Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

those percentages are based on the results since the 3 point game has come into effect.It accounts for the way teams start to play as early as December...playing the 3rd to a standstill so each team gets a point, then fighting over the bonus point.

Look at last night, half the friggen games worth 3 points, half worth 2. When a game is worth 3 and between two teams you are trying to chase, really freaking hard to make up ground, even a small number like 4 points. The empirical evidence bears that out over the last 11 years

Frustrates me to no end when people say the standings would be the same with a 3-2-1 point system...teams and players would approach the 3rd completely different, there is no way to know right now how the new point would affect changes until you actually enact the change.

Think of it this way..since Jack has come back, the Sabres have earned 7 of 10 points..freaking awesome by any measure. I am not 100% positive, but i think they were 4 out of the wild card then, they are 5 out now. And if you go by the magic 95 points and in, if they continue to gain points at 70% clip, they will only get to 98 points. So very little margin of error !

Good article here as well

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/the-race-to-95-points-what-nhl-teams-need-to-do-to-make-playoffs/

We are sort of saying the same thing, and I get the 3 point thing, but I think you are still missing my point. That percentage you posted (15%) is based on playing a month and a half with a heavily injured team. If we play the rest of the season without Eichel and O'reilly, then yes, I completely agree with those numbers (and think they are a bit generous in that scenario). But hopefully our top players can stay reasonably healthy, and if they do, that percentage means squat. The math doesn't lie, it's just often interpreted incorrectly.

Also that math is wrong. Since Jack has come back we've earned 7 out of 10 points, and if we continue at that rate we'll wind up with 104 points. That's not squeaking in, that's 3rd or 4th seed territory.

Even if we only play 5-3-2 like we have over our last 10 games (5 without Jack, 4 without O'Reilly) that would put us on a pace for 93 points, and right on the edge.

Ultimately, I think it's just too early to pay attention to playoff percentages. On an NFL scale, we've played the equivalent of 5 games, and playoff percentages aren't taken seriously in the 1st week of October.

Back to that game... there's clearly something wrong with Eichel. He didn't have the same burst. Still fantastic as a QB on the PP but...

Also is there anyone in the league faster than McDavid?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back to that game... there's clearly something wrong with Eichel. He didn't have the same burst. Still fantastic as a QB on the PP but...

I've noticed that with Eichel too and it's to be expected. I can't wait to see things once he fully gets his legs under him and his conditioning is back up there. The amount of puck control and possession he's exhibiting right now even without moving around very much is incredible.

@BuffNewsVogl

Since Brendan Guhle is on emergency recall, Dan Bylsma says defenseman would have to go back to juniors if Gorges, Kulikov return. They may.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is if emergency recalls need to be returned to their team in the same order they were called up. I assume Burdoerfer was an emergency recall as well. Does he have to be returned before Guhle is or does the order not matter?

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is if emergency recalls need to be returned to their team in the same order they were called up. I assume Burdoerfer was an emergency recall as well. Does he have to be returned before Guhle is or does the order not matter?

@Matt_Bove

The #Sabres sent Erik Burgdoerfer back to Rochester. Promising sign that we'll see Kulikov/Gorges (or both) back in lineup tomorrow night

0eZBPPtn_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

CAPITALS (15-7-3) at SABRES (10-10-6)

FRI DEC 9, 2016 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 141)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 26 games
Nicolas Deslauriers (knee, Oct. 30; injured reserve) – 19 games
Zach Bogosian (MCL sprain, Nov. 3) – 17 games
Tyler Ennis (groin, Nov. 9; injured reserve) – 14 games
Dmitry Kulikov (lower back, Nov. 11; injured reserve) – 13 games
Josh Gorges (foot, Dec. 3) – 3 games
Taylor Fedun (shoulder, Dec. 5) – 2 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
12/5: Recalled D Erik Burgdoerfer from Rochester (AHL); Placed D Dmitry Kulikov on IR (retroactive to 11/10)
12/8: Assigned D Erik Burgdoerfer to Rochester (AHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Tuesday, Dec. 13: Los Angeles at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 16: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 17: Buffalo at Carolina, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 20: Buffalo at Florida, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 22: Carolina at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

CAPITALS at SABRES
This is the third and final meeting between the Sabres and Capitals this season.
Last meeting: Washington defeated Buffalo 3-2 (OT) in Washington on Dec. 5
The Sabres are 3-4-3 in their last 10 games vs. the Capitals; 5-2-3 at home.
This is the 155th game all-time between Buffalo and Washington; Buffalo has an 87-47-20 series record.
The Sabres are 46-21-9 at home against the Capitals all-time.

Morning Skate: December 9, 2016 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am at KeyBank Center

@BuffaloSabres

Getting healthy 1f50b.png A sense of optimism is permeating the locker room: http://bufsabres.co/Vd7rAR

CzL2D3nXcAIC0Mv.jpg
CzL2E_lWEAEc67v.jpg

@Capitals

PREVIEW: #Caps finish off 2016-17 season series with the Sabres on Friday night in Buffalo. #CapsSabres #RockTheRed https://dumpnchase.monumentalsportsnetwork.com/2016/12/08/caps-have-friday-night-date-with-sabres-in-buffalo

CzMJnD3UUAAD3jl.jpg

@BuffNewsVogl

Sabres' Evander Kane has found his scoring touch, but penalties are taking away from his game and the team.

https://t.co/8F2qIN3Loy

does that mean Guhle does not play? Sucks if that is the case..like him a ton more than Gorges

Don't know yet, but I'm hoping they let Guhle have one more game.

Oh well!

@JoeYerdon

Bylsma confirms Kulikov and Gorges are back in. That means Guhle and Falk, both emergency recalls, go back.

@BuffaloSabres

Coach Bylsma: Look for Lehner in net, Gorges & Kulikov to return to lineup tonight. Rest of the lineup game-time decision.

CzPw3uDUsAEH_By.jpg

@pham1717

Gorges and 77 are in. Bylsma confirmed Guhle will have to go back. There is an issue either inj or sickness at forward so that is game time

@JoeYerdon

To be clear on Falk, he goes “back” from emergency but gets recalled normally. Paper transaction. He’ll play tonight.