Bills Staying in Orchard Park? Buying Up Land Around...

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

simple question.. what do you do with a huge stadium downtown for 42 weeks a year? after the season.

what do you do with any stadium for 42 weeks after the season? Don't all stadiums, regardless of location sit unoccupied most of the year?

That's the thing. It's 10 days a year. Maybe less when preseason is reduced and also the nfl's fetish of international games... Maybe a concert every blue moon. I doubt the stones will come here after 2020.

99.9% of music acts are in venues amphitheater size and smaller. A downtown amphitheater would take all those Darien lake shows and more and place all those people downtown.

A proper modern convention center is needed to attract conventions. An albatross football stadium not so much.

So maybe they can pry the mac championship game from Detroit? That'll be like 10k people.

Maybe a pie in the sky one off event like wrestlemania or final 4. Uncertain to host.

I just don't see how downtown development is advanced by plopping a football stadium in the middle of it. An mlb park I could see with 81 dates.

We also need to think of a year round attraction there similar to the awesome strong museum they have in rochester.

Edited by May Day 10

That's the thing. It's 10 days a year. Maybe less when preseason is reduced and also the nfl's fetish of international games... Maybe a concert every blue moon. I doubt the stones will come here after 2020.

99.9% of music acts are in venues amphitheater size and smaller. A downtown amphitheater would take all those Darien lake shows and more and place all those people downtown.

A proper modern convention center is needed to attract conventions. An albatross football stadium not so much.

So maybe they can pry the mac championship game from Detroit? That'll be like 10k people.

Maybe a pie in the sky one off event like wrestlemania or final 4. Uncertain to host.

I just don't see how downtown development is advanced by plopping a football stadium in the middle of it. An mlb park I could see with 81 dates.

We also need to think of a year round attraction there similar to the awesome strong museum they have in rochester.

Who's to say it cant be both? As long as it is planned correctly. Heck, the Cardinals stadium in Phoenix rolls the entire field outside so they can use the building as a convention center. You dont need to pack 100,000 people in it for it to be a "successful show". How big is the Buffalo Auto show? The Buffalo boat show? Wedding show? Home & Garden show... Move all of those to there.

It's not like they dont design structures that can be adapted for different events. If we're thinking it here, you can guarantee the professionals realize it too.

So if I have this right and can follow the trail, the new stadium should logically replace the projects and Viva El Pegual is buying up land near the current stadium to build the new Sabres arena. I think this is win, win win , win.

Maybe Orchard Park just happens to sit above a large shale deposit. Can't wait for the "Noco Express Mart Stadium Football & Fracking Center@ Ralph Wilson Place".

Artisan gas, from the ground to your tank.

You host Orgyfest every July. Every February too if there is a retractable roof or dome.

While I am a fan of open air stadiums, the Sabres do play in a dome and I don't expect that to change. New build will have a roof.

Last week, a Buffalo Bills Fan Based site reported that the Buffalo Bills have bought land from multiple people around the Ralph. Some of the info was incorrect. I have kept this under wraps as no deal is complete until $$ have been exchanged. My sources have confirmed that this business transaction has taken place. What will become of this land .........

I prefer the downtown idea but if this pisses the League/owners off then I'm all for it.

There's always a million reasons to not do something (classic Buffalo thinking), but you havent mentioned anything that can't be addressed and improved.

Pegula built 2 new ice rinks right next to the one that already exists and he owns, and he has Harborcenter booked with events. For just ice skating! Buffalo/Erie Country/NYS would need to swing a deal where Pegula funds a portion (if not majority, if not all of it) himself. Traffic couldnt be any worse than at RWS where you basically only have 2 ways of getting there.

This would also cover the convention center and amphitheater as well. It needs to be an entire complex. FNC, HarborCenter, CanalSide, New Stadium, waterfront, and public transit. Along with stores and restaurants in the adjacent buildings.

I think you over estimate Pegs wealth, and under estimate his business acumen.

He can't afford to pay for the whole thing. But even if he could, he would be a fool to go it alone.

Curious, do you pay property tax?

Now, are we looking at a new stadium, or is this going to be more of a Harborcenter/Patriot Place type of complex on the campus of the Ralph?

cannot imagine a new stadium ; don't care what Goodell says, I don't see the Bills leaving the Ralph for a very long time... this isn't LA or Dallas, this is freakin WNY for gosh sake

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

I'm thinking Rex just wants both surfaces available to practice on based on that week's game location. IIRC, the field right outside the field house is the same (awful, slippery) turf as the stadium surface. The "old practice field" directly behind the field house was grass, but in very rough shape the last time I worked a Jim Kelly camp, albeit that was during the Jauron era (2010 I think).

There's always a million reasons to not do something (classic Buffalo thinking), but you havent mentioned anything that can't be addressed and improved.

Pegula built 2 new ice rinks right next to the one that already exists and he owns, and he has Harborcenter booked with events. For just ice skating! Buffalo/Erie Country/NYS would need to swing a deal where Pegula funds a portion (if not majority, if not all of it) himself. Traffic couldnt be any worse than at RWS where you basically only have 2 ways of getting there.

This would also cover the convention center and amphitheater as well. It needs to be an entire complex. FNC, HarborCenter, CanalSide, New Stadium, waterfront, and public transit. Along with stores and restaurants in the adjacent buildings.

I never understood when people say this. I have season tickets since 1997 & live in Lancaster. I am home in 15 minutes after the game. Once you get past California your home free. Plus you could get to the stadium a variety of ways. I don't know maybe it is worse getting home to the Southtowns. I park in lot 5 & I am usually home by 4:30-4:45 for a 1pm game. I honestly don't think the traffic is bad & is 10 times better than it would be if they put the stadium downtown.

@john_wawrow

Am told #Bills have purchased some land near the Ralph with plan to expand/add practice field to better suit what Rex wants to do.

The land was purchased about 2 weeks ago, and it appears construction for #Bills expanded practice field set to begin soon.

The new field will be adjacent to #Bills current outdoor one just south of AdPro Fieldhouse.

Minor detail but Johns source is wrong, property closed one week ago that's why the thread Chevy Van Miller was pulled. And Chevy Van Miller should get credit for breaking this story. The practice field I guess will be just a basic field, not what I heard. Either and or just like the new draft room construction, the new practice field is one more improvement at the Ralph complex. Step by step.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of keeping the team where it is in OP.

What happens to all these facilities if they move downtown? Seems like a waste.

Plus, OP= much less chance of a crappy dome

Edited by TheFunPolice