Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

The Original Six thing is so overplayed. The Rangers are very clearly trending downward, especially when you consider Lundqvist is going to be 35 before the playoffs start next year. The Sabres are very clearly trending the opposite direction.

The reason his decision to play in NYC will be a bad one is all based on money. Someone making $1M in Buffalo is wealthy and will have plenty of extra scratch to invest/set themselves up for life. Someone making $1M in NYC isn't wealthy and won't have as much disposable cash to setup their future. It's as simple as that.

Endorsement opportunities. What kind of scratch you think he pulls in on endorsements in NYC? Gotta think the Rangers will help him line them up.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Endorsement opportunities. What kind of scratch you think he pulls in on endorsements in NYC? Gotta think the Rangers will help him line them up.

The point was "if he sucks he'll regret his decision". How many companies are going to line up to get endorsements from a struggling hockey player? I doubt anyone in NYC is currently lining up to get endorsements from Jimmy Vesey.

The point was "if he sucks he'll regret his decision". How many companies are going to line up to get endorsements from a struggling hockey player? I doubt anyone in NYC is currently lining up to get endorsements from Jimmy Vesey.

This X1,000,000.....who the !@#$ is jimmy vesey? The average New Yorker probably doesn't even know who Henrik Lundqvist is let alone some nobody from Harvard hockey. Jimmy blew is wad on the Rangers. I hope the kid has a huge sack because with the amount of hype that has been built around him...the expectations will be nothing short of a 60-80 point season....good luck with that jimmy

This X1,000,000.....who the !@#$ is jimmy vesey? The average New Yorker probably doesn't even know who Henrik Lundqvist is let alone some nobody from Harvard hockey. Jimmy blew is wad on the Rangers. I hope the kid has a huge sack because with the amount of hype that has been built around him...the expectations will be nothing short of a 60-80 point season....good luck with that jimmy

I follow hockey, but not like I do football. I'd liken the Vesey signing to the Brian Bosworth supplemental draft. Has there been such buildup surrounding a college hockey player before?

I follow hockey, but not like I do football. I'd liken the Vesey signing to the Brian Bosworth supplemental draft. Has there been such buildup surrounding a college hockey player before?

The reason why there has been more attention to the Vesey signing is that not many college players who took the free agent route as he did improved as much as he did. JV was a third round draft pick by Nashville who continued to get better while playing in the college ranks.

Jimmy Vesey's situation is much different from the Bosworth situation in that Bosworth was more of a self-promoted legend magnified by steroid usage whereas Vesey is more of a self-effacing individual who simply worked hard on his game. What made Vesey so appealing is that he is a talented player who was available to all teams in the league at a reasonable price. In other words he was a bargain priced acquisition in a cap system.

I'm 34 and I have never seen a hyped situation like this for a player...there have been good players but not all the hoopla like this....social media adds to this hoopla. I expect he will be a decent top 6 forward....but he can't hold eichels jock....maybe he knew this and therefore didn't want to shadowed by him.

The reason why there has been more attention to the Vesey signing is that not many college players who took the free agent route as he did improved as much as he did. JV was a third round draft pick by Nashville who continued to get better while playing in the college ranks.

Jimmy Vesey's situation is much different from the Bosworth situation in that Bosworth was more of a self-promoted legend magnified by steroid usage whereas Vesey is more of a self-effacing individual who simply worked hard on his game. What made Vesey so appealing is that he is a talented player who was available to all teams in the league at a reasonable price. In other words he was a bargain priced acquisition in a cap system.

So, we know the $$$ involved? What did NY give up to get him? (and how do those dollars compare to recent draft picks?)

So, we know the $$$ involved? What did NY give up to get him? (and how do those dollars compare to recent draft picks?)

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/rangers-sign-highly-coveted-free-agent-jimmy-vesey-after-recruiting-battle/

It's an entry level deal that includes incentives. If he earns a spot on one of the top two lines he would be a tremendous bargain. What he signed for is similar to what other teams would have signed him for.

The Rangers gave up nothing for this free agent signing. That is another aspect to making this signing a bargain.

He signed the max entry level deal for a free agent. $925k with performance incentives up to $2.85m. Same deal every team offered him.

Ignorant on the subject...how does that compare to the draft? What slot would that be equal to? (while the NHL may not have slotting could you say a mid 2nd round pick etc.)

Ignorant on the subject...how does that compare to the draft? What slot would that be equal to? (while the NHL may not have slotting could you say a mid 2nd round pick etc.)

The NHL doesn't work like the NFL. Vesey's contract is the same as Eichel's, just shorter because he's older.

The NHL doesn't work like the NFL. Vesey's contract is the same as Eichel's, just shorter because he's older.

Vesey bet on himself and used the system to his advantage. What it comes down to is that he used his time at Harvard to develop as a player and played it out until he was a free agent. Not only did he work hard to improve his hockey skills but he also persevered and earned a college degree from one of the best and most rigorous colleges in the world. I have nothing but admiration for him. Although I would have loved to see him in a Sabre uniform I still have a lot of respect for him as a hockey player and person.

Vesey bet on himself and used the system to his advantage. What it comes down to is that he used his time at Harvard to develop as a player and played it out until he was a free agent. Not only did he work hard to improve his hockey skills but he also persevered and earned a college degree from one of the best and most rigorous colleges in the world. I have nothing but admiration for him. Although I would have loved to see him in a Sabre uniform I still have a lot of respect for him as a hockey player and person.

I don't have any issue with him, other than he didn't sign with the Sabres. For that reason alone, he can !@#$ off. :D

This might be one of the worst posts I've ever seen on this forum. Literally every sentence you wrote is wrong lol. Every one. Okapis? Have you ever watched a hockey game?

Is this a Crayonz alt that i'm not aware of?

Stardom, prestige, history of winning. Not really surprised, tbh.

I think they've won one Stanley Cup in 72 years. Almost a quarter century of those years, they only had to beat out 5 other teams to win it.

I do know he's had Pats seasons since about '94, so he didn't hope on the BB bandwagon. But, do you think a sports fan in Boston should definitely know a BU hockey player. I know if it was Buffalo, we'd know all about him, like Khalil Mack. But, they have more teams.

It goes beyond that though. Not only did he play locally, but he was also a local kid. There's absolutely no way a serious hockey fan in Boston wouldn't know who he is.

I think they've won one Stanley Cup in 72 years. Almost a quarter century of those years, they only had to beat out 5 other teams to win it.

During those years, the Canadiens had exclusive rights to players coming out of Quebec... SAY WHAT? How the eff does that happen, any wonder why the NHL was just a notch above pro wrestling?

And even when the Habs didn't... They managed to fleece Lafleur away from the bumbling Golden Seals (any wonder, it was Chuck Finley owner of the Seals).

It goes beyond that though. Not only did he play locally, but he was also a local kid. There's absolutely no way a serious hockey fan in Boston wouldn't know who he is.

Serious hockey fans in Boston don't exist. The BoSox are the only team, first love... Fans only go to the other sports when the team is winning.