Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

@WGR550

Friedman - I think the #Sabres have taken a long look at BU coach David Quinn. They might make a play for him, other teams are interested

Eichel will be the youngest player-coach in modern sports history.

@WGR550

Friedman - I'm surprised by these moves. A lot of people will be lined up for the head coaching job and GM job. #Sabres

@BuffNewsVogl

As Pegulas need to make Sabres hires once again, names such as Drury, Housley, Lombardi and McGuire are available.

https://t.co/68V9QU2h3b

Is Drury in line for GM or coach? Because I can't see a man of his maniacal competitive nature behind the bench; he couldn't tolerate that. He is perhaps the single greatest leader on any sports team Buffalo has ever had and I wish we had someone to toss the boom box out of the room when we lose a game in October like he did. This team seems to be a mix of veterans just along for the fat money ride and youngsters who don't know the score yet.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is Drury in line for GM or coach? Because I can't see a man of his maniacal competitive nature behind the bench; he couldn't tolerate that. He is perhaps the single greatest leader on any sports team Buffalo has ever had and I wish we had someone to toss the boom box out of the room when we lose a game in October like he did. This team seems to be a mix of veterans just along for the fat money ride and youngsters who don't know the score yet.

He's currently the AGM for the NYR, so it would be taking over for Murray.

Pegula's favorite sport is hockey. It's my opinion he has a better understanding of the unique culture, environment and required roster building in that unique sport. When he evaluated the hockey GM he saw a team where not only were there talent deficiencies but the talent didn't particularly fit. Again, although Pegula has an amateur eye toward hockey he has a keen eye. He recognized that the team wasn't responding to the coach. What sealed the fate of Bylsma is after the week long break when the team was still in the playoff race the team appeared to quit. Even amateurs can see the obvious.

No coach or organizational employee working for him in any sport can ever claim that he is being short-changed resources to do his job. The Ralph Wilson restrictive environment albatross is history. The problem isn't that the Pegulas provide enough money it may be that he doesn't wisely provide the money. The downside for the employees is that with the financial commitment there is a high level of accountability that will be attached to the support.

Terry Pegula has made some big time mistakes in his new vocation of a pro sports owner. The upside to his struggles with the learning curve is that he evaluates outcomes and doesn't tolerate excuses.

Whaley is up high walking a tight rope and he is doing it in a wind storm. To put it mildly he is in a precarious position.

If I'm Doug Whaley, I am pushing hard to draft a potential franchise qb. Buys me a growth year and it is the best single factor determining long term success. Resident insider, Leroi, claims Whaley likes Mahomes and has him in the top five, though he also said it is fluid. Have no idea, but if DW thinks that highly of Mahomes and he is there at ten, how do you rationally pass on him?

Without oversimplifying it this wasn't that difficult of a decision IMO. They didn't do a very good job. Murray had TONS of assets and he ended up with a few players. Anybody could have picked Eichel so he doesn't get credit for that. He built the war chest to rebuild and then spent it all on $.10 hookers.

Bylsma might have been worse. Add in the relationship that he and Jack have and there was no question he wouldn't be back.

These guys were tasked with a rebuild and they failed. I'm hoping that the new life will bring upon better results.

Well said!

If I'm Doug Whaley, I am pushing hard to draft a potential franchise qb. Buys me a growth year and it is the best single factor determining long term success. Resident insider, Leroi, claims Whaley likes Mahomes and has him in the top five, though he also said it is fluid. Have no idea, but if DW thinks that highly of Mahomes and he is there at ten, how do you rationally pass on him?

I don't deny anything you are saying but I don't see it happening. Not because of what Whaley wants to do but more so because what McDermott most likely wants to do. If Whaley had his way TT would not be on the roster. It was McDermott and his staff that won the argument for keeping him.

Don't get me wrong keeping him under his reworked contract makes a lot of sense. But coaches by nature are more concerned with the short term than the broader picture. Whaley to his own detriment accommodated Rex on personnel decisions. It not only set this franchise in the short term but it had a damaging impact for the next few seasons. Again, I see him accommodating the new coach with a defensive background.

You know what my position is. I hope that I am wrong but odds are that this franchise will again probably act small and allow our failures to become other teams successes. If I'm proved to be wrong I will be ecstatic. But I'm not counting on it.

I concur. Leroi did not suggest Whaley would be able to pick Mahomes, so I take it McD wants to go another direction, which is both short-sighted and the traditional Bills way of doing things.

It was the owner and not Whaley who made the coaching hire. All reports indicated that Whaley wanted the interviewing process to continue. It came to an abrupt halt when the owner made the selection. The balance tips away from Whaley to McDermott.

Greg Brady @sn590gbrady

This is special

Also:

It's not that you decide to move off of Tim Murray or the more-accomplished Bylsma, but the day AFTER the Eichel story is a bad, bad look.

That right there is a joke. The Murray meeting was scheduled and part of a normal routine. You don't change anything because of some comments to the press. Johnny Bravo needs a new schtick.

Pegula's favorite sport is hockey. It's my opinion he has a better understanding of the unique culture, environment and required roster building in that unique sport. When he evaluated the hockey GM he saw a team where not only were there talent deficiencies but the talent didn't particularly fit. Again, although Pegula has an amateur eye toward hockey he has a keen eye. He recognized that the team wasn't responding to the coach. What sealed the fate of Bylsma is after the week long break when the team was still in the playoff race the team appeared to quit. Even amateurs can see the obvious.

No coach or organizational employee working for him in any sport can ever claim that he is being short-changed resources to do his job. The Ralph Wilson restrictive environment albatross is history. The problem isn't that the Pegulas provide enough money it may be that he doesn't wisely provide the money. The downside for the employees is that with the financial commitment there is a high level of accountability that will be attached to the support.

Terry Pegula has made some big time mistakes in his new vocation of a pro sports owner. The upside to his struggles with the learning curve is that he evaluates outcomes and doesn't tolerate excuses.

Whaley is up high walking a tight rope and he is doing it in a wind storm. To put it mildly he is in a precarious position.

Sorry, not buying it about Pegula. He has shown with both teams that he can't hire right. He should stay out of the process entirely. Go dig a well and fall into it or something until someone else chooses the next duo. Pegula could go into any bar in town and pull the first person he sees off a stool and have that person easily do a better job at choosing personnel than he's shown to do.

I thought the Sabres should have used the Bills' "one voice" mentality with Murray. Have that guy stay in the background and make deals. Have someone else be the front man. Murray could have gotten one more shot in my book, especially with this unique offseason coming up with Vegas thrown into the mix. I hate the timing of this, but if Murray wasn't going to be the guy going forward then I suppose now is better than later.

I hate to see anyone lose their job, but Bylsma wasn't the right guy to coach this team. I hope they get this next decision right. I have zero confidence that they will.

Sorry, not buying it about Pegula. He has shown with both teams that he can't hire right. He should stay out of the process entirely. Go dig a well and fall into it or something until someone else chooses the next duo. Pegula could go into any bar in town and pull the first person he sees off a stool and have that person easily do a better job at choosing personnel than he's shown to do.

I thought the Sabres should have used the Bills' "one voice" mentality with Murray. Have that guy stay in the background and make deals. Have someone else be the front man. Murray could have gotten one more shot in my book, especially with this unique offseason coming up with Vegas thrown into the mix. I hate the timing of this, but if Murray wasn't going to be the guy going forward then I suppose now is better than later.

I hate to see anyone lose their job, but Bylsma wasn't the right guy to coach this team. I hope they get this next decision right. I have zero confidence that they will.

You didn't carefully read my post. I'm not absolving Pegula of his mistakes. That is more evident on the football side than the hockey side. But let's not shy away what happened with the hockey team. Murray had full authority in the hockey operation. He built the roster. He accumulated the talent through the draft, trades, free agency etc. Pegula didn't interfere with him doing his job. The roster that Murray built was flawed and imbalanced. The players didn't consistently play at a high level and they didn't respond to the coach they were playing for.

Murray ran the show the way he wanted. He was the voice. What's your complaint with that? He had full hockey authority with either no or little interference from the owner. The bottom line is the bottom line. The results are the results. The owner wasn't satisfied with it. He moved on. You may be uncomfortable with holding people accountable but I'm not. Blustering doesn't trump one's record.

My preference would have been to keep Murray and fire Bylsma. The owner didn't see it that way. However, I have no problem with the house cleaning.

I'm going to have to listen to this one this morning. It's got the potential for trainwreck given Pegula's past talks in public. If he doesn't have a big time hockey mind lined up already, it will get ugly fast.