Bills Plan to improve the offense “The power of prayer"

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And opponents adapt to what you're doing. It won't be as easy for Roman to do the same thing in 2016 that he did in 2015 because there's a full season on film that opposing teams have on Buffalo now. That offense was designed to be safe, and limit teams from keying in on TT. But what happens when defenses put 8 in the box to stop the run and dare TT to make throws?

My biggest issue with this team is that they're building the roster to win, only circa 1995. Investing so much in defense the result of frequently changing schemes and building an offense to run is not how to win in 2016.

Teams had 8 in the box against us most of last season,it wasn't like Roman was some new NFL coordinator who had just come out of college. There is tape out there on him. In the second half of the season Tyrod just kept throwing it over them to Sammy.

Defense and running game doesn't win in the modern NFL might the most overquoted tosh on this board.... Denver, Seattle, Carolina, Kansas City... these teams seem to keep making the play-offs running the ball and playing defense. Does their QB make plays too? Sure (other than in Denver's case last year). But we have a QB who can make plays too.

I don't care if it is 2016... unless you have Tom Brady or Peyton Manning before he hit the wall you have to be able to run the ball and play some defense. Indeed New England's only Superbowl in 10 years came when they spent FA $$s on defense!

I'm still wondering why Tyrod's, Shady's, Karlos's, and Mike's rushing yards don't count.

Duh! Cos they inflate the stats! Take those 4 out and then where would our running game be??? Edited by GunnerBill

A position of need maybe? So you are advocating drafting for need?

to a point, if there isn't a huge difference between grades on players it's better to get the need player than get a guy who is going to sit on the bench a lot because the guys on the roster are better.

Images, I got. Tables, I will confess, I must also be too simple to know how to use them.

I really feel PFF's OL statistics have to be taken with a grain of salt. The fact is, we were the top rushing team in the NFL, and if you take out all the QB rushing yards (not just TT's, every teams), we were still in the top 10, maybe top 5. TT was taking a freakin' long time to throw. You don't get there with a total tire fire at OL.

The OP says "Yet this off-season Bills management has done nothing significant via FA or the draft to address the right side of the OL." The devil is always in the weasel words like "nothing significant".

Yes, they let Urbik go in what was very likely a cap move. They signed C-G Fernando Velasco from the Panthers, presumably because they think he may be an upgrade to Urbik. They resigned Jordan Mills - I thought he had a good rookie year at OT for the Bears under Aaron Kromer before breaking his foot and requiring surgery. Not so good in 2014, bounced around in 2015 before the Bills signed him. Did the foot require a full year to recover and the Bills have hopes he'll return to form?

Then there are the UDFA linemen the Bills signed: Marquis Lucas (G), Jamison Lalk (G-C), Keith Lumpkin (T), Robert Kugler © - so far

In 2014, when the Bills drafted 3 OL, 2 LB, and a DB, their UDFA signings included 2 LB, 3 DB, and 2 DLmen - nothing on the offensive side of the line.

In 2015, when the Bills drafted a CB, a late LB, and otherwise all O (G, RB, TE, WR), their UDFA included 2 OT as well as several more DB

It seems pretty clear that the Bills try, year by year, to balance the draft by taking a shot on positions they didn't draft from the UDFA pool.

My point is it can be weasel-worded whether or not the FA and UDFA signings on OL are "significant" or not, but it seems pretty clear that the Bills didn't sign 2 vet and 4 rookie FA because they're relying upon "the power of prayer" to improve the OL. Rather, with major holes on D and the D being the team's weakness and with salary cap tight, they're doing the best they can to find gems where they can, in 2nd tier FA and undrafted players.

Moreover, when one places something in quotes, it implies that it's something someone has said, around here, either someone from the Bills organization or news media, which is clearly from the OP's article not the case - shoddy.

The fact is the 2015 Buffalo Bills were the #1 team in rushing yards and #2 in rushing attempts. The Bills were also #1 in scoring rushing TD's and they averaged 4.8 yards per rush. While those rushing stats were great...we must also realize that because the Bills QB ran 104 attempts for 568 yards that it pads those overall rushing stats somewhat. The Bills were also 28th in passing yards and 31st in passing attempts.

The 2015 Buffalo Bills were also 31st in 3 downs and out percentage at 186 drives with 53 going 3 and out! When you think about dominant running teams you would tend to think they control the line of scrimmage and clock and that really wasn't the case at all with the Bills last year. The simple fact is the right side of the line play was pretty bad and the left side basically carried the team. Miller was decent at run blocking and lousy at pass blocking and vice versa for Urbik. The RT play was pretty bad from everyone all season.

What a lot of fans seem to forget is that in 2014 the Buffalo Bills fielded one of the very worst offensive lines in the league for most of the season and in my view is the biggest reason as to why the team lost to the Raiders in week 16 while attempting to gain a playoff berth. The Bills run game had only 13 rushes for 13 yards and every time Spiller touched the ball he was getting tackled five yards behind the line of scrimmage. The line also had great difficulty in protecting Kyle Orton all game.

Doug Whaley's answer to the weakest and neediest area of the team in the 2015 draft was to select an OG in the third round. If it wasn't for Rex Ryan vouching for OG Richie Incognito the line would have been another horrid mess in 2015. Then to Incognito's credit, he played some of his best football with the Bills last season and really anchored that left side. His play upgraded both Woods and Glenn's play without question. The right side of the Bills line will still be a mess in 2016 and it should have been addressed in this year's draft or free agency.

Because of cap hell, the Bills were limited in free agency and went full bore into helping Rex Ryan build the defense he wants in this year's draft. Still, the Bills did re-sign Richie and tagged Glenn. I can only imagine that Doug Whaley didn't want Ryan to have that same excuse that he used after he was fired by the NY Jets. The Bills did go 'all in" to get Rex Ryan the players he needed to build his defense and now let's see if it works.

The bottom line is I feel the OPs pain and think this team has almost no quality depth for the O-line and the right side is still a huge question mark. I have no idea what this team will do if there is a serious injury to one of the left side of line players or if opposing teams start focusing on stacking the box to stop the Bills run game and thus forcing them to throw more than they want.

Think what you will, but I can tell you that last season when the Bills were forced into throwing more than running they lost every game and Taylor didn't fare very well in those games.

Edited by Nihilarian

I know we have had this conversation before and you distrust PFF's rating. Football Outsiders overall rating of the OL was 23rd. I had tried to include their ratings in a self made tables as, they broke it down by left and right in run, pass and more. But could not find a way to share the tables.

The point to me is that the left side of the line was outstanding trying to make up for the horrible right side. It made the overall Bills OL ratings higher. Imagine if the right side could just be "standard" instead of a lead sinker.

A different point is that perhaps there is reason to be skeptical of any rating system that rates our line 23rd, when we were 12th on points for and 13th on yards, 1st in rushing?

Doesn't that raise a flag that perhaps their rating system is biased in a way that doesn't correlate to offensive productivity?

OP....too much text. I assume--without reading--you are saying the right side was weak and we didn't take any OL to fill it. With that assumption, I agree.

Good post. Kind of.

Edited by dayman

Please don't try to be a member of the grammar police. You may get arrested for "impersonating an officer". Quotes are used in the English language to attribute something written not unique to the writer. Also "Punctuation is used to create sense, clarity and stress in sentences", according to many grammar sites. Since "the power of prayer" is a commonly used phase and not my creation, it was put in quotes. I am not a plagiarizer and attempt to attribute my sources. I don't claim to be a perfect writer, but in this case the quotes were properly used.

For all the grammar police that inhabit this site maybe you should check out this article and see if it fits.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a43468/stop-pointing-out-typos/

LOL! Don't you see it speaks volumes about you when you totally blow off 12 lines of my post which carefully and factually address what the Bills have done to address OL in FA and UDFA, in order to pen a sanctimonious little screed addressing a single line suggesting that putting quotes around "power of prayer" was misleading on TBD as around here, it implies someone in the media or Bills organization actually said this? The point I was making addresses context and meaning, so linking an article about correcting typos is not germaine.

If you're really here to debate/discuss, then when someone actually pens a meaningful response, you really need to address it to avoid living in a falling credibility zone heading towards Troll City.

PS Brush up on the issue of how and when (and when not to) use quotation marks. An indirect quote or commonly used phrase does not require quotation marks, which should never be used for emphasis or stress. I won't go into cred here, but I'm quite certain no one will be arresting me for "impersonating an officer" of the grammar police.

OP....too much text. I assume--without reading--you are saying the right side was weak and we didn't take any OL to fill it. With that assumption, I agree.

Good post. Kind of.

Isn't it possible that the Bills believe that Miller and Mills/Hendy will be fine at RG and RT respectively, now that the problems of last year appear behind them?

The fact is the 2015 Buffalo Bills were the #1 team in rushing yards and #2 in rushing attempts. The Bills were also #1 in scoring rushing TD's and they averaged 4.8 yards per rush. While those rushing stats were great...we must also realize that because the Bills QB ran 104 attempts for 568 yards that it pads those overall rushing stats somewhat. The Bills were also 28th in passing yards and 31st in passing attempts.

The 2015 Buffalo Bills were also 31st in 3 downs and out percentage at 186 drives with 53 going 3 and out! When you think about dominant running teams you would tend to think they control the line of scrimmage and clock and that really wasn't the case at all with the Bills last year. The simple fact is the right side of the line play was pretty bad and the left side basically carried the team. Miller was decent at run blocking and lousy at pass blocking and vice versa for Urbik. The RT play was pretty bad from everyone all season.

What a lot of fans seem to forget is that in 2014 the Buffalo Bills fielded one of the very worst offensive lines in the league for most of the season and in my view is the biggest reason as to why the team lost to the Raiders in week 16 while attempting to gain a playoff berth. The Bills run game had only 13 rushes for 13 yards and every time Spiller touched the ball he was getting tackled five yards behind the line of scrimmage. The line also had great difficulty in protecting Kyle Orton all game.

Doug Whaley's answer to the weakest and neediest area of the team in the 2015 draft was to select an OG in the third round. If it wasn't for Rex Ryan vouching for OG Richie Incognito the line would have been another horrid mess in 2015. Then to Incognito's credit, he played some of his best football with the Bills last season and really anchored that left side. His play upgraded both Woods and Glenn's play without question. The right side of the Bills line will still be a mess in 2016 and it should have been addressed in this year's draft or free agency.

Because of cap hell, the Bills were limited in free agency and went full bore into helping Rex Ryan build the defense he wants in this year's draft. Still, the Bills did re-sign Richie and tagged Glenn. I can only imagine that Doug Whaley didn't want Ryan to have that same excuse that he used after he was fired by the NY Jets. The Bills did go 'all in" to get Rex Ryan the players he needed to build his defense and now let's see if it works.

The bottom line is I feel the OPs pain and think this team has almost no quality depth for the O-line and the right side is still a huge question mark. I have no idea what this team will do if there is a serious injury to one of the left side of line players or if opposing teams start focusing on stacking the box to stop the Bills run game and thus forcing them to throw more than they want.

Think what you will, but I can tell you that last season when the Bills were forced into throwing more than running they lost every game and Taylor didn't fare very well in those games.

You raise some interesting points.

The impact of Tyrod Taylor and his rushing attempts has been repeatedly addressed in other threads. Bottom line, 4 of the top 6 rushing teams (Bills, Panthers, Seahawks, Chiefs) had QB who ran for similar yardage, and when QB rushing yards are subtracted from every team's total (with the not-always-valid assumption that the OL has nothing to do with QB yardage) the Bills are still in the top 10, maybe top 5 (I did that math, and anyone curious can search for my post about it).

I don't forget that the Bills OL sucked in 2014, nor that with the same OLmen, we were much better in 2012 and 2013. Marrone ran a very simplistic blocking scheme, and his bizarre insistence on turning Pears from an adequate RT to an abysmal guard had a big impact.

So to call OL the weakest, neediest area of the team in 2015 is a fan judgement call. It's not unreasonable to have a different interpretation: the coaches watched film from a couple seasons and reached a different conclusion. We had no 1st round pick, so selecting an OG with our 2nd pick was a substantial action IMO as was signing RI. (Aside: isn't it a bit of an agenda to tag Whaley for neglecting the OL but credit Rex for actions that are stated publically to be Whaley's remit?). But it was acknowledged at the time that we pursued select FA's and lost out.

The question is: do you feel OL was the weakest neediest area of the team last year and required the most infusion of draft picks and FA money this year? I personally don't. I think replacing Mario and improving our LB corps was the biggest need, and we addressed that.

FA isn't done yet, the Bills have signed several vet and a larger-than-usual number of UDFA OLmen. Have they done enough? I can respect the viewpoint that maybe they haven't, maybe we should have done more. But what? Used draft picks and forgone Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland? Then what would we do to fill the huge crying hole at LB and DE? Cut another vet to free up $$ and pursued a FA OLman? Who do you want to see go and how would we fill their hole?

The truth is, a football roster in the salary cap era is a careful balancing act, and the Bills had too many roster holes to fill with the available draft picks. It's a very valid point that the right side of the OL is a question mark and could use improvement, but having reason to believe (from film etc) that young OLmen may improve or that the FA signings may provide at least quality depth is rather different than the alleged reliance on the power of prayer.

Isn't it possible that the Bills believe that Miller and Mills/Hendy will be fine at RG and RT respectively, now that the problems of last year appear behind them?

It's possible. It's also possible that they believe Velasco will provide quality depth, one or more of the UDFA they signed may push for a spot, and someone they pick up from the cutout bin may have value.

You're absolutely right about the need for this team to churn out first downs better than they did last year. It is integral to the run & stop the run, conservative game management style the Bills approach the game with.

If you think Whaley is on board with the picks just to give Rex rope to hang himself with, I have to disagree. I found it interesting watching Whaley's interviews how much more relaxed he is with Rex by his side than when he's in front of the cameras by himself. No question about it, these two get along. Rex talks about how they see things the same way and I think the GM is happy to be with Rex rather than Marrone. I say this as a Rex detractor.

Whaley has been at his best acquiring defensive players. He comes from Pittsburgh, tough creative blitzing 34 defense and a power running game. He tells the media exactly how the picks are going to be used on the field. there is a shared vision here between the two of them, for better or worse.

I don't doubt Whaley when he says they approach the draft looking for a meeting of value and need. I think if you look at the board at the time of each pick its easy to make a case for each selection being strong value, stronger than a run blocker that was available. and all picks were needs to varying degrees.

They drafted Miller because he's theoretically a strong run blocker. He fits what we do. They tried to sign Bulaga last offseason. Jordan Mills is the guy they think of as the set-the-floor veteran at RT. They spent 1.7m for him in a year when there's no money. That's our free agent signing, and we got a preview of him last year where he did alright.

Whaley was asked if they thought about drafting offensive line and immediately (and with his guard down with Rex next to him) said they thought about it the whole way but the value just wasn't there.

What I'm suggesting is they understand the need to finish the line, they're just not willing to pass up studs at need positions for lesser prospects on the OL.

Edited by Aaron

The point is you need to have a better plan than a belief (or a prayer) that someone may improve. Where is the plan B,C,D? A player may improve, or he may get worse or backslide. Henderson is what he is, an acceptable backup. He has had years to prove otherwise and the statistics show exactly what he is. As you say, taking someone even in the 1st round is nothing more than a gamble. Not taking anyone in the draft at all is throwing your money on the table and folding before the cards are even dealt. You are guaranteed to lose.

The free agent list of tackles and the draft was weak, no to mention our salary cap situation. An entire season of an NFL strength and conditioning program as well as an entire offseason working exclusively with the first team will help Miller become adequate. They resigned Mills who for a street free agent played better than expected, so now you have Mills and Henderson competing. So its not just a belief its a matter putting our guys into the best situation to succeed. Yes our right side of the line will be a weaker part of the offense but ever team has a weaker part but if they can be healthy and more prepared they can become average.

Edited by BILLriant

my post was deleted, i considered that a reprimand. You said the posters you disagreed with were either stupid or dicks, I said someone was clueless. Your comments are acceptable, but mine is not?

Thank you, I'm glad we see things the same.

You're absolutely right about the need for this team to churn out first downs better than they did last year. It is integral to the run & stop the run, conservative game management style the Bills approach the game with.

If you think Whaley is on board with the picks just to give Rex rope to hang himself with, I have to disagree. I found it interesting watching Whaley's interviews how much more relaxed he is with Rex by his side than when he's in front of the cameras by himself. No question about it, these two get along. Rex talks about how they see things the same way and I think the GM is happy to be with Rex rather than Marrone. I say this as a Rex detractor.

Whaley has been at his best acquiring defensive players. He comes from Pittsburgh, tough creative blitzing 34 defense and a power running game. He tells the media exactly how the picks are going to be used on the field. there is a shared vision here between the two of them, for better or worse.

I don't doubt Whaley when he says they approach the draft looking for a meeting of value and need. I think if you look at the board at the time of each pick its easy to make a case for each selection being strong value, stronger than a run blocker that was available. and all picks were needs to varying degrees.

They drafted Miller because he's theoretically a strong run blocker. He fits what we do. They tried to sign Bulaga last offseason. Jordan Mills is the guy they think of as the set-the-floor veteran at RT. They spent 1.7m for him in a year when there's no money. That's our free agent signing, and we got a preview of him last year where he did alright.

Whaley was asked if they thought about drafting offensive line and immediately (and with his guard down with Rex next to him) said they thought about it the whole way but the value just wasn't there.

What I'm suggesting is they understand the need to finish the line, they're just not willing to pass up studs at need positions for lesser prospects on the OL.

The one thing I'm very confident about is that Doug Whaley knows "defensive football" talent when he sees it. While some fans here have alluded to the fact that those first two draft picks are run more stuffing players rather than the pure pass rusher they lost in Mario Williams. This could be so that Ryan will have the players at DE / LBer he needs to properly run his two-gap 3-4 scheme.

In my view, it wasn't just not being able to get the most out of that great talent on the defensive line. The entire defense had problems with play calls coming in late and late substitutions. Players in not being ready and set when the ball was snapped and there appeared to be communication issues almost all of last season. Not to mention the amount of penalties from the team on both sides of the ball.

The defense did start looking more cohesive towards the end of the season even with all the injuries, but that could have been the result of playing the Cowboys with a QB making his first NFL start and the NY Jets that Ryan was very passionate about beating. That said, Rex Ryan should have no excuses this year should his defense not perform like expected.

The offensive line has been seriously neglected over the past years and even with a great left side the line this past year they still had great difficulty in controlling the line of scrimmage and clock while maintaining drives. Being 31st means they were pretty bad at sustaining drives. Last year Greg Roman's offense with Tyrod at QB worked so well at times to get those big plays in the passing game while teams were trying to stop the run and that's what made the offense so good. The thing is, will that be sustainable this year with a more difficult schedule and now teams that have plenty of tape on the Bills offense?

In my view, it's just a darn shame the Bills stopped attempting to upgrade with better players at RG, RT after they lost out on Bulaga and Evans. It would have been a better season had Harvin been able to play more than six games. That right side being so weak is like attempting to fight with one arm tied behind your back. The receiving corps also needs to be upgraded with a solid #2 big, tall red zone target WR. Can't have it all though when the team is in cap hell.

Let's hope the defense does improve under Ryan this year.

I agree with you. Unfortunately the Bills had too many holes to fill and they had to start from the Defense. It will probably take another draft to address the OL. Remember they are also up against the Salary cap.

Once again, the "holes" on D were self-inflicted by Ryan. And once again, there are players on this team, even after Mario left who logged 14.5 sacks in 2014, that logged 35 sacks otherwise. Ryan didn't even get half that total last season.

Everyone says Mario dogged it and didn't play hard, well OK. Couple that with the losses of Bradham and McKelvin, and really, that's a huge loss? Other teams suffer worse and won't nosedive without expending the entire meat of their draft on D. Why do we? I'll tell ya why, because Ryan's a moron and so is Whaley.

Seriously, I cannot believe that anyone, anyone, thought that we didn't need a WR, even if only for depth, given that we currently only have two with both having propensity for injuries.

This team's issues are almost always self-inflicted.

I won't even do more than mention the pervasive record of underachievement that Alabama ILBs and ACC DEs have in the NFL given where they're drafted. .

Teams had 8 in the box against us most of last season,it wasn't like Roman was some new NFL coordinator who had just come out of college. There is tape out there on him. In the second half of the season Tyrod just kept throwing it over them to Sammy.

What do you think's going to happen this year?

What's the incentive for opponents not to double Sammy? Who's going to loosen things up for him? What, Hankerson? Goodwin? LMAO

What if Sammy goes down? Then what? What, we start Woods and Goodwin?

This team doesn't think things through and has absolutely no vision or any plan beyond what's in front of their noses.

Ryan acted like a kid in a candy shop this past weekend. He has his bag full of goodies, hopefully we can at least all agree that if his offense isn't ranked in the top-10 again then he needs to go, because clearly the Offense isn't going to rank in the top-10. And I don't think anyone's going to want to hear how this seasoned coach and defensive genius needs more time either.

Just because you don't understand the thinking at OBD doesn't mean it's a bad plan.

LMAO

Good one.

Thinking? ... at OBD? What thinking? Seems like more emotional reactions to me. Manuel = emotional reaction. Watkins = emotional reaction. Ragland, likely just another Rolando McClain/Dant'a Hightower/Demeco Ryans instead of what the team is claiming was really a 1st round pick.

The last time OBD did some thinking and did something similar it was McCargo. How'd that work out for us.

You think you're smarter than Whaley?

I think that a lot of fans are smarter than Whaley, who's a buffoon and very lucky to even have a job as a GM, his last. As soon as Pegula pulls his head out of his hind crevice and sees that Whaley is in way over his head Whaley will go back to some director position for another team. He's made some of the dumbest and costliest moves that this franchise has ever seen.

Edited by TaskersGhost