Apparently Ryan Didn't Get the Memo!

Ronin

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/06/rex_ryan_not_convinced_hell_be_fired_if_buffalo_bills_dont_make_playoffs_in_2016.html

Ryan was making reference to a January report from the Buffalo News that stated Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula had given Rex Ryan an ultimatum of "make the playoffs or else." Ryan is the latest to say the report wasn't true, but he also doesn't seem to think the premise of an ultimatum makes much sense.

Maybe the memo never existed.

Either that or fans are left playing "Who's the Liar?" again.

So much for the majority of media and fans that know that Whaley & Ryan are gone if we don't make the playoffs.

Also, so much for the senseless notion that Pegula's having given Whaley an extension means the same for him.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is unpopular, but I think it's a really stupid idea to give them an ultimatum at this point. For once, I really want to see the Bills have some continuity from coaching up to the front office. Rex has had success in the past. Doug has definitely brought some talent in. Pegula isn't afraid to spend money. Lets see what these guys can do for a few years, instead of calling for their heads immediately. The fact is, we might get worse before we get better, but its even more unlikely changing coaches/GMs every couple years will bring us success.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/06/rex_ryan_not_convinced_hell_be_fired_if_buffalo_bills_dont_make_playoffs_in_2016.html

So much for the majority of media and fans that know that Whaley & Ryan are gone if we don't make the playoffs.

Also, so much for the senseless notion that Pegula's having given Whaley an extension means the same for him.

We don't "know" anything. We assume. Ditto for the media. Edited by PromoTheRobot

I know this is unpopular, but I think it's a really stupid idea to give them an ultimatum at this point. For once, I really want to see the Bills have some continuity from coaching up to the front office. Rex has had success in the past. Doug has definitely brought some talent in. Pegula isn't afraid to spend money. Lets see what these guys can do for a few years, instead of calling for their heads immediately. The fact is, we might get worse before we get better, but its even more unlikely changing coaches/GMs every couple years will bring us success.

Agreed! Jacksonville is an excellent example of patience from the owner. Cleveland is an example of endless frustration and futility.

Edited by BuffaloMatt

We don't "know" anything. We assume. Ditto for the media.

Exactly.

unless we bottom out at like 3-13 - i wouldn't suggest a full rebuild or to fire the coach after 2 years. We had Chan for 3, and never won more than 6 games.

Correct.

Agreed! Jacksonville is an excellent example of patience from the owner. Cleveland is an example of endless frustration and futility.

Churn, Churn, Churn is no way to build a successful franchise. I think the owners have a longer view than the frustrated fans do.

Rex has 5 straight non-playoff seasons as a NFL HC, which puts him in rare company. Ownership has given their HC and GM every resource to get this team into the post-season, so it'll be interesting if in fact they don't make it. They very well could and this is a moot point.

Just because the Pegula's are loyal doesn't mean they'll go William Clay Ford and allow incompetent types to remain in place. They have to want to win and ought to know when their football management isn't getting it done.

unless we bottom out at like 3-13 - i wouldn't suggest a full rebuild or to fire the coach after 2 years. We had Chan for 3, and never won more than 6 games.

I'd argue that Chan achieved more with less. You have to take into account the team the coach takes over. This was a very good roster who went 9-7 despite a terrible offense. IMO, he was a great landing spot for a head coach. If the Bills go 8-8 or less, I'd let Rex go. It would just further the narrative that he is a much better talker than actual head coach.

Personally, I think Rex's seat is much hotter than Whaley's. Whaley has built a very talented roster. That is what makes last year so much more frustrating.

I think Terry is way too smart to give an ultimatum. In his shoes I'd expect him to simply set expectations that with all the draft investment in defense and the firepower on offense, his expectations are high.

Smart businessmen don't back themselves in a corner or declare a stance/ultimatum when they don't need to.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I think Terry is way too smart to give an ultimatum. In his shoes I'd expect him to simply set expectations that with all the draft investment in defense and the firepower on offense, his expectations are high.

Smart businessmen don't back themselves in a corner or declare a stance/ultimatum when they don't need to.

I do agree with this. But Rex's act gets very tiresome when he isn't winning.

Well, we've seen what Whaley can do. He can turn four 1st-rounders and a 4th into a bust QB, an injury-prone underachieving WR that never lived up to Whaley's promises or even came close to date, with yet another critical injury threatening his performance this season, and a DE that won't even see the field for at least half of his rookie season and will be facing an uphill battle to be even average upon his return.

I've seen enough.

Ryan, LOL, we saw him take a top D and turn it into an average D, and if he does what he did in NY that'll plummet to well below average this season.

Let me ask you, suppose that happens, suppose our D does plummet further, will you still want continuity like that?

Someone's lying, either Pegula and the rumor starters, and if Rex is lying, then he just turned Pegula into a liar.

Not sure how any one of the above options can sit well with fans. Nothin' but lies comin' out of OBD these days.

Also, why do the majority of people then, both media and fans, insist that there's this ultimatum? That was more my point anyway.

Edited by TaskersGhost

No, outright assumptions are not necessary or helpful. But inferences can be made. We can look at what's known and fill in the blanks with reasonable accuracy. So, what do we know?

We know that Rex guaranteed playoffs and a stellar defense to the fans last season, but we also know what a bombastic talker he is. It's reasonable to infer that he made some similar guarantee to the Pegulas. He obviously fell short on both counts.

There are rumors of an ultimatum for Rex and Whaley - playoffs this season or else. I cringe at "ultimatum" here. Rumors often embellish facts so I take that with a grain of salt. Who freaking puts such an ultimatum in a memo anyway? And who gives it to a HC in his second season with the team? It'd really box in an owner, too. This isn't the Pegulas first rodeo either so I don't see such a mistake happening. Owners do have expectations for their organizations, however, and the playoffs for the Bills is certainly a reasonable one. I would be very disappointed in the Pegulas if they hadn't made it clear to Whaley and Rex that the playoffs are the expectation. I'd also be disappointed with them if they put themselves into a position where they would have no choice but to fire Ryan and Whaley if they missed the playoffs.

Why would the Pegulas put themselves in position where they would be forced to fire Rex and Whaley if the team won 9 or 10 games and just missed the playoffs? That's not reasonable and I don't believe it. Are playoffs the expectation? Of course. Is ownership applying pressure to their GM and HC? Very likely in some fashion. Is there an outright ultimatum? Highly doubtful.

Well, we've seen what Whaley can do. He can turn four 1st-rounders and a 4th into a bust QB, an injury-prone underachieving WR that never lived up to Whaley's promises or even came close to date, with yet another critical injury threatening his performance this season, and a DE that won't even see the field for at least half of his rookie season and will be facing an uphill battle to be even average upon his return.

I've seen enough.

Are you sure you don't need glasses?

I do agree with this. But Rex's act gets very tiresome when he isn't winning.

I agree but This is another reason not to give an ultimatum. Say the bills division implodes and the bills go 7-9 with a garbage defense, but because of flukes and crazy injuries across the division the bills squeak into the playoffs only to be ahnialated. Say the same pattern with plays coming late, penalties, and player disgruntlement continues.

The ultimatum in this scenario means Rex keeps his job. Without an ultimatum Pegs reserves the right to fairly make any decision he wants, AND assess the results in any way he wants.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Most of the fans in this thread were playing "who's got sand in their vagina?" again. It was a quick game. Almost as quick as that game of "who hasn't watched much football and is nearly incapable of rational thought?" that we played in the last thread you started.

i'm not convinced he's going to be fired. in fact, i'm far more confident in believing Rex will be back next season barring a 6-10 or worse collapse.

1) there was no ultimatum given, trust me.

2) the Pegulas do not act rashly when it comes to making changes.

the people they've fired fall into two categories:

-- They backed the GM's advice in axing them: Lindy Ruff/Ted Nolan.

-- They felt somewhat betrayed (not going to go into detail on this): Darcy, LaFontaine

3) the Pegulas are fully on board with the framework of a plan that was presented them once Rex came in. Address the offense in 2015. Address the defense in 2016. to change course in 2017 was essentially bring them back to Square 1 yet again.

gut feeling is that Whaley's job security is more on the line than Rex's. the Pegulas do like Doug, and so does Russ. but Whaley might wind up being a sacrificial lamb if things go south again. but i also still lean toward him having one more year beyond this.

jw

i'm not convinced he's going to be fired. in fact, i'm far more confident in believing Rex will be back next season barring a 6-10 or worse collapse.

1) there was no ultimatum given, trust me.

2) the Pegulas do not act rashly when it comes to making changes.

the people they've fired fall into two categories:

-- They backed the GM's advice in axing them: Lindy Ruff/Ted Nolan.

-- They felt somewhat betrayed (not going to go into detail on this): Darcy, LaFontaine

3) the Pegulas are fully on board with the framework of a plan that was presented them once Rex came in. Address the offense in 2015. Address the defense in 2016. to change course in 2017 was essentially bring them back to Square 1 yet again.

gut feeling is that Whaley's job security is more on the line than Rex's. the Pegulas do like Doug, and so does Russ. but Whaley might wind up being a sacrificial lamb if things go south again. but i also still lean toward him having one more year beyond this.

jw

:beer: