It's May 24, do you know where your right tackle is?

Rex bewildered about anything regarding Henderson

The right side of the OL is seen by many on this board as the #1 issue with the Bills moving into 2016. There are certainly question marks and chief among them is S. Henderson. He has a disease which may have hurt his play last year, it is the general consensus that he has great, if unrealized, potential and he has been known to have issues off the field which allowed him to last until the 7th round of the draft. Does this sound like someone about which any viable head coach would be utterly clueless? Wouldn't a good coach know at least something that was going on with all of his players and especially ones fitting Henderson's profile? The answer, of course, is yes.

The Bills could trot out Wood, Glenn and Incognito along with two cardboard cutouts of Mick Jagger and the right side would still not be the #1 concern because Rex is a ridiculous buffoon. I understand that he knows the entire roster of Clemson and their favorite TV shows and everything which is great....if he ends up coaching Clemson. I understand that he is personable guy who gets along with many many people and I think he would be great to have as a friend. The thing is a part of his multi million dollar job is managing his players. And yet he has no inkling about anything involving his oft troubled and disease afflicted highest upside player in supposedly the most worrisome spot on the team? Make that the second most worrisome spot, because head coach is number 1 by a looooooooong way.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I mostly agree. Although I do think he was bad enough that someone else should be able to do his job without much of a drop off. And maybe coaches don't need to be in touch with every player who is fighting for a starting job. Maybe Henderson just needs a little time and Rex knows it. Or maybe Rex is just sloppy.

How many players are under contract right now? Something like 90?

There's a reason teams have coordinators, position coaches, and - sometimes - assistant position coaches. Because a Head Coach can't by himself keep track of - and give personal attention to - that many players.

I don't think Rex is the best HC but I don't blame him for not keeping in touch with all his players during the off-season. Other people are paid to do that.

Edited by hondo in seattle

We led the league in rushing last year

Are they really that bad?

The right side of the OL is seen by many on this board as the #1 issue with the Bills moving into 2016. There are certainly question marks and chief among them is S. Henderson. He has a disease which may have hurt his play last year, it is the general consensus that he has great, if unrealized, potential and he has been known to have issues off the field which allowed him to last until the 7th round of the draft. Does this sound like someone about which any viable head coach would be utterly clueless? Wouldn't a good coach know at least something that was going on with all of his players and especially ones fitting Henderson's profile? The answer, of course, is yes.

The Bills could trot out Wood, Glenn and Incognito along with two cardboard cutouts of Mick Jagger and the right side would still not be the #1 concern because Rex is a ridiculous buffoon. I understand that he knows the entire roster of Clemson and their favorite TV shows and everything which is great....if he ends up coaching Clemson. I understand that he is personable guy who gets along with many many people and I think he would be great to have as a friend. The thing is a part of his multi million dollar job is managing his players. And yet he has no inkling about anything involving his oft troubled and disease afflicted highest upside player in supposedly the most worrisome spot on the team? Make that the second most worrisome spot, because head coach is number 1 by a looooooooong way.

I have listened to you B word about that 1st round pick for what seems like an eternity now

Have you given who you would rather have yet?

It's also on Henderson to make himself known if he wants the starting job. Face time with Rex and Roman would help. He's got to want it.

It's the same as any other profession. Moving up takes more than just doing field work...unless you're an elite talent.

Jordan Mills has started in this league and wasn't even that bad last year. He's an above average backup at worst. The left side of our line is as good as any in football. At no point last year, as I watched every snap, did I feel like either side of the offensive line was a major issue. Can the Bills generate a pass rush? Can Tyrod Taylor take another step forward? Can Sammy Watkins stay healthy? These are actual issues. Please everyone, stop trying to create this offensive line issue. There is none. They'll be fine. They have one of the better lines in the whole league. With the possible exception of the Cowboys, no one has five awesome starters on their OL. Every team has a Jordan Mills starting. Just let it go people.

Henderson needs to focus on dealing with the intestinal disease. Football is probably no longer an option for him. Jordan Mills or Cyrus Kouandijo do not inspire optimism. Rookies Lucas and Lumpkins are long shots. Looks like this is still a hole. The rest of the line is capable.

The medical staff briefed the coaches last season. Nothing has changed with Henderson. If you know anyone with this illness, you know it is brutal. Rex not talking to him since season's end does not bother me. I think they already know that he was not going to play this season. Jordan Mills was signed for that reason.

Jordan Mills has started in this league and wasn't even that bad last year. He's an above average backup at worst. The left side of our line is as good as any in football. At no point last year, as I watched every snap, did I feel like either side of the offensive line was a major issue. Can the Bills generate a pass rush? Can Tyrod Taylor take another step forward? Can Sammy Watkins stay healthy? These are actual issues. Please everyone, stop trying to create this offensive line issue. There is none. They'll be fine. They have one of the better lines in the whole league. With the possible exception of the Cowboys, no one has five awesome starters on their OL. Every team has a Jordan Mills starting. Just let it go people.

I do think you are slightly guilty of overrating the line, although I agree that others are probably more guilty of worrying about something that in reality is not a major issue. I think the concern is probably that the two perceived weaker players on the line are both over there on the right which does give a slightly lopsided impression. I think the right side of our line did let us down in pass protection on occasions (the first New England and first Jets games stick out) but it did an adequate job in run blocking and when you add that to the stellar play of Glenn and Incognito (Eagles game apart) and a bounce back year from Wood I struggle to see the line as a major issue on this team. That said, if the right vet RT option was out there as a late cut I would be interested in upgrading Mills.

How many players are under contract right now? Something like 90?

There's a reason teams have coordinators, position coaches, and - sometimes - assistant position coaches. Because a Head Coach can't by himself keep track of - and give personal attention to - that many players.

I don't think Rex is the best HC but I don't blame him for not keeping in touch with all his players during the off-season. Other people are paid to do that.

Is the head coach supposed to talk to coordinators and assistants or is he above that?

As has been pointed out in this thread, there is a lot going on with Henderson. Wouldn't that spur a little curiosity in the HC, even if it was thought the kid can't play? Wouldn't he say to the press: "I spoke with Kromer and he said...." or at least "I'll have to check with Kromer....".

I thought I had read some positive news on Henderson's Cron's prognosis in the off season but maybe I am wrong. Either way, it sounds similar to the way Rex treated Brown while setting him up as a scapegoat/excuse.

It's not that Rex is a bad dude, it is just that he seems incapable of doing more managing more than a couple of things at one time and an NFL head coach needs to handle a lot.

Edited by 4merper4mer

You want us to believe that you know more and are smarter about football than Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley? Forgive me if I don't pick you in that poll.

I do think you are slightly guilty of overrating the line, although I agree that others are probably more guilty of worrying about something that in reality is not a major issue. I think the concern is probably that the two perceived weaker players on the line are both over there on the right which does give a slightly lopsided impression. I think the right side of our line did let us down in pass protection on occasions (the first New England and first Jets games stick out) but it did an adequate job in run blocking and when you add that to the stellar play of Glenn and Incognito (Eagles game apart) and a bounce back year from Wood I struggle to see the line as a major issue on this team. That said, if the right vet RT option was out there as a late cut I would be interested in upgrading Mills.

Everyone always talks about how we didn't address the OL in the draft, etc. In the previous two seasons alone, we took CK, Richardson, Henderson and Miller. Give these guys a minute to develop, would ya? People act as if using a third round pick on a guy automatically means "situation addressed." Most smart people, including the Bills' staff, expect Miller to be better this year. Henderson was pretty good for a rookie in 2014. I think the expectation is that between Henderson and Mills, one of them will work out. And sure, if the right vet is cut, of course you give them a look. But I am not one of these "obtuse optimists." Virtually any way you look at it, the Bills had one of the best OL's in football last year. Yet TBD fallacy #1: The Bills' offensive line always sucks, lives on...

It is not appropriate for a coach to discuss a players medical issues even if he does know all of the details, which he may or may not. Discussing a football related injury is one thing. A personal medical condition is another and should be kept private unless the player chooses to discuss it.

Hey if Rex can take Mark Sanchez to the AFC championship twice then he can be a HC in the NFL. You people did the exact same thing with Belichick in Cleveland and Pete Carol's first romp along with many other coaches.

Hey, if Mark Sanchez can take Rex to the AFC championship twice, then he can be a franchise QB in the NFL. See how that works?