Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no love for the fans in that area, but you could not be any more wrong with that statement. Keep in mind that Minnesota is the only state that has produced more NHL players.

Two different things. It is a huge hockey area without question, but Bruins fans are only slightly less fair weather than Pats fans. Much to my surprise when the Bruins and Celtics were down a few years back their games were ghost towns. Sox are followed 100% and they are very strong fans.

BC, BU, Harvard, Northeastern hockey YES. Bruins.....maybe.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Well, at least it's over! I would have been happy with the signing, but it's not a big loss. Ennis should put up better numbers than Vesey if he can stay on the ice, so that's a good addition to add to last years team. It was a low risk, high reward move by GMTM. They had 4 third round picks and I think a lot of people don't realize an NHL organization can only have 50 players under contract at one time, so the odds of all 4 of those picks making it long term are slim.

Burke sums it up pretty well...http://thehockeywriters.com/vesey-gamble-doesnt-pay-off-for-sabres-but-thats-alright/

Well, at least it's over! I would have been happy with the signing, but it's not a big loss. Ennis should put up better numbers than Vesey if he can stay on the ice, so that's a good addition to add to last years team. It was a low risk, high reward move by GMTM. They had 4 third round picks and I think a lot of people don't realize an NHL organization can only have 50 players under contract at one time, so the odds of all 4 of those picks making it long term are slim.

Burke sums it up pretty well...http://thehockeywriters.com/vesey-gamble-doesnt-pay-off-for-sabres-but-thats-alright/

The pick wasn't the risk. Alienating Ennis was the risk.

Two different things. It is a huge hockey area without question, but Bruins fans are only slightly less fair weather than Pats fans. Much to my surprise when the Bruins and Celtics were down a few years back their games were ghost towns. Sox are followed 100% and they are very strong fans.

BC, BU, Harvard, Northeastern hockey YES. Bruins.....maybe.

That's what I implied. We are talking about the NHL and where he wants to play.

The pick wasn't the risk. Alienating Ennis was the risk.

With or without Vesey Ennis was going to compete for a spot on one of the two top lines. The loss of Vesey has nothing to do with Ennis's preparation for the season. He is one of the players that I am expecting to give a boost to the roster.

Forgive me if it's already been mentioned here because I didn't read every post. I think it's kind of interesting that the rumors were of the Hayes family telling him not to play in Boston and now he winds up on the same team as Kevin Hayes. It seems like we should have been aware of this option much earlier.

It goes beyond that though. Not only did he play locally, but he was also a local kid. There's absolutely no way a serious hockey fan in Boston wouldn't know who he is.

Then he must not be. I didn't know if it was just different in Boston than Buffalo - what the average sports fan knows.

Serious hockey fans in Boston don't exist. The BoSox are the only team, first love... Fans only go to the other sports when the team is winning.

During the 60s, Red Auerbach pretty much hated Boston because he thought it was a very racist city. His Celtics were winning title after title and drawing flies. And, the Bruins were horrible and having sellouts.

During those years, the Canadiens had exclusive rights to players coming out of Quebec... SAY WHAT? How the eff does that happen, any wonder why the NHL was just a notch above pro wrestling?

And even when the Habs didn't... They managed to fleece Lafleur away from the bumbling Golden Seals (any wonder, it was Chuck Finley owner of the Seals).

Serious hockey fans in Boston don't exist. The BoSox are the only team, first love... Fans only go to the other sports when the team is winning.

I had thought Lafreur was one of those territory things.

Then he must not be. I didn't know if it was just different in Boston than Buffalo - what the average sports fan knows.

During the 60s, Red Auerbach pretty much hated Boston because he thought it was a very racist city. His Celtics were winning title after title and drawing flies. And, the Bruins were horrible and having sellouts.

Then in 1980,swapped our Braves and packed up and moved to San Diego! Then Boston went on to win with Bird. Eff Boston!

This reminds me of what was probably the lowest moment I saw from their fans while I lived out there. The year that Auerbach died, Sabres-Bruins was the very first event in the arena after he died. They did a moment of silence for him before the game. Seconds into it, some idiot yells out Buffalo sucks, which was followed up by some other random chatter. So they couldn't even come close to making it through a moment of silence for one of their town's sport icons.

This reminds me of what was probably the lowest moment I saw from their fans while I lived out there. The year that Auerbach died, Sabres-Bruins was the very first event in the arena after he died. They did a moment of silence for him before the game. Seconds into it, some idiot yells out Buffalo sucks, which was followed up by some other random chatter. So they couldn't even come close to making it through a moment of silence for one of their town's sport icons.

:wallbash:

@SInow

Rangers win big with Jimmy Vesey, but what about the losers? Here’s where they turn to next http://on.si.com/2bsaeq7

CqjPeCtWAAAXLO2.jpg

Sabres

GM Tim Murray is taking some heat for failing to sign Vesey after sending a third-round pick to the Predators to secure his negotiating rights. Fair? Hardly. No, it didn’t pay off, but that’s a risk any quality manager should be willing to take.

But now that he’s come up short, Murray has to reassess where he stands heading into the season. Any thought of trading troubled winger Evander Kane, if there even was a market for him, should be set aside. In fact, he may want to look into adding another forward. Pirri, a 25-year-old with 36 goals in his past 110 games, may be of interest here. So might former Panther Jiri Hudler. The young Sabres ranked 25th in goals scored last year, so they need some help. A veteran presence might end up being more valuable than Vesey in the short term.

@SInow

Rangers win big with Jimmy Vesey, but what about the losers? Heres where they turn to next http://on.si.com/2bsaeq7

CqjPeCtWAAAXLO2.jpg

Sabres

GM Tim Murray is taking some heat for failing to sign Vesey after sending a third-round pick to the Predators to secure his negotiating rights. Fair? Hardly. No, it didnt pay off, but thats a risk any quality manager should be willing to take.

But now that hes come up short, Murray has to reassess where he stands heading into the season. Any thought of trading troubled winger Evander Kane, if there even was a market for him, should be set aside. In fact, he may want to look into adding another forward. Pirri, a 25-year-old with 36 goals in his past 110 games, may be of interest here. So might former Panther Jiri Hudler. The young Sabres ranked 25th in goals scored last year, so they need some help. A veteran presence might end up being more valuable than Vesey in the short term.

Was GMTM getting heat from the Vesey rights trade? First I've heard.

Why all the fuss over this scrub?

He's the player that the Buffalo organization aggressively pursued and coveted, as many others did. What made him appealing was that he could be signed for a reasonable price without giving up anything.

I believe that if he would have signed with Buffalo there would have been a greater likelihood that Murray would have moved Evander Kane, even if the return would have been of minimal value.

I'm hoping that Tyler Ennis demonstrates that he would be a good top too line player that would more than make up for the loss of Vesey.