Sabres & NHL 2016-17 - Victor Antipin Signs One Year Deal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not shocked with Bylsma but am very surprised with GMTM

Will they go after Jack's coach from BU?

Quinn would be crazy to leave. He's got a lifetime gig at BU if he wants it. His biggest strength of all is recruiting and that doesn't do anything for you at the NHL level. He keeps bringing in class after class of high end draft picks and that will never change as long as he is there.

He really doesn't have that much of an overlap with Eichel either, just that one season. He did not recruit him to BU and he did not coach him in the US developmental program.

Quinn would be crazy to leave. He's got a lifetime gig at BU if he wants it. His biggest strength of all is recruiting and that doesn't do anything for you at the NHL level. He keeps bringing in class after class of high end draft picks and that will never change as long as he is there.

He really doesn't have that much of an overlap with Eichel either, just that one season. He did not recruit him to BU and he did not coach him in the US developmental program.

I dont follow college hockey that closely, so thanks for this shrader.

Well, I guess the rumors were right... I heard (from a guy who has a family member that works for the Sabres) that Bylsma was less than 50/50 to come back and that Murray was already on the hot seat (as I posted a couple pages back, but I didn't actually fully believe it about Murray).

Bylsma is no shock at all. He was toast when all that stuff came out about the players (and especially Eichel) not wanting to play for him.

But Murray was a bit of a shocker. He also did it to himself IMO. He tried to speed up the rebuild too much, and his trades were not very good. Way too many assets given up. That 2015 draft alone could have set the Sabres up for a decade.

Sucks that Murray didn't get to finish the job though and now we're going to change visions in the middle of the rebuild (for the 2nd time!), after burning through all those assets. But at least he won't get to waste anymore of our assets.

Pegula HAS TO get this next hire right. He has to. Honestly, IMO he screwed up when he fired Regier. Not that I think Regier was a good GM and should still be here, but I just think he should have let Regier finish the tear down and tank, let him stockpile a ton of assets (as he was great at getting big trade returns) and then get rid of him when it was time to take the next step.

I just feel like the Sabres really could have been a dynasty, been something very special. Maybe I'm putting too much stock into draft picks, I don't know, but the Sabrs were on pace to have more draft picks than almost any team in history.

Edited by BillsFan4

It has to be an attractive situation for prospective GMs and coaches. The owners don't meddle; they give you all the resources you could ask for and just enough rope to hang yourself. You've got Eichel, Kane, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Risto, and a bunch of other prospects.

I'm really glad Bylsma is gone; sort of indifferent on Murray. I'll miss his bluntness.

If Toronto is out of the playoffs...does this happen?

i think it is a factor, along with Edmonton. Biggest thing is they were both awful, but actually progressed with their plan. The Sabres regressed with their plan, despite Eichel developing into a star. Edited by YoloinOhio

Hamilton just wrote the deal for Antipov(sp) the Ruskie D-man, may now be in jeopardy, and by all accounts, he is a pretty good player.

Also wrote Murray prolly had some side deals already set with Vegas, and those too may be off the table.

Also wrote Murray prolly had some side deals already set with Vegas, and those too may be off the table.

This was one of my first thoughts. I can't imagine there was too much in place there though.

@kevsylvester

For what it's worth: I'm told the decision to fire Murray and Bylsma was made before the meeting with the Pegulas yesterday.

@BuffaloSabres

Sabres Owner Terry Pegula will address the media tomorrow at 10 a.m.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun

If I'm Pegula, among the GM candidates I would look at: Julien BriseBois, Jason Botterill, Dean Lombardi and Brad Treliving (if he's free)

@WGR550

Friedman - I think the #Sabres have taken a long look at BU coach David Quinn. They might make a play for him, other teams are interested

This is exciting news. Do you suppose Eichel and Reinhart will participate in the interview process for new GM and coach?

Eichel will be the youngest player-coach in modern sports history.

@WGR550

Friedman - I'm surprised by these moves. A lot of people will be lined up for the head coaching job and GM job. #Sabres

@BuffNewsVogl

As Pegulas need to make Sabres hires once again, names such as Drury, Housley, Lombardi and McGuire are available.

https://t.co/68V9QU2h3b

Without oversimplifying it this wasn't that difficult of a decision IMO. They didn't do a very good job. Murray had TONS of assets and he ended up with a few players. Anybody could have picked Eichel so he doesn't get credit for that. He built the war chest to rebuild and then spent it all on $.10 hookers.

Bylsma might have been worse. Add in the relationship that he and Jack have and there was no question he wouldn't be back.

These guys were tasked with a rebuild and they failed. I'm hoping that the new life will bring upon better results.

The person who should be bothered by the firings is Whaley. The owner is not afraid to pull the plug.

The person who should be bothered by the firings is Whaley. The owner is not afraid to pull the plug.

Yep, I mentioned this to friends...Whaley should be shaking in his boots right now.

@WGR550

Friedman - I think the #Sabres have taken a long look at BU coach David Quinn. They might make a play for him, other teams are interested

Eichel will be the youngest player-coach in modern sports history.

@WGR550

Friedman - I'm surprised by these moves. A lot of people will be lined up for the head coaching job and GM job. #Sabres

@BuffNewsVogl

As Pegulas need to make Sabres hires once again, names such as Drury, Housley, Lombardi and McGuire are available.

https://t.co/68V9QU2h3b

Pierre McGuire please! Just to get that asshat off of the tv broadcasts!!!!!!

Yep, I mentioned this to friends...Whaley should be shaking in his boots right now.

Pegula's favorite sport is hockey. It's my opinion he has a better understanding of the unique culture, environment and required roster building in that unique sport. When he evaluated the hockey GM he saw a team where not only were there talent deficiencies but the talent didn't particularly fit. Again, although Pegula has an amateur eye toward hockey he has a keen eye. He recognized that the team wasn't responding to the coach. What sealed the fate of Bylsma is after the week long break when the team was still in the playoff race the team appeared to quit. Even amateurs can see the obvious.

No coach or organizational employee working for him in any sport can ever claim that he is being short-changed resources to do his job. The Ralph Wilson restrictive environment albatross is history. The problem isn't that the Pegulas provide enough money it may be that he doesn't wisely provide the money. The downside for the employees is that with the financial commitment there is a high level of accountability that will be attached to the support.

Terry Pegula has made some big time mistakes in his new vocation of a pro sports owner. The upside to his struggles with the learning curve is that he evaluates outcomes and doesn't tolerate excuses.

Whaley is up high walking a tight rope and he is doing it in a wind storm. To put it mildly he is in a precarious position.

That was my first thought, too.

There is a relationship between the different pro sports in Buffalo. He owns both of them. Terry P has not shown a reluctance to make the hires and he hasn't shown a reluctance to fire staff involved in underachieving teams. He has a no excuse policy for performance. Fair or not and right or wrong that is the approach he is bringing to each of the organizations that he owns.

Edited by JohnC