Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whatever happens with this kid Murray was right to deal the puck for exclusivity.

Eichel is one of his best friends and they play together in a summer league. If that doesn't get him signed here I don't know what would have.

100% agree. Low risk (3rd round picks rarely amount to much) for potentially a very high reward.

It was a smart play no matter how it turns out.

100% agree. Low risk (3rd round picks rarely amount to much) for potentially a very high reward.

I know i am a broken record here, but only problem i have is not letting he and his agent shop themselves before 08/15. Could have been same process as what will happen on 08/15...and i am convinced if he reached an agreement to sign somewhere on 07/20, that team would have given something, however marginal, to get his rights and get the deal done then and there.

But the trade itself was well worth it.

Yes, it's refreshing having a GM that's willing to take chances. He will fail at times for sure and will take a lot of heat, but

I know i am a broken record here, but only problem i have is not letting he and his agent shop themselves before 08/15. Could have been same process as what will happen on 08/15...and i am convinced if he reached an agreement to sign somewhere on 07/20, that team would have given something, however marginal, to get his rights and get the deal done then and there.

I would imagine there are NHL rules prohibiting that type of thing, we don't have all the details, so it's tough to just say they simply could have given other teams permission to talk. Or maybe GMTM was trying to trade his rights this whole time to another team, or waiting for another team to make an offer, not likely, but possible. Regardless, it was a good move to trade for his right whether they get him or not. He could have declined an offer to speak with the Sabres after the 15th, at least now he has something to think about.

Edited by ricojes

Is this going to be a new trend with players? Holding out, refusing to report and allowing themselves to become FA's?

There really is no refusal to report here since he was never under a contract. It's not going to be common though. Most of these higher level college guys tend to leave early. It really works best for everyone. The teams get their guy into the system and the player gets out of the restricted entry level contracts sooner. The guys who are more likely to go this free agency route are the late bloomers.

Well if the rumors about the Blackhawks, the Rangers, the Devils and the Bruins are true, then maybe he's doing that a little early anyhow.

There really is no refusal to report here since he was never under a contract. It's not going to be common though. Most of these higher level college guys tend to leave early. It really works best for everyone. The teams get their guy into the system and the player gets out of the restricted entry level contracts sooner. The guys who are more likely to go this free agency route are the late bloomers.

The only other one I can think of, off the top of my head, was Kevin Hayes. Drafted by Chicago, never signed with them, eventually signed with NYR.

The only other one I can think of, off the top of my head, was Kevin Hayes. Drafted by Chicago, never signed with them, eventually signed with NYR.

It seems like there's one every other year or so. Two more come to mind for me, Justin Schultz turning down the Ducks and Blake Wheeler bailing on the Coyotes. Each of these guys goes against my earlier post about late bloomers, so I'll flat out admit I was wrong with that one. Those late bloomers are the guys who tend to wind up as undrafted free agents (brain fart). It's tough to really pin down a connection between each of these guys as the situations are a bit different for each. I'd be curious to see if there was any overlap between their "family advisors", aka agents.

Really though, if I try to look at this from unbiased eyes, I'd say that if you've actually gone long enough that you can become a free agent, you'd be crazy not to. Not very many are going to have the choice of where they start their NHL career.

Really though, if I try to look at this from unbiased eyes, I'd say that if you've actually gone long enough that you can become a free agent, you'd be crazy not to. Not very many are going to have the choice of where they start their NHL career.

Agreed completely. The rules allow it. Can't begrudge anyone for following the rules.

Agreed completely. The rules allow it. Can't begrudge anyone for following the rules.

my thoughts 100%. These kids are drafted when 18, then have to stay in school 4 years to get to be agents. Tough route to go, not getting out of your ELC for 2, possible 3 years after your peers.

does window open at 12:01 AM? Have to say i am in the group that says "if he was going to sign with Sabres, He would have already"..so not expecting him to be a Sabre.

He's from Boston so rules mean nothing. If not the Sabres or Preds it should take him at least a week to investigate all his options fully. If he signs with anyone else tomorrow he was being tampered with and he was cheating the system.

Edited by 4merper4mer

@TSNRyanRishaug

Vesey camp having last minute talks with Sabres. Will likely still go to FA, but Buffalo still very much in the mix.

does window open at 12:01 AM? Have to say i am in the group that says "if he was going to sign with Sabres, He would have already"..so not expecting him to be a Sabre.

He's not a UFA until the 16th.