Bears release Matt Slauson -Signed w/ San Diego

JM57

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would they look at Slauson for RT? He's played his entire career at G and some C. Square peg, round hole?

His entire pro career. He played tackle in college. Rex and Kromer both have history with him, so they should have an idea what he is capable of.

I think the Bills ultimately keep Velasco, or Slauson, but not both. They only paid Velasco an $80k signing bonus, and he has an $885k salary as a 7-9 yr vet.

Slauson is younger and would seem to be an upgrade. If they can sign him for a reasonable deal, I think the Bills actually could keep both through training camp, to be sure Slauson wasn't released for performance/undocumented or underdocumented medical reasons a la Chris Williams.

Slauson's salary with the Bears for this season was to be $2.75M.

There's a bunch of media stuff in Chi town puzzled about the Slauson release.

Why would they look at Slauson for RT? He's played his entire career at G and some C. Square peg, round hole?

my thoughts. i like bringing him in at guard and letting miller play backup. if we can strengthen that interior we can give help to the rt.

I think Slauson is a great catch-all lineman if they can get him signed.

He's primarily a guard, but he's got experience at center (last year) and tackle in college.

He'd give the team a lot of gameday flexibility, starting with the fact that he can be the 6th OL in jumbo sets. He also serves as insurance if you lose 2 starters in the same game. Lose two guards? Slauson and Velasco go in...lose 2 OTs, Slauson goes in at tackle and Richie kicks outside. Lose a tackle and a guard, Slauson goes in at tackle and Velasco goes in at guard.

He's primarily a guard, but he's got experience at center (last year) and tackle in college.

He'd give the team a lot of gameday flexibility, starting with the fact that he can be the 6th OL in jumbo sets. He also serves as insurance if you lose 2 starters in the same game. Lose two guards? Slauson and Velasco go in...lose 2 OTs, Slauson goes in at tackle and Richie kicks outside. Lose a tackle and a guard, Slauson goes in at tackle and Velasco goes in at guard.

i always have a bit of concern about kicking a 30 year old guard out to tackle.... but im not the expert and i do think kromer and roman are two of the best in the business.

What I was getting at was that they might say he will be RT to start but they will be quick to move him to G. I'm not high on Miller. Slauson would be a huge upgrade but I can understand they want to give Miller a chance to see if he's progressed

i always have a bit of concern about kicking a 30 year old guard out to tackle.... but im not the expert and i do think kromer and roman are two of the best in the business.

Agreed--the only guy I really remember having success in doing so is Damien Woody--who, coincidentally, did it at age 30 and ended up an all-pro. I really can't think of another that's done so recently.

Slauson was cut, so I don't think he would count in that calculation

True, cuts don't count. But what I was referring to is a quote from Chris Brown on the April 30th, John Murphy show: beginning at 8:48, he and Murph talk about "signing FA 'outside' of the signing window" which apparently is something that Baltimore and other teams are very adept at. Brown says that Whales will attempt to use that by being patient and getting fill-in unsigned FA players that won't count against getting compensatory picks. I was not aware there was such an opportunity to add players and effectively shelter whatever compensatory picks you'll get for next year. But it requires patience.

Sounds like the FO is getting smarter. :thumbsup:.

Edited by Nanker

@JoeBuscaglia

Matt Slauson will visit the #Bills. Who does that spell trouble for? Not who you'd expect. Full thoughts on the fit: https://t.co/139CNCcwLI

(WKBW) - Through all seven rounds of the 2016 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills didn't use a selection on an offensive lineman in any capacity. After having struggled mightily on the right side of the offensive line in 2015, the Bills instead tried to find defensive playmakers through the first three rounds of the draft.

Now that the dust of the draft has settled, a new name in free agency has appeared: Matt Slauson. According to Adam Caplan of ESPN, Slauson will make two free agent visits -- one with the San Diego Chargers, and one with the Buffalo Bills.

Slauson, 30, is a seven-year veteran of the NFL, having started on the interior during stops with the New York Jets and Chicago Bears. Making most of his starts and appearances at guard, Slauson has started 85 games over his seven seasons in the league.

The Bills coaching staff is familiar with Slauson as well. He played as a member of Rex Ryan's team in New York for four seasons, and then when he went to Chicago, he worked with current Bills offensive line coach Aaron Kromer.

F5 and hoping we're not just leverage to get him a better deal in San Diego. One would hope his familiarity with Rex and Kromer tilts this in our favor.

Kromer is one factor working in our favor, the other is that we don't have Orlando Franklin, DJ Fluker, and Joe Barksdale entrenched at starting positions like they do.

If Slauson wants a chance to start, we're a much better fit.

Can we get rid of Dray, and get back a roster spot?

F5 and hoping we're not just leverage to get him a better deal in San Diego. One would hope his familiarity with Rex and Kromer tilts this in our favor.

how much leverage can he really have?

Anyone know if we are the first or second visit? Seen conflicting reports. I generally feel better about our prospects regardless now. Before if we were the first, I'd assume leverage. Now I think we can hook him before the other team has a shot. And if we're the second stop, I- for the first time in forever- think that SD could be the team he's leveraging. Land em' Dougie

True, cuts don't count. But what I was referring to is a quote from Chris Brown on the April 30th, John Murphy show: beginning at 8:48, he and Murph talk about "signing FA 'outside' of the signing window" which apparently is something that Baltimore and other teams are very adept at. Brown says that Whales will attempt to use that by being patient and getting fill-in unsigned FA players that won't count against getting compensatory picks. I was not aware there was such an opportunity to add players and effectively shelter whatever compensatory picks you'll get for next year. But it requires patience.

Sounds like the FO is getting smarter. :thumbsup.

I noticed this too from that interview and thought it was quite clever. Good stuff.