Former Bills to Open High End Steakhouse in Buffalo

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else think Ruth Chris is meh ? I don't think I love it.

Aberdeen Barn and River Stone Chopshouse in Hampton Roads Va are excellent.

I've had better meals than the ones I've had at Ruth Chris. My first experience was, in fact, "meh." But my last visit was very good. Different location? Different steak? Positive changes in the company? Not sure.

I've had better meals than the ones I've had at Ruth Chris. My first experience was, in fact, "meh." But my last visit was very good. Different location? Different steak? Positive changes in the company? Not sure.

That is how I feel about Mortons. I think that it is way overrated. Mr. John's is my go to in New Orleans for steak.

I did some steaks for my first attempt. Timed it for my wife's arrival back from work. She then informed me she had a massage for a sore neck, and it would be another hour plus. That never would have been "cool news" in the past. Turned out fine, but I should have had the temp lower, closer to 130. Not the fault of the system though. LOVED that flexibility!

Glad to hear the first run went well! If you are a medium rare guy you might want to slide down to 128-129 ish even

I went to the one in Vegas and it was outstanding...

There's a Ruth Chris in Bellevue, WA, not far from where I live. I've been there exactly once in 7 years and that was for a company event. While my meal was fine, it wasn't quite good enough to justify the price.

I tend to prefer ethnic food over steak-and-potato places and locally owned restaurants to national chains.

When I am in a mood for a good steak here in Seattle, I go to Jak's, John Howie's, Daniel's Broiler or El Gaucho.

The best steak I've eaten in Seattle was at El Gaucho. The best anywhere was at Tom Colicchio's at the Mirage in Vegas.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Glad to hear the first run went well! If you are a medium rare guy you might want to slide down to 128-129 ish even

Yes, I'm a medium-rare guy, but my wife likes everything cooked to death. I'll have to make up for that in the cast iron skillet, I guess. Maybe even pop it in the oven, but that's what I was trying to get away from.... (Or, she can just learn to eat a steak the way it was meant to be eaten.)

You are NOT a lemming--I learned about sous vide from a 5-star chef who told me that anyone who loves great food is selling themselves short if they don't have one in their home.

I just got one for father's day, cannot wait to use it for steaks. Did a pork tenderloin the other night (apple maple pork from dino cookbook), it was fantastic - most tender pork that I have ever had.

I just got one for father's day, cannot wait to use it for steaks. Did a pork tenderloin the other night (apple maple pork from dino cookbook), it was fantastic - most tender pork that I have ever had.

the pork tenderloins have been real winners here too - have some folks that arent big pork people that ask me to make it now. especially with tenderloin it can be a fine line between under and over cooked - now i cant miss it.

In Jacksonville, FL, my homestead -though I'm a Road Warrior, we now have 2 Ruth's Christ. 1 downtown and a new 1 at the beach, which I haven't gone to yet. Mrs C#81 and I went to the downtown one on our Anni and were not at all impressed, though we've been there before and loved it. Turns out, the long-established chef at Downtown swung over to open up the beach location.

So, it really does matter who's in the kitchen..

Have a serious carnivore friend coming next week and it's a celebration. Looking for the best steakhouse in Atlanta. I KNOW it's not Ruth's Chris. We've been to Little Alley Steak numerous times. Thinking of Rathbun's Steak, but open for ideas from anyone who has suggestions. (I know some of you are out there!)

In Jacksonville, FL, my homestead -though I'm a Road Warrior, we now have 2 Ruth's Christ. 1 downtown and a new 1 at the beach, which I haven't gone to yet. Mrs C#81 and I went to the downtown one on our Anni and were not at all impressed, though we've been there before and loved it. Turns out, the long-established chef at Downtown swung over to open up the beach location.

Sure does.

Much like an automotive shop.

It's the mechanic not always the name out front.

and once you find one, you need to nurture that relationship.

i have no problem making an extra effort complimenting a chef. or a Mechanic

: )

My favorite steak that I've ever had was at Keen's in Manhattan...14-oz bone-in filet they had on special.

Better than Luger?

that IS the most important thing.