fortune 500 companies in b-lo

boyst

The point of the OP was to ask if there is big corporate money available to spread around town. In short the answer is No. This is not a slam on Buffalo but a simple fact.

Yes but when simple facts are stated many here take it as a slam on Buffalo. Just make a bad comment on the weather and see the reaction

Edited by nucci

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no corporate headquarters here because it would be difficult to get the top level talent to move to Buffalo. I have a lot of friends who are snobby executives from fancy schools and they pretty much all agree that Buffalo is the armpit of America. Almost all of them live in NYC or SoCal or overseas. At my company you can do well locally but the higher level jobs are all in big cities. Fortunately (or unfortunately) for me I'm pretty unambitious and I like it around here

Too much tax handouts for retails gigs like hotels, craft brewers, and restaurants paying poverty wages and creating just more wealth for local developer robber barrens like Paladino, Ciminelli, Sinatra, Montante, and Termini.

I feel bad for the robber barrens because even though they have all that money they won't be able to pass it on to kids.

Driving around Williamsville, there are a ton of absolutely massive homes and neighborhoods being built. Throw this in addition to the ones in Hamburg and OP...

Someone's making money around here.

Around my neighborhood $250,000 - $350,000 houses are on the market no more than a couple weeks before being sold, it's amazing how fast some of them sell. Lot's of new neighborhoods being built as you mentioned. There is money around here, maybe our "armpit" reputation keeps a lot of people out of the area leaving more money for us. Whatever it is, my wife and I are fortunate to have good jobs and love the area. So we're very happy, could be happier if the sports area, but otherwise it's all good...

ironocally, Ingram in Williamsville is much larger than their HQ in Santa Anna Ca.

and as far as luxury suites go, Ingram and their vendors used to had 4 suites at the Ralph a while back. I think they still have at least 2

Around my neighborhood $250,000 - $350,000 houses are on the market no more than a couple weeks before being sold, it's amazing how fast some of them sell. Lot's of new neighborhoods being built as you mentioned. There is money around here, maybe our "armpit" reputation keeps a lot of people out of the area leaving more money for us. Whatever it is, my wife and I are fortunate to have good jobs and love the area. So we're very happy, could be happier if the sports area, but otherwise it's all good...

It's all relative. 250-350k doesn't buy anything in NYC or SoCal. Those are nice homes to you and I but very affordable relatively speaking. My friend's 2 bed condo in CT was $550k and that was cheap according to him. He can't afford to buy in NYC so he has to take the train for an hr each way every day. He makes good money but I couldn't imagine doing that myself. If these people saw how well you could live in Buffalo for cheap they would see it's not so bad after all! But they are all chasing the big job with the big title in the big cities. Seems exhausting

Whole foods blows wegs doors off.. greater revenue, more locations, better market share and penetration and got there much much faster.

Just because WF is bigger, doesn't mean they're better. For the consumer, Wegmans is the one that blows off WF's doors off, and it's not even close.

OK, I got curious. As of 7/15 NYC had the most Fortune 1,000 companies with 72. No shocker. Houston (surprisingly to me) came in second with 49. Atlanta and Chicago were tied with 22, and Dallas had 15. If the source is correct, the rest must be pretty well spread around. I knew there was a lot of money in Houston, but that was not expected.

Seattle has 8: Costco, Microsoft, Amazon, Paccar, Starbucks, Nordstrom, Expediters International, Weyerhauser.

Boeing was started here and still has a huge presence though the corporate HQ was moved to Chicago some years ago.

Eddie Bauer, REI, T-Mobile, Nintendo, msnbc, and - oddly enough - Alaska Air all also call the Seattle metro area home.

Together these companies have a huge, generally positive, influence on the local economy. New construction and new jobs are the consequences of their presence.

And skyrocketing home prices - my town is over-flowing with Microsoft employees who have helped drive up the average home price to 700k.

Just because WF is bigger, doesn't mean they're better. For the consumer, Wegmans is the one that blows off WF's doors off, and it's not even close.

Every business metric there is disagrees, all of which directly results from consumer behavior and sentiment. But I get it- Wegmans is the buffalo bills of the super market world. Whole foods is more like the packers or steelers.

Oh yeah, And homers tend to stick with what they know.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood