No matter what this season will be a success.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Roman? Head coach material?

please do not start this issue too soon. It is inevitable to become a topic even if Bills are a 500 heading into the 3rd week.

answer probably. Pegulas had best hold him close,

There are some pretty un-sweet things about the gig, though. NCAA compliance crap, "institutional control," recruiting, much more year-round worry. For some, it's probably a sweeter gig, but I think there's reasons the top coaches in both college and pros are only good in either college or the pros, hardly ever both (with a few exceptions of course).

Jimmy - that's a good point and well said. These guys are built for one or the other.

To me, the bottom boundary of success would be making the playoffs. More ideally, we would win the Super Bowl.

If the past 16 years is any indicator, our chances of a successful season are very small.

Rex getting fired is not a success. We've fired lots of coaches since Levy retired. Where's that got us?

Sounds like something I'd say to somebody I didn't really trust.... Anyway, I've said similar things many times, and the truth was that I was waiting for the right opportunity, and right situation... I'll tell you something else... If you're an NFL GM in need of a HC, those names are 100% for SURE in your hat... Either that, or you suck at what you do... FYI, It's human nature to deflect topics that are very near and dear to us... -Especially if we don't know, (or care for) the people we're talking to. -Just sayin'.

Then there's this...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/16/tom-coughlin-wants-back-in-knows-it-may-be-unlikely/

Yeah I've known him most my life, he gave my uncle me and my two cousins tickets to the 2014 season finale against the Eagles where we sat with his family and were given press passes in which after the post game press conference he walked right over to greet us before he did anything else. Your right he probably doesn't trust me. ;) For the record I never said he didn't want to coach, his energy, passion, fiery nature, and love for the game are apparent. If I live to be his age I hope I have half his energy. But he is torn and I don't think he will go back to coaching, he would like to but you can tell there is regret for missing his kids childhood and he wants to spend time with them and the grand kids. The second part of what I said he reiterates in the article you posted:

“We’ll see,” he said. “It’ll take two to tango. The 70-year-old-man stuff will be a factor, and I’m sure they’ll know this would be a three- or four-year thing. . . .

You can think what you want but if I was a betting man I bet the farm he ain't coming back to football as a coach. I guess we'll see.

As far as Lovie is concerned he's 2 games over .500 for his career and 3-3 in the playoffs compared to Rex who is 4 games under .500 and 4-2 in the playoffs. There really doesn't seem to be much of a difference does there?

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

i just don't see Rex getting fired if we are a 9 win or better team. What's interesting is last year we had the weakest opponents in the AFCS and NFCE. This year we have the NFCW and AFCN. He was 8-8. If he wins more games this year with this schedule, that would be impressive.

I've always liked Coughlin, but he's getting up there in age. Our next coach really depends on who is the next hot coordinator. BB- I know you love Harbaugh, but he's not leaving Michigan getting paid $8 mil / year.

These college guys know they have a sweet gig. They make as much or more than NFL coaches and have more longevity. The Nick Saban's of the world recruit the best kids and remain in these top programs forever.

I'd pay him 20 and we would get the best HC out there. But if I'm Harbaugh I'm not leaving for nothing. But I can dream, that's all we have right?

I like PJ Fleck from Western Michigan too.

I don't know who will be available, but if Rex is gone, it needs to be a coach that has proven he can take the talent already on the roster and design a winning game plan around that talent. Hiring an inflexible coach like Rex required a major purge of the roster and sent the Bills into another cycle of rebuilding. That is the rinse and repeat that does not succeed.

In today's fast moving, win now NFL environment the secret is to find a coaching staff / management that can successfully find ways to use the square pegs they are given in a game plan that creates the square holes that they can fit in, not to butcher them to shave off the corners and cripple their natural abilities.

That is how you build a win now / adaptable fast moving team. Not hiring an ego maniac who boasts how smart and great he is and wants it done HIS way no matter what the talent he is given will perform best at doing. You need a staff that are adaptable and have a proven history of adapting their game plan to the tools they are given rather than expect to be given new and different tools. FA and the draft should be used to tweak and refine your roster, not to completely rebuild it after yet another major tear-down.

Right on :thumbsup:

please do not start this issue too soon. It is inevitable to become a topic even if Bills are a 500 heading into the 3rd week.

answer probably. Pegulas had best hold him close,

Wish we could of gotten Roman as our HC and Vic Fangio as our DC. Fangio can flat out coach a good defense and be innovative, did some pretty impressive stuff at Stanford and SF, not sure what he did Chicago last year but they will be good if not already.

To me, the bottom boundary of success would be making the playoffs. More ideally, we would win the Super Bowl.

If the past 16 years is any indicator, our chances of a successful season are very small.

Rex getting fired is not a success. We've fired lots of coaches since Levy retired. Where's that got us?

lots of bad coaches

I'd pay him 20 and we would get the best HC out there. But if I'm Harbaugh I'm not leaving for nothing. But I can dream, that's all we have right?I like PJ Fleck from Western Michigan too.

Right on :thumbsup:

Wish we could of gotten Roman as our HC and Vic Fangio as our DC. Fangio can flat out coach a good defense and be innovative, did some pretty impressive stuff at Stanford and SF, not sure what he did Chicago last year but they will be good if not already.

lots of bad coaches

BB- are you trying to tell me I need a stronger pair of cheaters? Just kidding. Dreams are fine.

It is a bit wild speculation at this stage but heck, I'm bored, so I'll give it a go. Candidates if Rex is fired:

- Josh McDaniels (I think he will leave after 2016 unless he really does have a watertight agreement to succeed BB)

- Frank Reich - Harshly fired in San Diego (their offense was not the issue it was just a way to get Whiz back) interviewed last time and if he has success with a rookie QB then who knows?

- Jim Harbaugh - unlikely but I do expect him to be lured back to the NFL at some point

- Harold Goodwin - Cardinals OC is the type who might get Rooney Rule interviews and blow someone away

- Greg Roman - if Tyrod looks good and the offense takes another step forward but is let down by the defense then the Pegulas will be wary of what happened last time when they ripped it up. Making Roman HC, Kromer OC and finding a DC will likely get very serious consideration.

Then obviously whoever the hottest fired name of 2016 is. The Rex experience might but them off this idea... but my dream scenario is the Ravens still not rebounding because they look an old team and they decide to go a new direction and fire the better Harbaugh. If that happened I'd offer John Harbaugh every penny of the Pegula fortune to come to Buffalo.

Edited by GunnerBill