Former Bills to Open High End Steakhouse in Buffalo

High end meaning exclusive so those with money do not need to associate with those without except as servers.

Have you ever heard anyone say: "let's go out for a cheap steak!"

There is no such thing.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former punter Brian Moorman and cornerback Terrence McGee have joined Fred Jackson as partners in SEAR, the steakhouse planned for the Avant, 200 Delaware Ave.

http://buffalo.com/2016/06/08/news/food-drink/bills-players-add-sizzle-to-downtown-steakhouse/?utm_campaign=puma&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1465421339

How did I miss this thread, Steaks I'm in!!!!!!!!! (better be good though, tired of paying for HIGH priced meat that is just ok :angry::angry: )

As a Chicagoan, I almost fell out of my chair when the notion of a city not supporting more than one steakhouse was introduced. We have high end steakhouses inside high end steakhouses. I'm not kidding.

Is Kuma's Corner as good as they show on TV? I love a good burger and Metal and sounds like Heaven to me.

Nah, its open.

Brighton would have Max Steakhouse. Small, clubby, old-school atmosphere. Much better steak than Black and Blue imo. They do prime, whereas Black and Blue does not.

did you mean chophouse? Steakhouse didn't come up in my search in Brighton (there was one in England though)

did you mean chophouse? Steakhouse didn't come up in my search in Brighton (there was one in England though)

Scotch and Sirloin used to serve dry aged. very casual but not cheap. been there for at least 40 years.

Strebs Steakhouse on West Ridge was okay but long gone now.

Have you ever heard anyone say: "let's go out for a cheap steak!"

There is no such thing.

Restaurants like Sizzler sell comparatively cheap steaks.

Texas Roadhouse provides better quality steaks but is still not high end.

Places like Ruth Chris are high end.

Btw, I think someone said the new steakhouse will sell Wagyu beef which is wonderful stuff. But most "Kobe" and "Wagyu" steak sold in the US is fake. It's actually "American Kobe" or something like that and often a lesser quality.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Here's a good article on Kobe and Wagyu beef:

Under Japanese law, Kobe beef can only came from Hyōgo prefecture (of which Kobe is the capital city) of Japan. Kobe cows are fed a special diet of dried pasture forage and grasses such as rice straw with nutrition-rich feed supplements made by blending soybean, corn, barley, wheat bran, and various other ingredients. They are not fed pasture grass.

Kobe Beef, Kobe Meat and Kobe Cattle, are also all trademarks in Japan. The United States does not recognize these trademarks thus promoting free use of the term “Kobe” in the US without regard to Japan’s strict standards. Consequently restaurants and retailers market various types of American or Australian Wagyu beef as “Kobe beef”.

Japanese beef was actually banned from being imported into the United States from 2009 until August of 2012. What we see most of domestically, is American Wagyu or Australian Wagyu (Kobe Style) beef. Legitimate Kobe beef is priced around $200 per portion for a steak, and $50 for a burger. If you see something on a menu referred to as Kobe priced less than that, it is most likely domestic or imported Wagyu.

http://www.burwellscharleston.com/blog/23-kobe-vs-wagyu-beef

Edited by hondo in seattle

Wow, you could feed a crowd with $200 at Ted's or Mighty Taco.

My son was in town last week and we went to a nice place - but not a great steakhouse. He got the elk which I had never tried before. The server described it as a very smooth steak, not gamey at all. That was a good description. I'll try that place again for the elk. Surprisingly good. (But maybe they just got lucky or I was just hungry?)

How did I miss this thread, Steaks I'm in!!!!!!!!! (better be good though, tired of paying for HIGH priced meat that is just ok :angry::angry: )

I've had few steaks out that are as good as what I can make myself at home. The best steakhouse I've been to is St. Elmo's in Indianapolis. Great cuts of beef that are cooked beautifully. I've not been to Black & Blue, but would like to try it sometime. The wife and I used to hit Jo Jo's regularly for drinks and snacking before it closed, but never made it next door.

So here's what I recommend for a perfect medium rare steak. Buy a sous vide set up. I have the Anova immersion device and cook in a cambro that I notched out a hole in the lid for the Anova. I usually make filet mignon or other tenderloin steaks. Thicker is better so I try to get pieces in the 1.5" range. I season, bag and cook for 1 hour at 130F. Meanwhile I get my charcoal grill as hot as it can go with the coals right up against the grate. When the steaks come out I pat them dry and put a little bit of fat (butter) on them and quickly sear them on the open grill. About 1-2 min per side. Keep them moving and flip as needed. The point here is to get a crust, but not cook them any more. The higher the heat the better. No need to rest with the sous vide so plate immediately on pre warmed dishes or serving dish.

You can also use a blazing hot pan instead of a charcoal grill. I do that sometimes, but I'd warn against using a gas grill. Even the infrared things don't work. Gas grills just don't get hot enough so getting a decent crust takes too long and the steaks cook. I tried it once and they came out med/medwell. Never again. If you use a pan don't try to cheat by putting oil or butter in it instead of on the meat. At the high heat needed it'll jump and spatter out. Put it on the meat. And open your windows and turn on your vent full blast. I routinely set off my smoke detectors when I pan sear. You can speed up and dial in the crusting process with a Searzall topped torch, but it isn't necessary. I usually use one for the pan, but not the grill.

I've had few steaks out that are as good as what I can make myself at home. The best steakhouse I've been to is St. Elmo's in Indianapolis. Great cuts of beef that are cooked beautifully. I've not been to Black & Blue, but would like to try it sometime. The wife and I used to hit Jo Jo's regularly for drinks and snacking before it closed, but never made it next door.

So here's what I recommend for a perfect medium rare steak. Buy a sous vide set up. I have the Anova immersion device and cook in a cambro that I notched out a hole in the lid for the Anova. I usually make filet mignon or other tenderloin steaks. Thicker is better so I try to get pieces in the 1.5" range. I season, bag and cook for 1 hour at 130F. Meanwhile I get my charcoal grill as hot as it can go with the coals right up against the grate. When the steaks come out I pat them dry and put a little bit of fat (butter) on them and quickly sear them on the open grill. About 1-2 min per side. Keep them moving and flip as needed. The point here is to get a crust, but not cook them any more. The higher the heat the better. No need to rest with the sous vide so plate immediately on pre warmed dishes or serving dish.

You can also use a blazing hot pan instead of a charcoal grill. I do that sometimes, but I'd warn against using a gas grill. Even the infrared things don't work. Gas grills just don't get hot enough so getting a decent crust takes too long and the steaks cook. I tried it once and they came out med/medwell. Never again. If you use a pan don't try to cheat by putting oil or butter in it instead of on the meat. At the high heat needed it'll jump and spatter out. Put it on the meat. And open your windows and turn on your vent full blast. I routinely set off my smoke detectors when I pan sear. You can speed up and dial in the crusting process with a Searzall topped torch, but it isn't necessary. I usually use one for the pan, but not the grill.

If I'm using sous vide, I do the same, but pre-heat a CI or SS pan in my convection oven at 550 and drop my oiled steak in there once it's ready

If I'm using sous vide, I do the same, but pre-heat a CI or SS pan in my convection oven at 550 and drop my oiled steak in there once it's ready

love the sous vide too - depending on what im doing it with, i go either way on the grill vs CI & stove

Scotch and Sirloin used to serve dry aged. very casual but not cheap. been there for at least 40 years.

Strebs Steakhouse on West Ridge was okay but long gone now.

Tournedos at the Inn on Broadway serves dry age. Bone in ribeye is the way to go.

love the sous vide too - depending on what im doing it with, i go either way on the grill vs CI & stove

I recently got an Anova and have been doing sous vide steak. I seal my steaks with a pat of butter in the bag, cook 1 hour at 123 - 125 and then finish in cast iron. I just wish I could get the sear I want in an apartment without setting off every smoke detector in the building.

Last night I ate sous vide 65 degree eggs for the hell of it. Best kitchen gadget I own.

You guys are way too fussy. Here's my method:

1. remove Steak-umms from freezer.
  2. season with salt.
  3. place in microwave until meat boils
  4. place meat between two slices of Wonder bread and savor the goodness.
Edited by WotAGuy

Wow, you could feed a crowd with $200 at Ted's or Mighty Taco.

My son was in town last week and we went to a nice place - but not a great steakhouse. He got the elk which I had never tried before. The server described it as a very smooth steak, not gamey at all. That was a good description. I'll try that place again for the elk. Surprisingly good. (But maybe they just got lucky or I was just hungry?)

Which place in town (assuming Buffalo) serves elk?

Edited by Koolaid

You guys are way too fussy. Here's my method:

• remove Steak-umms from freezer.
  • season with salt.
  • place in microwave until meat boils
  • place meat between two slices of Wonder bread and savor the goodness.

with or without ketchup?