Muhammad Ali hospitalized (passes)

"After several hospitalizations in recent years, boxing legend Muhammad Ali's Phoenix-area hospitalization this week for a respiratory issue has family members particularly concerned, according to one media report.

Despite the Associated Press report citing two anonymous sources suggesting his condition may be more serious than in previous hospital stays, Ali spokesman Bob Gunnell said Friday his condition remained listed as fair and that a brief hospital stay was still expected.

Each time Ali is admitted to the hospital it touches off a "media frenzy," he said. A British newspaper on Friday published a story claiming Ali was in intensive care and that family members had flown to be by his side. Gunnell declined to offer further details of his condition."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/boxing/2016/06/03/alis-hospital-stay-could-pose-serious-issues/85337930/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomsports-topstories

EDIT: "The iconic fighter passed away on Friday after being hospitalized for respiratory issues, according to NBC News. Earlier today, Ali's family gathered by his hospital bedside in Phoenix as reports said the icon was in "grave condition." Ali, who was 74 years old, had been battling Parkinson's disease for nearly 30 years."

http://www.eonline.com/news/770113/muhammad-ali-dead-at-74?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of us alive at the time, who can ever forget Mohammed Ali boxing and Howard Cosell broadcasting his fights. They were like two peas in a pod and made for fantastic entertainment. Still remember the shocking loss to Leon Spinks.

RIP Champ!

I give my regards and condolences to him and his family, but honestly I never liked the guy. I don't like braggadocios,cocky showboaters. And then team him up with Howard Cordell and it was brutal.

He was a very good boxer though. His fights were epic and a lot of them were on regular TV.

As a boxer, I respect the talent and the fact that he could consistently back up everything he said (even if I'm not particularly fond of his antics). Once you look past the bravado, there was an incredible intellect at play. He was as sharp as they come at delivering comebacks.

As a man he had faith, he had principles. He put those before anything else. He used his platform to inspire others and used it to question things he felt were unjust. His demeanour in and out of the ring seemed almost at odds with each other and that makes his life all the more intriguing. He can be proud of everything he accomplished and I'm glad he's no longer suffering.