Brexit

Brexit  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will Great Britain vote to leave the EU

2. 2. Should Great Britain vote to leave the EU

3. 3. Should the new version of TSW allow animated Hypnotoad Avatars

I'll give Farage one thing. He hates foreigners enough that he married two of them.

"You can !@#$ off unless you !@#$ me".

Now doesn't that sound familiar? Except our clown doesn't speak with a British accent.

I'm hardly a luddite. I embrace technology.

What I don't embrace is systems that aren't beneficial.

Then you should be well aware that technology is the leading cause of the economic and labor concerns you are railing about.

Then you should be well aware that technology is the leading cause of the economic and labor concerns you are railing about.

If technology was the leading cause as you suggest, then movement of manufacturing to the third world shouldn't be necessary, correct?

Good reading here: http://cepr.net/documents/nafta-20-years-2014-02.pdf

Hooray free trade. Working for no one but corporate boards and stock exchanges.

Aren't labor costs the leading cause of technology?

Neither are the leading cause of all the strife. Pseudo-commies like Hilllary and Obama aren't even the leading cause even though they suck. Trump, his British version, and others aren't the leading cause either even though they might not be the brightest bulbs. This doesn't mean they aren't causes...just not the leading cause.

If technology was the leading cause as you suggest, then movement of manufacturing to the third world shouldn't be necessary, correct?

Good reading here: http://cepr.net/documents/nafta-20-years-2014-02.pdf

Hooray free trade. Working for no one but corporate boards and stock exchanges.

Cool. Will you be sharing more research from a far-left think tank?

Rebuttal 1 . CEPR also claims that Mexico's growth stalled after NAFTA, but are using different dates to state their claim showing doubling of GDP/capita from 1960-1980, which is to be expected when you're rising from near zero. That report is ridiculously biased because it uses percent growth without acknowledging the different baselines on which that growth is based upon. The report also faults NAFTA for still backwards competition laws inside Mexico and the corrupt political rule, which all have been slowly moving to opening the country up for foreign investment.

Mexico has the 3rd highest GDP/capita among LatAm countries (and I don't believe the official numbers that Argentina provides, so Mexico is likely #2). Mexico is also the only LatAm country in the OECD.

But yeah, free trade really sucks for them because a lefty think tank says so.

Aren't labor costs the leading cause of technology?

Chicken or the egg?

Free trade is/was inevitable, it's a matter of adaptation.

Also Joe, "free trade" in itself may not have been good for the American manufacturing laborer, but increases in technology and cheap labor overseas were just as much if not more to blame as "free trade".

You also stated that it was good just for CEO's and the bottom line of these companies. That's not true. The U.S has always been a consumer nation, we consume more goods than anyone, and it's not even close. What "free trade" has done is brought down the cost of goods consumed and for a country like the U.S, that's kind of important.

Cool. Will you be sharing more research from a far-left think tank?

Rebuttal 1 . CEPR also claims that Mexico's growth stalled after NAFTA, but are using different dates to state their claim showing doubling of GDP/capita from 1960-1980, which is to be expected when you're rising from near zero. That report is ridiculously biased because it uses percent growth without acknowledging the different baselines on which that growth is based upon. The report also faults NAFTA for still backwards competition laws inside Mexico and the corrupt political rule, which all have been slowly moving to opening the country up for foreign investment.

Mexico has the 3rd highest GDP/capita among LatAm countries (and I don't believe the official numbers that Argentina provides, so Mexico is likely #2). Mexico is also the only LatAm country in the OECD.

But yeah, free trade really sucks for them because a lefty think tank says so.

Chicken or the egg?

If things are so rosy in Mexico, care to explain the increase in remittances from the US 1995-2005? Why are there still 11-16 million Mexicans living here rather than there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_immigrant_population_of_the_United_States

If things are so rosy in Mexico, care to explain the increase in remittances from the US 1995-2005? Why are there still 11-16 million Mexicans living here rather than there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_immigrant_population_of_the_United_States

How about going to the source data, like the Pew research that Wiki cites?

There are over 11MM illegals in the US, not all of them Mexicans. The proportion of illegals from Mexico has been declining. A growing number of LatAm illegals are from other countries that have bigger economic problems than Mexico.

But I'm sure you knew that.

How about going to the source data, like the Pew research that Wiki cites?

There are over 11MM illegals in the US, not all of them Mexicans. The proportion of illegals from Mexico has been declining. A growing number of LatAm illegals are from other countries that have bigger economic problems than Mexico.

But I'm sure you knew that.

You certainly have a soft spot for all those illegals, don't you?

You'd think there had been a terror attack rather than an act of democracy............... :lol:

Well, they can, but only if they want to turn a warning shot into a debacle:

Britain’s Elites Can’t Ignore the Masses.

John StevensVerified account @johnestevens 8h8 hours ago

EP President Martin Schulz says there will be "consequences" for Britain so other EU countries are not "encouraged to follow that dangerous path"

This encapsulates why they are leaving.

Don't tell birddog.........

"On both sides of the Atlantic, political establishments and the elites have found themselves on the defensive."

As Britain decided its future, striking parallels with U.S. political debates emerged

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as-britain-decides-its-future-striking-parallels-with-us-political-debates-emerge/2016/06/23/8cca4dd2-38e5-11e6-af02-1df55f0c77ff_story.html?postshare=9171466772254424&tid=ss_tw

You certainly have a soft spot for all those illegals, don't you?

No. I have disdain for a stupid immigration policy that's ignored the history of US economic growth and where the labor to support that growth came from. Anyone with a full anti-immigration stance having a German, Irish or Italian lineages are hypocrites.

Chicken or the egg?

A little bit I suppose but that goes back to John Henry or probably even the first guy who made an arrow out of a rock.

Neither is the cause of all the strife though. Both are preceded by the real root cause. Note I said cause, not problem.

Edited by 4merper4mer

No. I have disdain for a stupid immigration policy that's ignored the history of US economic growth and where the labor to support that growth came from. Anyone with a full anti-immigration stance having a German, Irish or Italian lineages are hypocrites.

I'm not anti-immigration. I'm the grandson of an immigrant, one who came here LEGALLY.

One who integrated into the society, learned the language and worked his way up.

People like that should be welcomed. People not like that should be removed.

bull ****. We let 1 million people in legally each year in recent years. That number probably needs to be less based on our ability to employ people and forecasted population growth and the societal costs for that rate of growth. Historically speaking through times a great economic growth, the number of legal immigrants we've accepted has been far lower. As for illegal immigrants, there is no rational argument that supports allowing so many to come here through the back door.

You'd think there had been a terror attack rather than an act of democracy............... :lol:

Well, they can, but only if they want to turn a warning shot into a debacle:

Britain’s Elites Can’t Ignore the Masses.

John StevensVerified account ‏@johnestevens 8h8 hours ago

EP President Martin Schulz says there will be "consequences" for Britain so other EU countries are not "encouraged to follow that dangerous path"

This encapsulates why they are leaving.

Don't tell birddog.........

"On both sides of the Atlantic, political establishments and the elites have found themselves on the defensive."

As Britain decided its future, striking parallels with U.S. political debates emerged

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as-britain-decides-its-future-striking-parallels-with-us-political-debates-emerge/2016/06/23/8cca4dd2-38e5-11e6-af02-1df55f0c77ff_story.html?postshare=9171466772254424&tid=ss_tw

That first article was fantastic. Reading the second now.