No matter what this season will be a success.

Yeah I've known him most my life, he gave my uncle me and my two cousins tickets to the 2014 season finale against the Eagles where we sat with his family and were given press passes in which after the post game press conference he walked right over to greet us before he did anything else. Your right he probably doesn't trust me. ;) For the record I never said he didn't want to coach, his energy, passion, fiery nature, and love for the game are apparent. If I live to be his age I hope I have half his energy. But he is torn and I don't think he will go back to coaching, he would like to but you can tell there is regret for missing his kids childhood and he wants to spend time with them and the grand kids. The second part of what I said he reiterates in the article you posted:

“We’ll see,” he said. “It’ll take two to tango. The 70-year-old-man stuff will be a factor, and I’m sure they’ll know this would be a three- or four-year thing. . . .

You can think what you want but if I was a betting man I bet the farm he ain't coming back to football as a coach. I guess we'll see.

As far as Lovie is concerned he's 2 games over .500 for his career and 3-3 in the playoffs compared to Rex who is 4 games under .500 and 4-2 in the playoffs. There really doesn't seem to be much of a difference does there?

I honestly think it's cool that you know him... And I totally believe the bit about spending time with his family, and so on... Still, I'm pretty sure that if a HC vacancy opened up here around the time he was canned, he'd be in the running... There is a wealth of information in that guy... I'd have no problem taking three or four years of his championship know-how...

People forget the work Coughlin did with the expansion Jaguars in the 90's... How he made the playoffs four times in a row, and took them to the AFC Championship game after ONE YEAR of existence!... I like Coughlin's style, and believe 100% he would have turned things around at NYG sooner rather than later...

Under Lovie the Bears had teams that underachieved for years... However, as HC, he took them to a superbowl WITHOUT a top 10 QB (By passer rating.) in Rex Grossman.... I honestly felt he was wronged by the Suckaneers, and was headed in the right direction... He's a very dignified guy... Not known for blustery, hot-air filled, post-game pressers...Even without the "Rooney rule" I see no reason why he shouldn't be in the running for ANY HC vacancy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under Lovie the Bears had teams that underachieved for years... However, as HC, he took them to a superbowl WITHOUT a top 10 QB (By passer rating.) in Rex Grossman.... I honestly felt he was wronged by the Suckaneers, and was headed in the right direction... He's a very dignified guy... Not known for blustery, hot-air filled, post-game pressers...Even without the "Rooney rule" I see no reason why he shouldn't be in the running for ANY HC vacancy.

I wanted Lovie when we appointed Marrone. I now accept that was a mistake. None of those Tampa 2 disciples are really having success in the NFL these days.... and Lovie's teams have never quite managed to get out of their own way. Was he treated slightly harshly by the Buccs this time around? Possibly, but after hitting a run in mid season they fell out of play-off contention with 4/5 defeats in a row. Lovie has taken the Head Coach job at Illinois and I think that he would have to excel in that role to get a 3rd crack at being a Head Coach in the NFL.

To me, the bottom boundary of success would be making the playoffs. More ideally, we would win the Super Bowl.

If the past 16 years is any indicator, our chances of a successful season are very small.

Rex getting fired is not a success. We've fired lots of coaches since Levy retired. Where's that got us?

Did you ever think that it was not the fact that we fired a lot of coaches in those 16 years that got us where we are today, but the fact that we have hired a lot of bad coaches in those 16 years. Admitting you made a mistake and moving on is not the problem, it is the fact that we keep making such bad hiring decisions in the first place. Over and over, and over, and over ... and Rex!

It depends on Tyrod. No coach can do much in the post season without a solid, productive qb.

Rex hasn't ever had the franchise qb before, but if Tyrod has a good enough season to show he's the man and we still don't get a playoff berth then you might see Rex get the boot.

If TT gets hurt or has a sophomore slump it's hard to blame the head coach, and it wouldn't be logical to terminate him based on that.

Its all based on qb play, as always.

Rex and TT are on the same boat, they'll sink or swim together.

Now teach the kid how to slide.....

It's easier to blame the HC when the HC is the main reason this QB is here and starting.

Did you ever think that it was not the fact that we fired a lot of coaches in those 16 years that got us where we are today, but the fact that we have hired a lot of bad coaches in those 16 years. Admitting you made a mistake and moving on is not the problem, it is the fact that we keep making such bad hiring decisions in the first place. Over and over, and over, and over ... and Rex!

Valid point. But I also think we're quick to judge a coach a bad hire and that makes coaches reluctant to work for us. If we fired Rex after two years it tells prospective coaches that they have a 2 year leash.

Sometimes I wonder about DJ. I think maybe he was an OC away from being a decent head coach. We had a good DC and ST coach and those units were performing reasonably well. We just needed more talent on the offensive side and a good OC to put that unit together. But, as per usual, instead of fixing what's broke we threw the baby out with the bath water and started over from scratch.

It depends on Tyrod. No coach can do much in the post season without a solid, productive qb.

Rex hasn't ever had the franchise qb before, but if Tyrod has a good enough season to show he's the man and we still don't get a playoff berth then you might see Rex get the boot.

If TT gets hurt or has a sophomore slump it's hard to blame the head coach, and it wouldn't be logical to terminate him based on that.

Agreed.

The Pegula's want to Rex as long as they can, but at the same time want him to show improvement from year to year. Going 8-8 last year sets the standard for how the Rex regime will be graded moving forward.

1. If we fall below .500 this upcoming year, and it's because of the defense, then Rex would most likely get the boot.
  2. If we fall under .500, and it's because of injuries or offense, then Rex may get another chance the following year.
  3. Now if we are in a situation where we make the playoffs at 7-9, then he would be safe as well, but I highly doubt that would happen in our division.

As for replacements if he does get the boot, there are a few on our team as well as a few others I'd like to consider.

1. Greg Roman - He has a great track record, very innovative, and has an ongoing relationship with current roster.
  2. Danny Crossman - Excellent Special Teams coordinator, gets the best out of players, and also has an ongoing relationship with current roster.
  3. Anthony Lynn - Has been an Asst. Head Coach since 2013, RBs under him consistently produce, and also has an ongoing relationship with current roster.
  4. Matt Patricia - Understudy to the ***** up north, defensive guru, winning track record, excellent relationship with players, develops talent effectively, probably knows how to slow down the other ***** up north as well.
  5. Darrell Bevell - Has developed Wilson from read option threat to legitimate passing threat, winning track record, Utilizes RBs effectively (Unless it's on the 3rd and goal with the game on the line), and gets the most out of WRs.
  6. Sean McDermott - Understudy to the great Jim Johnson, effectively develops DL, LBs, and DBs, excellent relationship with players, and progressed defense from one of the worst to top 5.

My favorites from the bunch would be in this order: Roman, McDermott, and Patricia.

GO BILLS!!

Simply because either the Bills make the play-offs or Sexy Rexy is gone. I'm good either way but I have a question, if Rex does get the boot who would be a good replacement?

How is another losing season and hiring a new coach, with a new scheme, requiring new personnel a success? How many more threads on this supposed ultimatum do we need? This is the worst of the bunch.

Based on track record alone though- let's count on Roman to do the QB coaching part.

Rex is an o-fer on grooming quality NFL qbs.

Valid point. But I also think we're quick to judge a coach a bad hire and that makes coaches reluctant to work for us. If we fired Rex after two years it tells prospective coaches that they have a 2 year leash.

Good hiring decisions? Good firing decisions? Coaches since Levy and the winning Bills era.

Wade Phillips

1998–2000

1st coach to succeed Levy. Probably the most successful former head coach post Levy

Gregg Williams 2001–2003

Never again head coach, has been suspended & scandal plagued.

Mike Mularkey

2004–2005

Continued and has been/is head coach. Was not fired. Left after disagreement on teams “direction”

Dick Jauron 2006–2009

Never again a head coach, currently even coaching in NFL?

Perry Fewell 2009

Never again head coach, not even currently coaching after last firing.

Chan Gailey

2010–2012

Never again NFL head coach

Doug Marrone 2013–2014

Left Bills on own accord for greener pastures he thought existed. They didn’t. Never again head coach.

Is it bad to fire head coaches? Only one fired head coach, Phillips in 2000, 16 years ago, has gone on to proven success as a head coach.

Mularkey and Marrone quit on their own, they were not fired. Mularkey has had success. Turnover in coaches has not caused the Bills to fail at success. Firing a bad coach is not a losing strategy. History has shown that firing the coaches they did was not a bad Bills decision, the costly decisions were mostly hiring bad coaches in the first place

Good hiring decisions? Good firing decisions? Coaches since Levy and the winning Bills era.

Wade Phillips

1998–2000

1st coach to succeed Levy. Probably the most successful former head coach post Levy

Gregg Williams 2001–2003

Never again head coach, has been suspended & scandal plagued.

Mike Mularkey

2004–2005

Continued and has been/is head coach. Was not fired. Left after disagreement on teams “direction”

Dick Jauron 2006–2009

Never again a head coach, currently even coaching in NFL?

Perry Fewell 2009

Never again head coach, not even currently coaching after last firing.

Chan Gailey

2010–2012

Never again NFL head coach

Doug Marrone 2013–2014

Left Bills on own accord for greener pastures he thought existed. They didn’t. Never again head coach.

Is it bad to fire head coaches? Only one fired head coach, Phillips in 2000, 16 years ago, has gone on to proven success as a head coach.

Mularkey and Marrone quit on their own, they were not fired. Mularkey has had success. Turnover in coaches has not caused the Bills to fail at success. Firing a bad coach is not a losing strategy. History has shown that firing the coaches they did was not a bad Bills decision, the costly decisions were mostly hiring bad coaches in the first place

Re: Marrone - I think the pastures in Jacksonville are a lot greener than in Buffalo, albeit not in a HC capacity.

I wanted Lovie when we appointed Marrone. I now accept that was a mistake. None of those Tampa 2 disciples are really having success in the NFL these days.... and Lovie's teams have never quite managed to get out of their own way. Was he treated slightly harshly by the Buccs this time around? Possibly, but after hitting a run in mid season they fell out of play-off contention with 4/5 defeats in a row. Lovie has taken the Head Coach job at Illinois and I think that he would have to excel in that role to get a 3rd crack at being a Head Coach in the NFL.

Last season? -Um... Rookie QB?

Out of decency Tampa should have given him another season... I mean the guy JUST started putting that team together... Chip Kelly crashed, burned, and exploded in PHIL ... Yet here he sits with a shiny new team to destroy... Jack del Rio keeps getting gigs at HC as well.... Why? -I have no clue... Neither of those two ever took a (professional) team to a Championship as HC... Lovie's not perfect.... Players have to "buy-in" to his style... Guess we'll see how well you stomach the excuses, bluster, and B.S. from Rex and family this season..