night, and Paul Hamilton says something like when this guy and that guy get back, then the team will be fully healthy.................I hate when anybody says that for any team. Yeah, I'm sure nobody is going to get hurt from here on out!!

The point that Paul Hamilton was making was that it is difficult/unfair to make judgments on your squad when so many players are hurt at the same time. A couple of weeks ago almost half of the squad was AHL call ups. Now that the injured players, especially with the return of Eichel, have returned and are close to returning the pessimistic view of the team has improved to a more optimistic assessment.

Most people acknowledge that the Sabres are still in the rebuilding stage. When a team is at that less than robust juncture there is little margin of error and ability to absorb injuries compared to teams that have fuller rosters. Now that most of the injured players are back in action the assessment is much more upbeat with the realization that players will continue to get hurt and rehabilitate.

Needless to say it's not surprising that this fuller roster is currently steadily earning points. Thank you Jack!