No matter what this season will be a success.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rex stays regardless.

I think the only way he gets the boot is if the defense takes a serious step backward. If we finish 25 or worse they have to let him go, otherwise he'll get another chance.

You just can't fire your coach every two years, it doesn't matter if they **** the bed, so long as it isn't every week.

If Wrecks gets less than eight wins, he's toast.... It'll be Tom Coughlin or Lovie Smith replacing him and his unkempt, pot-bellied, brother..

Coughlin, interesting. He definitely knows how to win and run a tight ship and did it with a Slightly above average QB in Eli.

I dont want to "make" the playoffs. I want to win the playoffs.

True, "making" the playoffs would be a step in the right direction. But I'm not really in the "hey, just get in and you never know what can happen" camp. I want to see that our team is built to actually win in the playoffs. I dont want to just back into it on strength-of-schedule tiebreaker or whatever, and then get man-handled and shown the early exit door.

How about we aspire to host a playoff game? Or win a playoff game? Or else.

i just don't see Rex getting fired if we are a 9 win or better team. What's interesting is last year we had the weakest opponents in the AFCS and NFCE. This year we have the NFCW and AFCN. He was 8-8. If he wins more games this year with this schedule, that would be impressive.

I've always liked Coughlin, but he's getting up there in age. Our next coach really depends on who is the next hot coordinator. BB- I know you love Harbaugh, but he's not leaving Michigan getting paid $8 mil / year.

These college guys know they have a sweet gig. They make as much or more than NFL coaches and have more longevity. The Nick Saban's of the world recruit the best kids and remain in these top programs forever.

Rinse and repeat is not success, it's the status quo

I don't know who will be available, but if Rex is gone, it needs to be a coach that has proven he can take the talent already on the roster and design a winning game plan around that talent. Hiring an inflexible coach like Rex required a major purge of the roster and sent the Bills into another cycle of rebuilding. That is the rinse and repeat that does not succeed.

In today's fast moving, win now NFL environment the secret is to find a coaching staff / management that can successfully find ways to use the square pegs they are given in a game plan that creates the square holes that they can fit in, not to butcher them to shave off the corners and cripple their natural abilities.

That is how you build a win now / adaptable fast moving team. Not hiring an ego maniac who boasts how smart and great he is and wants it done HIS way no matter what the talent he is given will perform best at doing. You need a staff that are adaptable and have a proven history of adapting their game plan to the tools they are given rather than expect to be given new and different tools. FA and the draft should be used to tweak and refine your roster, not to completely rebuild it after yet another major tear-down.

Edited by simpleman

I don't know who will be available, but if Rex is gone, it needs to be a coach that has proven he can take the talent already on the roster and design a winning game plan around that talent. Hiring an inflexible coach like Rex required a major purge of the roster and sent the Bills into another cycle of rebuilding. That is the rinse and repeat that does not succeed.

I'm interested to hear more about this theory.

If Wrecks gets less than eight wins, he's toast.... It'll be Tom Coughlin or Lovie Smith replacing him and his unkempt, pot-bellied, brother..

It won't be either of these guys. What do you do just pull names out of a hat? I just talked to Tom over Memorial Day Weekend..... He's done coaching, The amount of time spent away from Judy, the kids and grand kids he doesn't think it's fair to the rest of the family. He also said it wouldn't be fair to the new team he would go to. He could offer no more than a few years to a new team. Sounds like he might be interested in a team consultant job. He said though the wife likes me home more, she just doesn't like me home too much.

It depends what happens. If they only win 5-6 games but TT or SW gets is out for a long stretch that changes things. Rex could actually be 8-8 and show improvement because on paper it's a tougher schedule. Not sure it's as black and white as the record, many shades of grey exist. So we will see.

I'm not a koolaid drinker, but I hold out hope like many do. I'm actually feeling good about this year for some reason, even with all of the issues we bring up (over and over and over).

In any case there is a long wait between now and the 1st game. A lot of bad bad things can happen between now and then. Here's hoping for the opposite, we deserve good things. Doesn't mean it will happen and I know the big guy has more important things, but add in a prayer now and then. Can't hurt. (Most of the other teams fans have probably given this up)

Edited by SRQ_BillsFan

It depends on Tyrod. No coach can do much in the post season without a solid, productive qb.

Rex hasn't ever had the franchise qb before, but if Tyrod has a good enough season to show he's the man and we still don't get a playoff berth then you might see Rex get the boot.

If TT gets hurt or has a sophomore slump it's hard to blame the head coach, and it wouldn't be logical to terminate him based on that.

Its all based on qb play, as always.

Rex and TT are on the same boat, they'll sink or swim together.

Now teach the kid how to slide.....

It depends on Tyrod. No coach can do much in the post season without a solid, productive qb.

Rex hasn't ever had the franchise qb before, but if Tyrod has a good enough season to show he's the man and we still don't get a playoff berth then you might see Rex get the boot.

If TT gets hurt or has a sophomore slump it's hard to blame the head coach, and it wouldn't be logical to terminate him based on that.

Its all based on qb play, as always.

Rex and TT are on the same boat, they'll sink or swim together.

Now teach the kid how to slide.....

Sounds like this is the most reasonable assessment to me.

It won't be either of these guys. What do you do just pull names out of a hat? I just talked to Tom over Memorial Day Weekend..... He's done coaching, The amount of time spent away from Judy, the kids and grand kids he doesn't think it's fair to the rest of the family. He also said it wouldn't be fair to the new team he would go to. He could offer no more than a few years to a new team. Sounds like he might be interested in a team consultant job. He said though the wife likes me home more, she just doesn't like me home too much.

Sounds like something I'd say to somebody I didn't really trust.... Anyway, I've said similar things many times, and the truth was that I was waiting for the right opportunity, and right situation... I'll tell you something else... If you're an NFL GM in need of a HC, those names are 100% for SURE in your hat... Either that, or you suck at what you do... FYI, It's human nature to deflect topics that are very near and dear to us... -Especially if we don't know, (or care for) the people we're talking to. -Just sayin'.

Then there's this...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/tom-coughlin-wants-back-in-knows-it-may-be-unlikely/

These college guys know they have a sweet gig. They make as much or more than NFL coaches and have more longevity. The Nick Saban's of the world recruit the best kids and remain in these top programs forever.

There are some pretty un-sweet things about the gig, though. NCAA compliance crap, "institutional control," recruiting, much more year-round worry. For some, it's probably a sweeter gig, but I think there's reasons the top coaches in both college and pros are only good in either college or the pros, hardly ever both (with a few exceptions of course).

Edited by jimmy10