Carucci thinks right side could be worse

There are all kinds of new faces on the Bills' offensive line depth chart, but you'd better get to know them in a hurry.

By the time the season begins, and even sooner than that, most will be elsewhere.

The potential bad news is the Bills' decision to basically ignore the right side of their line, where questions linger at tackle and guard.

Here's the breakdown at offensive line:

Returning: Cordy Glenn, Richie Incognito, Eric Wood, John Miller, Seantrel Henderson, Jordan Mills, Cyrus Kouandjio, Cyril Richardson and Ryan Groy.

Newcomers: Fernando Velasco (FA), Robert Kugler (UDFA, Purdue), Jamison Lalk (UDFA, Iowa State), Marquis Lucas (UDFA, West Virginia) and Keith Lumpkin (UDFA, Rutgers).

Better, worse or the same?: The Bills clearly avoided getting a whole lot worse here by making sure they retained Glenn -- who first received a $13.7-million franchise tag -- and Incognito.

But did they actually get better? No, and they might, in fact, be even slightly worse."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05/21/bills-at-ol/

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see how it might not be better, but he's grasping with the assertion it could be worse. They have the same guys except Velasco replaces Urbik to back up miller. Miller is in 2nd year - would he regress vs progress? Most would think he's developing. I guess it could be worse if Henderson and mills both get hurt but that's true at any position on any team.

I can see how it might not be better, but he's grasping with the assertion it could be worse. They have the same guys except Velasco replaces Urbik to back up miller. Miller is in 2nd year - would he regress vs progress? Most would think he's developing. I guess it could be worse if Henderson and mills both get hurt but that's true at any position on any team.

I think Mills will be better but have no faith in RT. Probably can't be worse considering how bad it was last yr.

I assume opposing defenses will really go after the right side of our o-line this season. Having a mobile QB will help with this, but hopefully they will be adequate in pass protection so that Taylor does not get killed.

There is now more video/info about the Bills offense (schemes, tendencies and players) after the first season with Roman as our offensive coordinator. Opposing defenses will be more prepared and looking to exploit weaknesses on the o-line and in Taylor's game. I expect the first thing they will try to do is shut down the running game. We will see how that goes.

There is now more video/info about the Bills offense (schemes, tendencies and players) after the first season with Roman as our offensive coordinator. Opposing defenses will be more prepared and looking to exploit weaknesses on the o-line and in Taylor's game. I expect the first thing they will try to do is shut down the running game. We will see how that goes.

I really think this is so overblown......NFL defensive coaches do not need a whole year of film and offseason to game plan to stop an opponents running game.....they were trying to do it all last offseason.

Now.....I do think that they will take a look at tendencies (such as not going over the middle with throws until later in the season) and dare Tyrod to exploit that matchup and take away the sidelines.....this is where Tyrod needs to show progression and make a D pay for doing that.

Roman is a fricken genious when it comes to running the ball.....and he has a fine stable of RB's to do it (who can all catch by the way)

I see the right side as being better. Miller is no longer a rookie and will be healthy and Mills will have had a full off-season with the team. Doesn't mean they'll be great, just better than they were.

There are all kinds of new faces on the Bills' offensive line depth chart, but you'd better get to know them in a hurry.

By the time the season begins, and even sooner than that, most will be elsewhere.

The potential bad news is the Bills' decision to basically ignore the right side of their line, where questions linger at tackle and guard.

Here's the breakdown at offensive line:

Returning: Cordy Glenn, Richie Incognito, Eric Wood, John Miller, Seantrel Henderson, Jordan Mills, Cyrus Kouandjio, Cyril Richardson and Ryan Groy.

Newcomers: Fernando Velasco (FA), Robert Kugler (UDFA, Purdue), Jamison Lalk (UDFA, Iowa State), Marquis Lucas (UDFA, West Virginia) and Keith Lumpkin (UDFA, Rutgers).

Better, worse or the same?: The Bills clearly avoided getting a whole lot worse here by making sure they retained Glenn -- who first received a $13.7-million franchise tag -- and Incognito.

But did they actually get better? No, and they might, in fact, be even slightly worse."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05/21/bills-at-ol/

I read the article. I don't understand his argument for why the Bills line might be worse. Before I read it, I thought he was going to make an argument that Wood and Incognito are getting older and might fall off and that Glenn might lose an edge now he got paid, but no, he's all In with the three of them. He acknowledges Henderson was ill and should be back with his condition under control, and that Miller was a rookie (rookies usually are considered to take a step their 2nd year). So that would argue about the same or better? But we're going to be worse?

I mean, we might be worse, I dunno, I just thought there'd be a coherent rationale presented.

Anyway thanks for sharing?

Vic's takes have been odd in this series, such as him also suggesting the QB situation is worse going into this year. I don't know how it could get worse than what the Bills went into training camp with last summer.