2017 NFL Mock Drafts & Top Prospects

26CornerBlitz

Kizer is my pick for the 'Teddy spot'. Team trades up to 32 with the Saints or NO stick and take QB of the future, make the most of the 5th year option.

Are Kizer's accuracy issues overstated or legitimate? If legitimate, can they be corrected? By all accounts he has solid feet so what could be the cure?

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are Kizer's accuracy issues overstated or legitimate? If legitimate, can they be corrected? By all accounts he has solid feet so what could be the cure?

It depends on what theory you subscribe to. They are definitely legitimate but I think it's more about rhythm than anything else. He was the #1 QB in the FBS last year off play action (https://twitter.com/PFF/status/844526368197165056)

For me, getting him into the West Coast system that requires attention to detail with steps tying into route depths is a smart move. When he gets out of sync, he slows down a little. He does that, he's aware that everything has to accelerate to stay on time and the feet don't always align to the target properly. He forgets correct mechanics choosing to use his body to get more torque on it instead, big reason why his misses are sailing passes.

I think it's a fixable issue (I've worked on similar alignment issues playing cricket as a kid) but it requires him to put the hard yards in. Kizer isn't perfect but I think his ceiling isn't hard to reach with good coaching and that ceiling is Jameis level as a passer.

It depends on what theory you subscribe to. They are definitely legitimate but I think it's more about rhythm than anything else. He was the #1 QB in the FBS last year off play action (https://twitter.com/PFF/status/844526368197165056)

For me, getting him into the West Coast system that requires attention to detail with steps tying into route depths is a smart move. When he gets out of sync, he slows down a little. He does that, he's aware that everything has to accelerate to stay on time and the feet don't always align to the target properly. He forgets correct mechanics choosing to use his body to get more torque on it instead, big reason why his misses are sailing passes.

I think it's a fixable issue (I've worked on similar alignment issues playing cricket as a kid) but it requires him to put the hard yards in. Kizer isn't perfect but I think his ceiling isn't hard to reach with good coaching and that ceiling is Jameis level as a passer.

Is he worth a second round pick? Would he be there in the second round?

Is he worth a second round pick? Would he be there in the second round?

If he makes it to 44, I'd sprint to the podium. Trouble is, I can't see him falling out of the first round (HOU and KC primarily). If he does, like Jeff mentioned earlier, there's a gaggle of teams in the 33-39 range that might pass on a QB early and eye up DeShone at that point.

If NYG or OAK want to offer a trade down that nets a 2018 1st and we pick 23/24, crucially before the Texans, I'd consider him. Although the Dolphins might help the Texans out in that scenario to thwart the drafting a QB to their division rivals. I've thought way too much about this, haven't I? :D

Long story short, I'd support them drafting him. I think he's got every physical and intellectual tool required, just needs a little nurturing.

Edited by Blokestradamus

If he makes it to 44, I'd sprint to the podium. Trouble is, I can't see him falling out of the first round (HOU and KC primarily). If he does, like Jeff mentioned earlier, there's a gaggle of teams in the 33-39 range that might pass on a QB early and eye up DeShone at that point.

If NYG or OAK want to offer a trade down that nets a 2018 1st and we pick 23/24, crucially before the Texans, I'd consider him. Although the Dolphins might help the Texans out in that scenario to thwart the drafting a QB to their division rivals. I've thought way too much about this, haven't I? :D

Long story short, I'd support them drafting him. I think he's got every physical and intellectual tool required, just needs a little nurturing.

Terrific analysis and post. You and a few other draftniks here are illuminating. You sparkle! :thumbsup:

Creative and imaginative organizations find a way to get a necessary deal done. Dullard and sluggish organizations don't. This is a situation where a medium trade down would be a wise strategy to take. Working the board smartly and calculating risks takes a talent that this organization hasn't too often exhibited.

Terrific analysis and post. You and a few other draftniks here are illuminating. You sparkle! :thumbsup:

Creative and imaginative organizations find a way to get a necessary deal done. Dullard and sluggish organizations don't. This is a situation where a medium trade down would be a wise strategy to take. Working the board smartly and calculating risks takes a talent that this organization hasn't too often exhibited.

Alas, we are dullard and sluggish most of the time.

When the owner of the team can't say who has final call in the draft room you know your team is in deep trouble.

Blokes doesn't like doing mock drafts but, with just a few days to go, I thought I'd give it a crack. There's a trade back that I think is accurate (at least according to this - http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=TB). I know that I missed a couple of key positions but I tried to keep it realistic.

The Buffalo Bills are on the clock:

"There's been a trade! The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are enamoured with Washington WR John Ross and have traded up for him." Bucs get the 10th overall pick (1300 points), the Bills get the 19th (875), 50th (400) & 125th (47) picks.

#19 - Michigan State DT Malik McDowell

Sean McDermott's defense is built on pressure and no interior lineman is better suited for pressure than McDowell. As a rookie, McDowell can play sub package 3-tech and can rotate on the edge primarily on run downs to get him some exposure. The heir to Kyle Williams hath arrived (Adolphus can go !@#$ himself) :)

#44 - Clemson cornerback Cordrea Tankersley

The Bills need secondary help and they get it in Tankersley. Tankersley is the prototype "Seahawky" CB at 6'1", 200 pounds with length and vertical speed. He'll provide an upgrade in run defense and has the natural ball skills when he can locate the football early enough to make a play.

#50 - Penn State receiver Chris Godwin

The Bills offense needs a more viable outside threat than Andre Holmes and Godwin's the man to do it. Godwin's biggest selling point is his route running, creating easy separation at the intermediate level through a combination of agility and savvy. Godwin is reliable in contested catch situations and will continue to be the asset that Robert Woods was in the run game.

#75 - Troy offensive tackle Antonio Garcia

Finding a solution to the right tackle problem is a must at some point for the Bills, especially with Eric Wood and Richie Incognito both potentially on their last year in Buffalo in 2017. Garcia represents the right mix of talent, need and value in this class. Weight concerns diminish his value but the talent exists. Garcia will need time to add some weight & functional strength but his physical profile is a good fit for the Bills' zone run scheme. Compares athletically to former Juan Castillo project Ricky Wagner.

#125 - Wisconsin linebacker Vince Biegel

Biegel's true fit might be in a 3-4 scheme but his athletic traits and experience with coverage drops make him a long-term candidate for the SLB spot. His instincts for the run are well suited to SLB. Biegel can play special teams early and has a great potential mentor in Lorenzo Alexander to guide his transition to an off-ball role. Also has the chance to see some pass rush opportunities in certain down/distance packages.

#156 - Colorado free safety Tedric Thompson

The combination of some average testing in a great class and some concerns about his tackling and run support have kept Thompson's stock low but we don't care about that, do we? Behind Malik Hooker, I believe Tedric is the most natural ball-hawking free safety in the 2017 class. His play speed is better than his timed speed and his instincts and aggressive intent in coverage really set him apart. Could be a day 1 starter at FS and would be a huge steal (2nd round grade for me).

#163 (from Mike Gillislee offer sheet) - Georgia wide receiver Isaiah McKenzie

Doug Whaley likes his gadget players, it seems. He's signed Percy Harvin twice and brought in Reggie Bush so he obviously values high variance potential for big plays. In the tiny Isaiah McKenzie, he gets it. McKenzie isn't really much of a receiver at this point but his 6.64 3-cone time shows that there's potential to work with from that standpoint. Where McKenzie makes the roster is his special teams prowess and sheer versatility; having scored 4 times as a runner, 7 as a receiver, once as a kick returner and 5 times as a punt returner.

#171 - Utah running back Joe Williams

With "Touchdown Mike" joining the Sith overlords in Boston, a hole has opened up in the backfield. Joe Williams is a fantastic scheme fit for the Dennison offense with great vision, burst and long speed. With LeSean McCoy getting older and likely to feel the effects of wear and tear over a season, Williams is a closer like-for-like back than Jonathan Williams. The only concern with Williams is his mid-season retirement as a senior, which resulted from a drop in confidence after successive games with costly fumbles.

#195 - Boston College linebacker Matt Milano

At this point in the draft, you either accept that you're only getting role players or you swing at what's likely a moron with more talent than common sense. In Matt Milano, we take the former. The do-it-all Milano can make a fairly weak LB group as a rookie due to his penchant for making plays on special teams. As the draft has shaken out, he may have a chance to openly compete for time at WLB with Ramon Humber.

nice to trade back but, meh on the picks

Does this make him a 'system quarterback' ? I worry about what happens if the Bills change coaches as it limits either his future or the freedom to choose future coaches.

Also, does he look like a kid who has demonstrated a good work ethic ?

When the owner of the team can't say who has final call in the draft room you know your team is in deep trouble.

Way over-blown, in my opinion...

i DON'T want to work in an organization where there is a stick hiercharchy.

I WANT a collaboration between the scouting department and the coaches. I don't understand the obsession to find a "hierarchy". Not many organizations that are successful,have a dictatorial/hierchical organization structure.

He's the likely expendable one if they want to add another QB. Nominal amount of dead money on his deal.

From my mock draft, I'll add one at 19 and drop McDowell if you let me pick Kizer ;)

As far as I can see after watching a few full games, I think Kizer is one of the top 2-3 QBs in this draft.

I would be fine with Kizer at 10 or Kizer in a trade-down.

None of these QBs are perfect. EVERY one of them has a wart or two.

I watched a couple of full-game 2015 videos of Kizer and I can see him as #1-#4 QBs.

In my non-scout opinion, I think that all of the QBs have some major questions. I could get on-board with any of the top 5ish QB prospects. If you are going to force a QB pick in round 1, i'd be inclined to *reach* for Kizor....

I WANT a collaboration between the scouting department and the coaches. I don't understand the obsession to find a "hierarchy". Not many organizations that are successful,have a dictatorial/hierchical organization structure.

I'll take Bill Belichick making the final call over the Bills and their group drafts. One wins Superbowls while the Bills are almost 20 years with no playoff appearances.

Tell that to the Patriots.

Blokes doesn't like doing mock drafts but, with just a few days to go, I thought I'd give it a crack. There's a trade back that I think is accurate (at least according to this - http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=TB). I know that I missed a couple of key positions but I tried to keep it realistic.

The Buffalo Bills are on the clock:

"There's been a trade! The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are enamoured with Washington WR John Ross and have traded up for him." Bucs get the 10th overall pick (1300 points), the Bills get the 19th (875), 50th (400) & 125th (47) picks.

#19 - Michigan State DT Malik McDowell

Sean McDermott's defense is built on pressure and no interior lineman is better suited for pressure than McDowell. As a rookie, McDowell can play sub package 3-tech and can rotate on the edge primarily on run downs to get him some exposure. The heir to Kyle Williams hath arrived (Adolphus can go !@#$ himself) :)

#44 - Clemson cornerback Cordrea Tankersley

The Bills need secondary help and they get it in Tankersley. Tankersley is the prototype "Seahawky" CB at 6'1", 200 pounds with length and vertical speed. He'll provide an upgrade in run defense and has the natural ball skills when he can locate the football early enough to make a play.

#50 - Penn State receiver Chris Godwin

The Bills offense needs a more viable outside threat than Andre Holmes and Godwin's the man to do it. Godwin's biggest selling point is his route running, creating easy separation at the intermediate level through a combination of agility and savvy. Godwin is reliable in contested catch situations and will continue to be the asset that Robert Woods was in the run game.

#75 - Troy offensive tackle Antonio Garcia

Finding a solution to the right tackle problem is a must at some point for the Bills, especially with Eric Wood and Richie Incognito both potentially on their last year in Buffalo in 2017. Garcia represents the right mix of talent, need and value in this class. Weight concerns diminish his value but the talent exists. Garcia will need time to add some weight & functional strength but his physical profile is a good fit for the Bills' zone run scheme. Compares athletically to former Juan Castillo project Ricky Wagner.

#125 - Wisconsin linebacker Vince Biegel

Biegel's true fit might be in a 3-4 scheme but his athletic traits and experience with coverage drops make him a long-term candidate for the SLB spot. His instincts for the run are well suited to SLB. Biegel can play special teams early and has a great potential mentor in Lorenzo Alexander to guide his transition to an off-ball role. Also has the chance to see some pass rush opportunities in certain down/distance packages.

#156 - Colorado free safety Tedric Thompson

The combination of some average testing in a great class and some concerns about his tackling and run support have kept Thompson's stock low but we don't care about that, do we? Behind Malik Hooker, I believe Tedric is the most natural ball-hawking free safety in the 2017 class. His play speed is better than his timed speed and his instincts and aggressive intent in coverage really set him apart. Could be a day 1 starter at FS and would be a huge steal (2nd round grade for me).

#163 (from Mike Gillislee offer sheet) - Georgia wide receiver Isaiah McKenzie

Doug Whaley likes his gadget players, it seems. He's signed Percy Harvin twice and brought in Reggie Bush so he obviously values high variance potential for big plays. In the tiny Isaiah McKenzie, he gets it. McKenzie isn't really much of a receiver at this point but his 6.64 3-cone time shows that there's potential to work with from that standpoint. Where McKenzie makes the roster is his special teams prowess and sheer versatility; having scored 4 times as a runner, 7 as a receiver, once as a kick returner and 5 times as a punt returner.

#171 - Utah running back Joe Williams

With "Touchdown Mike" joining the Sith overlords in Boston, a hole has opened up in the backfield. Joe Williams is a fantastic scheme fit for the Dennison offense with great vision, burst and long speed. With LeSean McCoy getting older and likely to feel the effects of wear and tear over a season, Williams is a closer like-for-like back than Jonathan Williams. The only concern with Williams is his mid-season retirement as a senior, which resulted from a drop in confidence after successive games with costly fumbles.

#195 - Boston College linebacker Matt Milano

At this point in the draft, you either accept that you're only getting role players or you swing at what's likely a moron with more talent than common sense. In Matt Milano, we take the former. The do-it-all Milano can make a fairly weak LB group as a rookie due to his penchant for making plays on special teams. As the draft has shaken out, he may have a chance to openly compete for time at WLB with Ramon Humber.

Blokes, why would TB want John Ross with Desean Jackson on team?

So if the information that was posted a few days ago listing the top 5 players on the Bills board is accurate, I'd be pissed if I was the Bills. How is this information being leaked? Can't believe Pegula, Brandon & Whaley are happy about this.

Don't think for a minute that someone in the FO doesn't monitor this message board and aware of what privileged info is being shared.

Edited by LabattBlue

POsted this in the Sal M thread, but:

From Albert Breer at MMQB:

4. I know one team that has 35 corners with draftable grades. That is an insane number—this particular team has 15-20 draftable CBs in an average year. One secondary coach told me he thinks some fourth- and fifth-rounders will start for NFL teams in the fall.

5. A lot has been made over QB Mitchell Trubisky only starting 13 games at North Carolina. One explanation his coaches have given to NFL teams scouting Trubisky: 2014-15 starter Marquise Williams hails from fertile recruiting ground, so benching him would have consequences.

6. I’d bet Trubisky, Deshaun Watson and Pat Mahomes are the three quarterbacks to go in the first round. What’s weird: There’s more consensus that Watson can play, but seemingly fewer teams that have fallen for him than for the other two.

7. As for when they start coming off the board, it appears the belief out there continues to be that Buffalo at 10 is the team that you have to leapfrog if you want to trade up for a quarterback.

http://mmqb.si.com/m...impact-notebook

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.