Brexit

Brexit  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will Great Britain vote to leave the EU

2. 2. Should Great Britain vote to leave the EU

3. 3. Should the new version of TSW allow animated Hypnotoad Avatars

Cameron letting the next Prime Minister file the article 50 request to leave the EU is another referendum.

Voters can choose a for leave PM or remain

http://www.politico.eu/article/eu-referendum-cameron-brexit-maybe-not-after-all/

I think you misunderstand how the Brits select their Prime Minister. The voters do not pick the PM.

Parliament not enacting the Brexit would be like an American states Electoral College members not casting their vote for the winner of their state. Just cuz, well they know better than the great unwashed masses

I think you misunderstand how the Brits select their Prime Minister. The voters do not pick the PM.

Parliament not enacting the Brexit would be like an American states Electoral College members not casting their vote for the winner of their state. Just cuz, well they know better than the great unwashed masses

If you were an elected official and were anti-abortion, but your discrict was pro-choice, how would you vote when pro-choice legislation arrived at your desk?

Your conscience that got you elected? Against your conscience and following the masses?

Elected officials should do the former and the electorate can vote them out if they don't like it.

If you were an elected official and were anti-abortion, but your discrict was pro-choice, how would you vote when pro-choice legislation arrived at your desk?

Your conscience that got you elected? Against your conscience and following the masses?

Elected officials should do the former and the electorate can vote them out if they don't like it.

In a Representative Democracy, yes. Representatives are elected to vote on issues on the constituents behalf

However a referendum is Direct Democracy. Elected representatives are bypassed and the issue is voted on directly by the voters

interesting that this isn't hitting the news here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/brexit-labour-mps-tell-corbyn-to-resign-in-uk-parliament/news-story/04c19f975315ead12f5d7d10a5e65c31?nk=ef7eb7962e56d6dfc7339f807fccb403-1467071197. parliament is a wreck. liberals in shadow cabinet resign en masse. wouldn't have known had i not gotten a call from the uk tonight. interesting, indeed.

try this instead: http://labour shadow cabinet resignation

Edited by birdog1960

In a Representative Democracy, yes. Representatives are elected to vote on issues on the constituents behalf

However a referendum is Direct Democracy. Elected representatives are bypassed and the issue is voted on directly by the voters

You don't understand the Brexit referendum. It's not binding on the representatives. That's why I asked the question.

You don't understand the Brexit referendum. It's not binding on the representatives. That's why I asked the question.

Right, not a binding referendum. Like if Remain had won, that would not have been endorsed immediately by Parliament as the will of the people :rolleyes:

All those who are upset (referring to Brits, not those of us who've seen our 401k drop) should probably have (a) actually voted and/or (b) looked beyond the slogans and promises. As it turns out the pro-exit gang is now having to admit that just MAYBE they exaggerated on the financial glories of leaving the EU.

Iceland. That's just piling on.

interesting that this isn't hitting the news here: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/brexit-labour-mps-tell-corbyn-to-resign-in-uk-parliament/news-story/04c19f975315ead12f5d7d10a5e65c31?nk=ef7eb7962e56d6dfc7339f807fccb403-1467071197. parliament is a wreck. liberals in shadow cabinet resign en masse. wouldn't have known had i not gotten a call from the uk tonight. interesting, indeed.

Uhm, it was all over the news that informed people read.

Uhm, it was all over the news that informed people read.

umm, google shadow cabinet results in 2 us sources in the 1st 5 pages: huff post 1st and on page 4 politico. i'm guessing you waded through the weeds to the latter. can't see you huffing. so i presume informed people all read one of those 2 sources regularly. by that definition, ill bet there are few informed posters here.

when i posted the bbc link it was about 4 hours old

Edited by birdog1960

Sure, but you can be a fascist without being a Nazi. I was just curious for clarification.

You've obviously missed his white power posts. (No, I'm not kidding although I accused him of being a second hogboy.)

Edited by Observer

umm, google shadow cabinet results in 2 us sources in the 1st 5 pages: huff post 1st and on page 4 politico. i'm guessing you waded through the weeds to the latter. can't see you huffing. so i presume informed people all read one of those 2 sources regularly. by that definition, ill bet there are few informed posters here.

Considering it was in this morning's WSJ and Economist, you should update your news sources to papers that actually matter.

Right, not a binding referendum. Like if Remain had won, that would not have been endorsed immediately by Parliament as the will of the people :rolleyes:

If REMAIN had won, no action would have been needed by Parliament if it wanted to follow the referendum. REMAIN is a vote for no change.

Edited by Observer

All those who are upset (referring to Brits, not those of us who've seen our 401k drop) should probably have (a) actually voted and/or (b) looked beyond the slogans and promises. As it turns out the pro-exit gang is now having to admit that just MAYBE they exaggerated on the financial glories of leaving the EU.

roy-hodgson-england-coach.jpg

Considering it was in this morning's WSJ and Economist, you should update your news sources to papers that actually matter.

the economist is , you know, a british publication, and a fine one. shadow cabinet and wsj gives no recent results but i rarely read it anyway. far too much conservative bias. murdoch's dirty fingerprints all over it.

Edited by birdog1960

It's been all over the news. What planet are you on?

#Brexit2

If you haven't followed the Reykjavik Guardian's twitter account during the Euro...it's hilarious.

It's been all over the news. What planet are you on?

#Brexit2

If you haven't followed the Reykjavik Guardian's twitter account during the Euro...it's hilarious.

England losing to Iceland isn't considered an upset. England are ****.

Oh and just because I feel like posting it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dv20-zXeVY

Edited by meazza

Elitist Rage With the Pro-Brexit Masses Echoes Longstanding British Suspicion of Democracy.

This is as ugly an anti-masses sentiment as I can remember. And the consequences of it are likely to be dire. Ordinary people are effectively being told they’re too dumb for politics. And democracy is being treated as a negotiable commodity that can be cast aside if we the stupid people make the wrong decision. This is a species of tyranny. The mask has slipped. Our normally conscientious elite, feeling bruised and aloof after the referendum, has dispensed with its usual platitudes about “respecting all views,” and shown that beneath the polite veneer there lurks an ancient fury with the least and the dumbest; with the masses; with the people.

Interesting change WaPo made to this headline: "Some thing just shouldn't be decided by [the people => referendum]"

Cl-w9LMWAAEsRT1.jpg

Original hed: http://archive.is/tmnho

Edited by B-Man

Gee, this 'concern' seems familiar to Americans also.

Olive Oil, Tea Kettles, and Toasters: The Untold Brexit Story

The EU’s overly meddlesome regulations helped drive a wedge between itself and the UK

There is no single reason Britons voted to sever ties with the European Union, but for many, decentralized, unelected foreign bureaucrats with bone-headed, meddlesome ideas was all the convincing needed to call it quits.

So ridiculous were some of the EU’s proposed regulations that even the wildest American legislators look somewhat sane by comparison.

Forget migrant assimilation difficulties, terrorism, and financial woes. What and how people ate became a regulatory priority. Sound familiar?

{snip}

The EU has kept new eco-restrictions for high-powered appliances like hair dryers, tea kettles, and toasters close-chested until after the Brexit referendum vote, for fear the new regulations would be perceived as targeting Britain’s favorite breakfast — tea and toast. Doesn’t matter so much now but still, toasters and kettles?

Matthew Holehouse reported for The Telegraph:

The European Commission plans to unveil long-delayed
‘ecodesign’ restrictions
on small household appliances in the autumn. They are expected to ban the most energy-inefficient devices from sale in order to cut carbon emissions.

The plans have been ready for many months, but were shelved for fear of undermining the referendum campaign if they were perceived as an assault on the British staples of tea and toast.

A sales ban on high-powered vacuum cleaners and inefficient electric ovens in 2014 sparked a public outcry in Britain.

EU officials have been instructed to immediately warn their senior managers of any issues in their portfolios that relate to the UK and could boost the Leave campaign were they to become public.

The decision to push ahead with the plans soon after the British vote was revealed by Jean-Claude Juncker, the European Commission president, at the weekly College of Commissioners meeting on April 20.

Internet routers, hand-dryers, mobile phones and patio jet-washers are also being examined by commission experts as candidates for new ecodesign rules.

However, several products may be granted a stay of execution, as officials admitted the plans are a lightning rod for public anger at perceived meddling by Brussels.

Gee, this 'concern' seems familiar to Americans also.

Olive Oil, Tea Kettles, and Toasters: The Untold Brexit Story

The EU’s overly meddlesome regulations helped drive a wedge between itself and the UK

There is no single reason Britons voted to sever ties with the European Union, but for many, decentralized, unelected foreign bureaucrats with bone-headed, meddlesome ideas was all the convincing needed to call it quits.

So ridiculous were some of the EU’s proposed regulations that even the wildest American legislators look somewhat sane by comparison.

Forget migrant assimilation difficulties, terrorism, and financial woes. What and how people ate became a regulatory priority. Sound familiar?

{snip}

The EU has kept new eco-restrictions for high-powered appliances like hair dryers, tea kettles, and toasters close-chested until after the Brexit referendum vote, for fear the new regulations would be perceived as targeting Britain’s favorite breakfast — tea and toast. Doesn’t matter so much now but still, toasters and kettles?

Matthew Holehouse reported for The Telegraph:

The European Commission plans to unveil long-delayed
‘ecodesign’ restrictions
on small household appliances in the autumn. They are expected to ban the most energy-inefficient devices from sale in order to cut carbon emissions.

The plans have been ready for many months, but were shelved for fear of undermining the referendum campaign if they were perceived as an assault on the British staples of tea and toast.

A sales ban on high-powered vacuum cleaners and inefficient electric ovens in 2014 sparked a public outcry in Britain.

EU officials have been instructed to immediately warn their senior managers of any issues in their portfolios that relate to the UK and could boost the Leave campaign were they to become public.

The decision to push ahead with the plans soon after the British vote was revealed by Jean-Claude Juncker, the European Commission president, at the weekly College of Commissioners meeting on April 20.

Internet routers, hand-dryers, mobile phones and patio jet-washers are also being examined by commission experts as candidates for new ecodesign rules.

However, several products may be granted a stay of execution, as officials admitted the plans are a lightning rod for public anger at perceived meddling by Brussels.

I once bought a pair of powered computer speakers that has a "feature" to turn them off after 5 minutes. (Not "after 5 minutes of non-use." After five minutes.) As mandated by the EU. Stupid feature.

Not surprising they'd go after toasters.

the economist is , you know, a british publication, and a fine one. shadow cabinet and wsj gives no recent results but i rarely read it anyway. far too much conservative bias. murdoch's dirty fingerprints all over it.

Such an open and inquiring mind. I simply marvel at your intellect.

And yet the pound is still pounded. Looks like Tyler Durden needs to look at other exchanges.

Anyone who thinks the market is reacting to specific changes rather than just the idea of change is being silly.

The real change in the market will occur when things actually start changing after they invoke article 50, and start brokering new trade deals.

Anyone who thinks the market is reacting to specific changes rather than just the idea of change is being silly.

The real change in the market will occur when things actually start changing after they invoke article 50, and start brokering new trade deals.

no. this is real change. it's the beginning of the end of the uk and the eu. Scotland will very likely leave the uk. businesses are already planning on leaving. there's a true existential threat to much of the financial industry in London. there will very likely be other defections and referendums in other eu countries. it's real. the markets are manipulated and artificial.

no. this is real change. it's the beginning of the end of the uk and the eu. Scotland will very likely leave the uk. businesses are already planning on leaving. there's a true existential threat to much of the financial industry in London. there will very likely be other defections and referendums in other eu countries. it's real. the markets are manipulated and artificial.

What's changed in the past week?

(Here's a hint: not a damned thing.)

So much hypocrisy separated by a mere two sentences.

No wonder you think spleen surgeries are comparable to shoulder surgeries. You're inability to grasp the bigger picture continues to amuse.

A good look at why people wanted out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_Regulation_(EC)_No._2257/94

Just bananas.

When I read crap like that, I genuinely wonder what took everyone so long to jump ship.

Only nutbag far left progressives would be stupid enough to even to think regulation is needed to address the curvature of phucking banana.

Isn't a bit ironic that a significant number of Americans are against the UK's desire to be independent of the EU, especially given that the holiday that celebrates our own independence is less than a week away?