Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

Penalty kill was 9th last year, 29th this year and seems to be getting worse every week (even as we get healthier). WTF is going on Disco Dan?

David Legwand was a stud on the PK. Disco Dan may be joining Rex in the unemployment line after this season, although he'll probably get a pass because of all the injuries...

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're 6 pts out with a game in hand over Boston. But you really need to stop the playoff watch in early December.

I'm glad we don't have to play Washington anymore this season.

see, i am not the only who watches the standings in December. :lol: .. :nana:http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-standing-still-weak/

BTW, how dopey is the NHL scoring system when only 1 team is below .500 in an entire conference!

Edited by plenzmd1

It also ignores the pure volume of prospects/picks that Murray has traded away. Yes you have to give something to get something, but he has moved out a ton of bodies that could be filling the ranks right now.

And I've always hated the hindsight game of "we should have drafted this guy instead". Saying that they could have instead taken someone who went 10-15 picks later in the first round completely ignores how these players were viewed on that specific day. I'm not sure I'd look much beyond a 5 pick window to really see who they might have been considering at that point. Sure, we could have instead drafted TJ Oshie (24th) insetad of Zagrapan (13th), but we may very well have instead drafted Sasha Pokulok (14th) or Ryan O'Marra (15th).

There's something to be said about not getting much return on their picks, but when they add in the "who they could have had" section, it tends to come off as a lazy cherry picking column to me. Hell, at one point he suggests that they could have taken Jake Muzzin (141st overall) instead of either TJ Brennan (31st) or Drew Schiestel (59th). A guy taken over 100 picks later! How can you type that with a straight face?

I agree with everything you have said here..............I hate those lazy columns by Bucky, etc. or even when my friends say things about - we could have picked X and instead we got Y.

And, I am not happy with the return on all the prospects and picks that GMTM was given.

1B3bdnNe_200x200.jpgVS. 7x0FMbmZ_200x200.jpg

Cxy1qtVUkAAuyZr.jpg

KINGS (14-11-2) at SABRES (10-11-6)

TUE DEC 13, 2016 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B

RADIO: WGR 550

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 146)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clots, Oct. 13; injured reserve) – 27 games
Zach Bogosian (MCL sprain, Nov. 3) – 18 games
Tyler Ennis (groin, Nov. 9; injured reserve) – 15 games
Taylor Fedun (shoulder, Dec. 5) – 3 games
Derek Grant (illness, Dec. 9) – 1 game

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
12/8: Assigned D Erik Burgdoerfer to Rochester (AHL)
12/9: Activated F Nicolas Deslauriers and D Dmitry Kulikov from IR; Assigned D Brendan Guhle to Prince George (WHL)

UPCOMING GAMES
Friday, Dec. 16: NY Islanders at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 17: Buffalo at Carolina, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Dec. 20: Buffalo at Florida, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Dec. 22: Carolina at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, Dec. 23: Buffalo at NY Islanders, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

KINGS at SABRES
This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Kings this season.
Last meeting: Los Angeles defeated Buffalo 2-0 in Los Angeles on Feb. 27
Next meeting: Thursday, March 16 in Los Angeles
The Sabres are 6-3-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Kings; 9-1-0 at home
This is the 120th game all-time between Buffalo and Los Angeles; Buffalo has a 58-42-19 series record.
The Sabres are 34-16-9 at home against the Kings all-time.

Morning Skate: December 13, 2016 at 10:00 am – 11:00 am at KeyBank Center

12-13: DAN BYLSMA WITH HOWARD SIMON ON WGR (15:23)

#Sabres head coach Dan Bylsma is on WGR right now! Tune in:

Bylsma - Jack's doing pretty well. Had a lot of energy in first five games, but he's feeling good with some rest #sabres goal

Bylsma - we've talked to Kyle Okposo and he's feeling much better this morning. Hoping he's good to go for tonight #sabres

Bylsma - Okposo's been great through the first 27 games. Really haven't had the chance to see Okposo with a guy like Kane and Eichel #Sabres

Bylsma - Kane took some time to feel comfortable on the ice coming back from injury. He's an effective player for us when he uses his speed

Bylsma - Kane's getting results with the way he plays, but he also opens up things for us #Sabres

Bylsma - to get both Kulikov and Gorges back makes a difference with our game planning in terms of matchups #Sabres

Bylsma - 55 is one of the hardest workers off the ice, he's in great shape. Don't want him to play those minutes, but we're monitoring it

Bylsma - Bogosian will skate with the team at the morning skate. We hope to have him playing within the next 5-10 days #Sabres

Bylsma - we know what we have to do to be a playoff team. We just have to keep up at a 3-game pace. If we do, we'll be back in the race

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I've been looking at this window for several weeks now.

They're going to be relatively healthy for the first time all year, have a manageable schedule coming up and have now had a little time to work together.

I think this is going to be where they finally start making some hay.

Okposo is a good and strong skater. Very impressed with his game. He can play well with all types of players. Both he and O'Reilly play with intelligence and instinct.

I wish that Kane would learn to play around the net more. He has great hands and can finish in tight quarters. His perimeter game is a lot of flash and dash with little production.

I thought that Kulokov had his best game for us.

They're not good enough to win if they only play 30 minutes of hockey like that. The effort in the first half of that game was pretty sad. At home, four days rest, no travel -- that's on the coach.

Luckily O'Reilly woke them up.

They're not good enough to win if they only play 30 minutes of hockey like that. The effort in the first half of that game was pretty sad. At home, four days rest, no travel -- that's on the coach.

Luckily O'Reilly woke them up.

That goal was awesome. Almost choked on my Hershey Nugget screaming and jumping out of my chair!

Who do you want back?

Some of those picks pretty much had to be traded because you can only have 50 players under contract. There was no way to keep all those assets in house anyway.

That's a great question..if you or someone who follows not just the NHL but also prospects much closer could lend some insight be greatly appreciated.

Seems to me no one is doing much elsewhere on the NHL level, quick glance looked like Zadorov getting consistent TOI with the Avalanche..any insight to his play?

But I really have no clue how Armia, Compher, and Lemiuex are progressing...who else am i forgetting?

McNabb was a trade in there as well...was that on GMTM watch? Think he is playing well no?

Anyway, any insight appreciated.

Who do you want back?

Some of those picks pretty much had to be traded because you can only have 50 players under contract. There was no way to keep all those assets in house anyway.

I don't think a lot of people realize there is a limit to the prospects a team can keep. Plus there were a few that stated they would not sign long term with the Sabres.

That goal was awesome. Almost choked on my Hershey Nugget screaming and jumping out of my chair!

That's a great question..if you or someone who follows not just the NHL but also prospects much closer could lend some insight be greatly appreciated.

Seems to me no one is doing much elsewhere on the NHL level, quick glance looked like Zadorov getting consistent TOI with the Avalanche..any insight to his play?

But I really have no clue how Armia, Compher, and Lemiuex are progressing...who else am i forgetting?

McNabb was a trade in there as well...was that on GMTM watch? Think he is playing well no?

Anyway, any insight appreciated.

Armia played 10 games in the NHL this season and has been sent back to the minors. (10GP, 1G, 3A in NHL)

Compher is playing in the AHL (12GP, 5G, 5A)

Lemiuex is the one guy I didn't want GMTM to trade, but he also stated he would not sign a long term deal with the Sabres, so they had no choice. He is in the AHL (22GP, 3G, 4A)

Brayden McNabb played 8 games in the NHL this season and has been sent to the minors

Edited by ricojes

Who do you want back?

Honestly, Compher is the only one I've wanted to keep an eye on. I think I'm mostly soured by the Lehner deal. That one was a completely unnecessary overpayment. I realize that you have to give something to get something and they needed to add some players. He may have done a little too much of that though and you see it with the current lack of depth. The biggest concern to me is that he doesn't seem all that interested in building up the blue line. There haven't been many (if any) moves where he has added to the depth chart there. Every trade has either been a body for a body on the blue line or has shipped one away. It's no surprise that they're facing the numbers game they are now at that position with these trends. It really is a make or break year this summer for that position.