Muhammad Ali hospitalized (passes)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like everyone else, he had skeletons in his closet. Sometimes he said retarded **** like white people cause gays and hurricanes, but he was very similar to Malcom X. He reformed his views after converting to Sunni Islam from The Nation of Islam. He had an amazing life story that I don't think the Will Smith biopic did justice to.

RIP, "bad" man.

I remember a reporter recounting what happened after he won the world championship for the first time. He said that Ali was standing by himself on a dock looking out at the water. The journalists did not approach him, but just let him have his moment alone - something the reporter noted would never happen today. After a little while Ali came over to the reporters and simply said, "You have no idea what this means to me."

I flew back to LA from Chicago with him about 15 years ago, back when business travel kept me in first class. He was in pretty rough shape on that trip, and what I remember more than anything was how lovingly his wife took care of him; cutting his food and feeding him, etc. She stayed in my mind long after that trip.

We landed after midnight, and when we were on the ground I got my first glimpse of professional autograph seekers. They hung around LAX baggage claim with alphabetized files on rolling carts filled with photos of pretty much every celebrity, hoping to catch them sneaking back into the city on late flights. Everyone gathered around him, and he graciously signed until someone mentioned Madonna just arrived two terminals down, and I was embarrassed by how quickly they all left him.

RIP, Champ. Fortunately, you fought when people got to enjoy the sport.

RIP real Earth Superman.

Still have Superman vs Muhammad Ali Supersize magazine. Got it signed by Neal Adams (the artist) and Muhammad Ali himself.

250px-SupermanVsMuhammadAli.jpg

In 1979, Denver DE Lyle Alzado boxed against Muhammad Ali

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/in-1979--lyle-alzado-boxed-against-muhammad-ali--seriously-143808020.html

He lost his house on the fight.

RIP Ali. It's a shame the last 30 years of his life were a mere whisper of what they could have been. If someone could only have gone back and stopped the Larry Holmes fiasco.

RIP real Earth Superman.

Still have Superman vs Muhammad Ali Supersize magazine. Got it signed by Neal Adams (the artist) and Muhammad Ali himself.

250px-SupermanVsMuhammadAli.jpg

In 1979, Denver DE Lyle Alzado boxed against Muhammad Ali

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/in-1979--lyle-alzado-boxed-against-muhammad-ali--seriously-143808020.html

He lost his house on the fight.

that was an awesome story, Alzado was the man don't make players like him any more because it's not nice these days (except maybe Richie), never knew he played for the Broncos or Browns, And he didn't die from steroids it was a brain tumor, but hey list pile on the steroids=devil bandwagon.

that was an awesome story, Alzado was the man don't make players like him any more because it's not nice these days (except maybe Richie), never knew he played for the Broncos or Browns, And he didn't die from steroids it was a brain tumor, but hey list pile on the steroids=devil bandwagon.

I don't know why he thought it, but he kept blaming his brain tumor on steroids.