Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going to have to listen to this one this morning. It's got the potential for trainwreck given Pegula's past talks in public. If he doesn't have a big time hockey mind lined up already, it will get ugly fast.

I understand your point about having someone in mind but why limit your options? The best approach for him to take is scan the options from more organizations and broaden the field for candidates. The scouting for the draft should be mostly finished so the rankings should be almost complete. No doubt there is a time pressure to get things done so the pressing business can be started. But doing it right is more important than doing it quickly.

I understand your point about having someone in mind but why limit your options? The best approach for him to take is scan the options from more organizations and broaden the field for candidates. The scouting for the draft should be mostly finished so the rankings should be almost complete. No doubt there is a time pressure to get things done so the pressing business can be started. But doing it right is more important than doing it quickly.

At some basic level, he's going to need someone with a much better feel for the NHL world to help him weed through those picks. I don't think you have the luxury of time to first find that first guy. You'll then have to go through that same process again for the GM and then for the coach. Lombardi is the obvious guy right now. I don't know who else is out there, but the organization is going to need a head of hockey ops type person as soon as possible. It's all going to flow from there.

Coach can definitely wait. They've got plenty of time there.

I'll throw this one out there for those who think David Quinn from BU might be an option here for coach. This comment was posted last week. I just read a very good comparison for Quinn, saying that he is essentially the John Calipari of the college hockey world right now. I can't see him having any interest in leaving that.

Hmm..listening to Pegs now

1) Discipline.....never thought Murray would be accused of not being disciplined

2) Terry picking next guy at GM for sure

3) Most likely coach too

4) GM going to have experience...

5) Not happy with the organization top to bottom

6) Character...said a couple of times...Murray can't be happy be with that. Football coach having a ton of influence.

BTW, Sully not a knucklehead as of yet...his question was valid.

Edited by plenzmd1

Wow Pegs just said that is a complete fabrication!

Yes because they haven't interviewed anyone yet...

I though Terry did a very good job staying calm with some of those idiotic questions, they were trying to push his buttons and couldn't do it...

Edited by ricojes

Buffalo media continues to look like a bunch of hillbillies with an agenda.

I did not think they were near as negative/aggressive as I thought they would be. I thought all the questions were fair, I even thought they should have pressed more on what has he learned, mistakes, what will be different moving forward etc.

Buffalo media continues to look like a bunch of hillbillies with an agenda.

It's the Buffalo News and they do have an agenda against the Pegulas. What's interesting to me is that the reasons don't appear to be confined to the News having limited access. The vibe I'm getting is that "old" money in Buffalo, especially that which is tied into the BN, doesn't hold the Pegulas in the highest regard in certain social circles. The cynic in me believes this is directly related to a certain editorial stance.

Hmm..listening to Pegs now

1) Discipline.....never thought Murray would be accused of not being disciplined

2) Terry picking next guy at GM for sure

3) Most likely coach too

4) GM going to have experience...

5) Not happy with the organization top to bottom

6) Character...said a couple of times...Murray can't be happy be with that. Football coach having a ton of influence.

BTW, Sully not a knucklehead as of yet...his question was valid.

I really hope they don't limit the GM search to candidates with experience as a GM. That takes a LOT of good candidates out of the picture immediately IMO. I really hope he meant someone with experience in a president type role or that someone who's been an asst. GM for quite a while under a great GM or something like that. There's a number of really really good asst. GMs waiting for their first shot IMO. I just don't think it's good to limit your search so much right off the bat like that.

I also hope it's not Dean Lombardi. I think he's a bit out of touch with where the current NHL game is/has been headed.

And yeah, those Character comments were a bit damning of Tim Murray, and Dan Bylsma (but I definitely took it as more of a shot at a Tim Murray).

I also said yesterday that Terry Pegula didn't hire Tim Murray, and now we know that he definitely didn't hire Dan Bylsma either (as was speculated by some), and that was a factor. Pegula hired LaFontaine. He never planned on having Tim Murray run the whole organization. Now we will get a better idea of Pegula's vision for the Sabres...

I was also very glad to see him address that "Eichel, coach killer" narrative right off the bat. I was really hoping he'd do that. I hate seeing Eichel taking so much blame for this.

Edited by BillsFan4

That was a very paint by numbers press conference when it comes to Pegula. He didn't bring the trainwreck element at all. This thing was coming for a few days now because he was clearly prepared. This is probably the first time he feels like an owner to me. Now let's just hope things progress from here and he finds the right person.

It's the Buffalo News and they do have an agenda against the Pegulas. What's interesting to me is that the reasons don't appear to be confined to the News having limited access. The vibe I'm getting is that "old" money in Buffalo, especially that which is tied into the BN, doesn't hold the Pegulas in the highest regard in certain social circles. The cynic in me believes this is directly related to a certain editorial stance.

Could you elaborate? I have no clue what you are suggesting?

At this point, when I hear the Pegulas will be directly hiring coaches/GM I cringe. I understand they own the teams and it is their right.

I'll hold off on making judgements until someone is hired, but we have seen a bit on the Bills side. We know the Pegulas directly hired Rex and seemed to have directly hired McDermott. Sure you can get a sense of the "intangibles", but to me any conversation coaching related should be rooted in X's and O's and how philosophies fit with the current roster talents. Focusing too much on the person got us a coach in Ryan, who's scheme didn't jive with the already dominant defensive talent leading to regression.

My point here being...what qualifies Terry and Kim to make these sport specific decisions? I understand at some point you need to trust someone, but I have come around to the "czar" philosophy for both teams. I think we need a qualified buffer between the Pegulas and direct ops decisions. The owners seem to desire direct involvement though, which I'm skeptical of.

At this point, when I hear the Pegulas will be directly hiring coaches/GM I cringe. I understand they own the teams and it is their right.

I'll hold off on making judgements until someone is hired, but we have seen a bit on the Bills side. We know the Pegulas directly hired Rex and seemed to have directly hired McDermott. Sure you can get a sense of the "intangibles", but to me any conversation coaching related should be rooted in X's and O's and how philosophies fit with the current roster talents. Focusing too much on the person got us a coach in Ryan, who's scheme didn't jive with the already dominant defensive talent leading to regression.

My point here being...what qualifies Terry and Kim to make these sport specific decisions? I understand at some point you need to trust someone, but I have come around to the "czar" philosophy for both teams. I think we need a qualified buffer between the Pegulas and direct ops decisions. The owners seem to desire direct involvement though, which I'm skeptical of.

Even if they go with that "czar" approach, he's still going to have to be the one that hires that person. If the GM is going to be the one in that role, then so be it, but he (the GM) then needs to be the one to hire a coach.