Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Minor miracle? Come on. If we play 80% of our remaining games without Eichel and O'Reilly, then yes, those playoff percentages are accurate. Otherwise those percentages mean nothing -- they're based on a team that's been injured for a month.

those percentages are based on the results since the 3 point game has come into effect.It accounts for the way teams start to play as early as December...playing the 3rd to a standstill so each team gets a point, then fighting over the bonus point.

Look at last night, half the friggen games worth 3 points, half worth 2. When a game is worth 3 and between two teams you are trying to chase, really freaking hard to make up ground, even a small number like 4 points. The empirical evidence bears that out over the last 11 years

Frustrates me to no end when people say the standings would be the same with a 3-2-1 point system...teams and players would approach the 3rd completely different, there is no way to know right now how the new point would affect changes until you actually enact the change.

Think of it this way..since Jack has come back, the Sabres have earned 7 of 10 points..freaking awesome by any measure. I am not 100% positive, but i think they were 4 out of the wild card then, they are 5 out now. And if you go by the magic 95 points and in, if they continue to gain points at 70% clip, they will only get to 98 points. So very little margin of error !

Good article here as well

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/the-race-to-95-points-what-nhl-teams-need-to-do-to-make-playoffs/

Edited by plenzmd1

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

those percentages are based on the results since the 3 point game has come into effect.It accounts for the way teams start to play as early as December...playing the 3rd to a standstill so each team gets a point, then fighting over the bonus point.

Look at last night, half the friggen games worth 3 points, half worth 2. When a game is worth 3 and between two teams you are trying to chase, really freaking hard to make up ground, even a small number like 4 points. The empirical evidence bears that out over the last 11 years

Frustrates me to no end when people say the standings would be the same with a 3-2-1 point system...teams and players would approach the 3rd completely different, there is no way to know right now how the new point would affect changes until you actually enact the change.

Think of it this way..since Jack has come back, the Sabres have earned 7 of 10 points..freaking awesome by any measure. I am not 100% positive, but i think they were 4 out of the wild card then, they are 5 out now. And if you go by the magic 95 points and in, if they continue to gain points at 70% clip, they will only get to 98 points. So very little margin of error !

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/the-race-to-95-points-what-nhl-teams-need-to-do-to-make-playoffs/

Ya can't argue with math. It will be a challenge for sure, and we can play a lot of the "what if" game with respect to not having Eichel for the 1st quarter of the season, but at least we're watching some fun hockey now. Last night's game was awesome. Lehner has to be sitting there thinking "why not me" with respect to the goal support.

Ya can't argue with math. It will be a challenge for sure, and we can play a lot of the "what if" game with respect to not having Eichel for the 1st quarter of the season, but at least we're watching some fun hockey now. Last night's game was awesome. Lehner has to be sitting there thinking "why not me" with respect to the goal support.

was fun hame last night..i even made it all the way through!!!!

I will still watch the vast majority games, and remember that great run the Sens the made a couple years back..and i think the Sabres can do that. My real peeve is with the point system.

According to SportsClub Stats..great site BTW

Bills playoff chances down 2 games with 4 to play................7.7%

Sabres Playoff Chances down 2 games with 52 to play........10.9%

NHL needs to get rid of this asinine system !

I was really hoping someone would rough up McDavid after he hacked the goalie for the 75th time. If that was Lehner in net, he would have done a bit more than get in McDavid's face like Nilsson did.

What an odd post? Makes no sense!

It was an attempt at humor after Eichel failed to score after scoring in consecutive games. It was satirizing the typical fan reaction to whatever just happened being construed as what always happens.

How about a 3-2-1-0 point system? 3 for regulation win, 2 for OT win, 1 for OT loss or shootout win, 0 for shootout loss.

I'm not worried about the playoff percentages and the implications for every game. If this team can string together a number of successful five game series and get back to reasonable health then the percentages, high or low, will work out in the end. As far as I am concerned if this team can stay in the hunt by the time it reaches the half way point then I'll be satisfied.

With Jack in the lineup this team can score and play a fun brand of hockey. Without him in the lineup our scoring goes limp and it becomes tough to watch. It's amazing how one player can be so responsible for a team's collective confidence. That's a tribute to Jack's talent and presence.

This is still an incomplete team. Our first line with O'Reilly needs another winger to balance out with Okposo. Carrier is an earnest player but he is in my estimation a third or fourth liner. The Larrson line is not the most talented but it is by far the most cohesive. Steadily, Kane seems to be getting better at meshing with Jack and Reinhardt. If they can learn to play together this line should be our best scoring line.

On balance it is clear to me that this team is on an upward trajectory. We can play with the better teams in the league but because of our lack of depth the margin of error is small. In general I'm more than satisfied.

I'm not worried about the playoff percentages and the implications for every game. If this team can string together a number of successful five game series and get back to reasonable health then the percentages, high or low, will work out in the end. As far as I am concerned if this team can stay in the hunt by the time it reaches the half way point then I'll be satisfied.

With Jack in the lineup this team can score and play a fun brand of hockey. Without him in the lineup our scoring goes limp and it becomes tough to watch. It's amazing how one player can be so responsible for a team's collective confidence. That's a tribute to Jack's talent and presence.

This is still an incomplete team. Our first line with O'Reilly needs another winger to balance out with Okposo. Carrier is an earnest player but he is in my estimation a third or fourth liner. The Larrson line is not the most talented but it is by far the most cohesive. Steadily, Kane seems to be getting better at meshing with Jack and Reinhardt. If they can learn to play together this line should be our best scoring line.

On balance it is clear to me that this team is on an upward trajectory. We can play with the better teams in the league but because of our lack of depth the margin of error is small. In general I'm more than satisfied.

I'm with you 100% on those lines. I'm not exactly sure what route they can look, but finding a winger for the top line would be huge. I'm probably crazy in thinking it, but I still hold out hope for Ennis bringing something to this team. That's really the only option in system to bring some offense to the LW. As for the Larsson line, I really don't like Gionta, but for whatever reason, they're decent.

3 goals in 3 games for Kane. I had little hope in him in recent weeks, as he looked so snake bit out there. I've been worried that his head was shot. If he is waking up, look out.

Oh, and then there's the blue line... :wallbash:

Minor miracle? Come on. If we play 80% of our remaining games without Eichel and O'Reilly, then yes, those playoff percentages are accurate. Otherwise those percentages mean nothing -- they're based on a team that's been injured for a month.

This. That being said, the team needs to get/stay healthy.

I really don't like Gionta,

I don't either..son says it still stems from the tank yer and him scolding fans and me getting pissed at him...and he is prolly right!

He almost cost us Jack with that late-season scoring surge he put on, and he sure seemed to have an extra level of try after the infamous Coyotes game.

I don't either..son says it still stems from the tank yer and him scolding fans and me getting pissed at him...and he is prolly right!

He almost cost us Jack with that late-season scoring surge he put on, and he sure seemed to have an extra level of try after the infamous Coyotes game.

agreed. Those max effort guys can be a real pain in the ass...

I'd be fine if he was at least 5 years younger. His age shows and he's clearly lost a step. Well ok, the BC factor plays a part too.

I'm with you 100% on those lines. I'm not exactly sure what route they can look, but finding a winger for the top line would be huge. I'm probably crazy in thinking it, but I still hold out hope for Ennis bringing something to this team. That's really the only option in system to bring some offense to the LW. As for the Larsson line, I really don't like Gionta, but for whatever reason, they're decent.

3 goals in 3 games for Kane. I had little hope in him in recent weeks, as he looked so snake bit out there. I've been worried that his head was shot. If he is waking up, look out.

Oh, and then there's the blue line... :wallbash:

I'm also a fan of Ennis. The problem I foresee is that he is playing for a coach who prefers a tight style of game over a free lance style. My philosophy on team sports is that coaches have to be less rigid and system oriented and more adaptable to the players' strengths and weaknesses. That is one of the reasons why I have so little regard for the cartoonish Rex Ryan. When he took over the reigns he took a strength and made it a weakness in his effort to make it conform to his system. He is the epitome of what happens when you hire stupid people who don't have the self-awareness to recognize how stupid they are. (I apologize for the diversion but this loquacious coach gets me fired up!!!! :w00t:

I'm not as pessimistic about our defense as you are, although I recognize that additions have to eventually be made. Kulokov should be back shortly and Bogo maybe in a few weeks. Guhle has demonstrated in his call up that he can play and by next year he will be an established NHLer. In addition, I'm high on McCabe (Simon is not) in that although he is not going to be an elite player he has demonstrated to me that he is going to be a good player. The more he plays the better he gets and the broader his game gets. So in general I'm not as critical as this unit as most others are.

For me it is fun watching a team being pieced together after having it completely torn down. With regularity the additions are working out and now the elevator is moving up. :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnC

I'm not as pessimistic about our defense as you are, although I recognize that additions have to eventually be made. Kulokov should be back shortly and Bogo maybe in a few weeks. Guhle has demonstrated in his call up that he can play and by next year he will be an established NHLer. In addition, I'm high on McCabe (Simon is not) in that although he is not going to be an elite player he has demonstrated to me that he is going to be a good player. The more he plays the better he gets and the broader his game gets. So in general I'm not as critical as this unit as most others are.

I was thinking about the D in it's current state when I made that comment. I don't even have much to say about them but it's amazing how thin things are right now. They'll certainly be better once they get the bodies back, however long that is supposed to be. Still, there's not much there when the injuries pop up again. Guhle won't be an option at that point.