Bills Plan to improve the offense “The power of prayer"

The entire OL was a problem. Incognito was awful. Cox was great. Eagles DEFINITELY had a gameplan that day. It had the feel of the first game the Bills played against the Jets.......like extra effort was made in game planning.

UGH! I was at that game and had to watch how poorly the OL was that day.

They did only lose by 3, but I thought they were going to pull it out, especially after Sam Bradford did his Rob Johnson impersonation by taking a 10 yard sack from Mario, when he could have just thrown the ball away.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, the "holes" on D were self-inflicted by Ryan. And once again, there are players on this team, even after Mario left who logged 14.5 sacks in 2014, that logged 35 sacks otherwise. Ryan didn't even get half that total last season.

Everyone says Mario dogged it and didn't play hard, well OK. Couple that with the losses of Bradham and McKelvin, and really, that's a huge loss? Other teams suffer worse and won't nosedive without expending the entire meat of their draft on D. Why do we? I'll tell ya why, because Ryan's a moron and so is Whaley.

Seriously, I cannot believe that anyone, anyone, thought that we didn't need a WR, even if only for depth, given that we currently only have two with both having propensity for injuries.

This team's issues are almost always self-inflicted.

I won't even do more than mention the pervasive record of underachievement that Alabama ILBs and ACC DEs have in the NFL given where they're drafted. .

What do you think's going to happen this year?

What's the incentive for opponents not to double Sammy? Who's going to loosen things up for him? What, Hankerson? Goodwin? LMAO

What if Sammy goes down? Then what? What, we start Woods and Goodwin?

This team doesn't think things through and has absolutely no vision or any plan beyond what's in front of their noses.

Ryan acted like a kid in a candy shop this past weekend. He has his bag full of goodies, hopefully we can at least all agree that if his offense isn't ranked in the top-10 again then he needs to go, because clearly the Offense isn't going to rank in the top-10. And I don't think anyone's going to want to hear how this seasoned coach and defensive genius needs more time either.

LMAO

Good one.

Thinking? ... at OBD? What thinking? Seems like more emotional reactions to me. Manuel = emotional reaction. Watkins = emotional reaction. Ragland, likely just another Rolando McClain/Dant'a Hightower/Demeco Ryans instead of what the team is claiming was really a 1st round pick.

The last time OBD did some thinking and did something similar it was McCargo. How'd that work out for us.

I think that a lot of fans are smarter than Whaley, who's a buffoon and very lucky to even have a job as a GM, his last. As soon as Pegula pulls his head out of his hind crevice and sees that Whaley is in way over his head Whaley will go back to some director position for another team. He's made some of the dumbest and costliest moves that this franchise has ever seen.

wow.

Maybe gardening would help your aggravation. Not kidding. Did wonders for me.

you just seem to wound to enjoy Bills football any more. I have plenty of hobbies and distractions if the Bills piss me off so much.

Heck i walked away from them for over a decade.

Fishing is good, too.

What makes you think we won't alter our offense. Yes, studying film helps, but teams knew we ran the ball most of the time and still couldn't stop us. Just because you know a teams tendencies it doesn't always give you an advantage.

a decent OC knows this too. and i believe we have one.

Good post 63

OL is a team within a team. Its funny you mention metric as the BIlls OL graded 9th on a popular metric site. Yes they also say the right side stunk, but here is the thing, OLs get help. If you have one side great, well you can game plan to help the right.

every so often you come through for me.

:beer:

100% right. It was Richie's worth game by a distance.

and he owned every bit of it

May have been the best game I saw all year out of a DT. Cox is the real deal. Just a fantastic player all the way around and I think Schwartz can make him even better.

GO BILLS!!!

Cox has gotta be Jim's boy.

Fletcher is just brutal. Good for hi really. bad for the Bills.

Like JJ Watt owned the Bills O line and destroyed what little progress EJM had made. Probably still having flashbacks

Edited by 3rdand12

Here's the disconnect -- who is saying they're not trying to get better around him? I'm with you that WR is a need for this team, but it wasn't as big of a need as the front seven and I don't think there were really any studs in this receiving class (though, admittedly I don't know much more than the headlines about any of them. You can get better around your QB in other ways than just giving him new weapons. Making the defense better helps Tyrod, doesn't it?

Giving him a full camp, full off season and all OTA's as the unquestioned starter (and probably double the reps he got last year) has also got to help in terms of building that chemistry with receivers not numbered 14. Taylor has the chance this off season to not only be unencumbered by having to learn a new system, but also to greatly improve his relationship with all his skill guys.

Add to that Roman having a full season worth of tape and working with Taylor to know what he does best and where his weaknesses are. Yes, your'e right that the rest of the league has that too but that's reactive where Roman gets to be proactive with Taylor's development and his game plans.

:lol: You're not wrong, you're just not giving DW credit for the whole plan. You're hung up on the failure to add a legit #2 WR, which I agree would have been nice, and failing to see the other ways which you can build around a young QB to help his development.

... But yes, if Sammy goes down for any length of time, this WR corps will be very weak. That's offset of course by the scheme (run first) and Roman's ability to use TEs and RBs in the passing game. Not completely offset, but you can't plug every hole in a salary cap league.

1) If they are trying to get better it's not showing. IMO Harvin > Hankerson. Hogan > Woods. So actually maybe a little worse even? Maybe they get lucky with Listenbee or Goodwin but that's more prayer than plan.

2) I am a Roman fan but you do realize when you are questioning why I am not just assuming that Roman has all the answers that I gave you an example of a QB who regressed badly under Roman.........right?

The team doing little to nothing to improve the offensive side of the ball is the result of our head coach ruining a very good defense.

I also wanted them to get another threat opposite Sammy. "Skates" is a perfect nickname for Robert Woods. Why the !@#$ does that guy fall down so much?

Same can be said for the offensive line. Counting on Miller and Mills as your right side makes me cringe.

But hey, we needed to load up on defense after the cluster !@#$ regression performance we saw last season.

You make a lot of good points that I'm afraid will hold true once the season gets going.

The Bills draft has been widely lauded as one of the best in the NFL and here you are bitching yet again. You are hilarious man! :lol:

1) If they are trying to get better it's not showing. IMO Harvin > Hankerson. Hogan > Woods. So actually maybe a little worse even? Maybe they get lucky with Listenbee or Goodwin but that's more prayer than plan.

2) I am a Roman fan but you do realize when you are questioning why I am not just assuming that Roman has all the answers that I gave you an example of a QB who regressed badly under Roman.........right?

LOL! That's a good one.

Where did I say that?

Right here:

The team doing little to nothing to improve the offensive side of the ball is the result of our head coach ruining a very good defense.

I also wanted them to get another threat opposite Sammy.

But hey, we needed to load up on defense after the cluster !@#$ regression performance we saw last season.

DL in Rex system don't have the opportunity to make tons of plays........so you really don't need to draft playmakers at those positions.

How is that lost on people?

Did they not watch Dareus talent get wasted all season taking on double teams last season?

He's a beast so he can tie up blockers if asked but the reason he is being paid $16M per is to make TFL's and get sacks and pressures which he can't do in volume in this system.

The Jets had/have some awesome DL talent........but what did it matter if they are just tying up blockers while positions that the team ACTUALLY needs playmakers at aren't stocked?

They let their secondary decline.....the area where they NEEDED to maintain first round talent......while drafting Wilkerson, Richardson and Coples in round 1.

This just isn't true. Going back through his defenses, plenty of front seven guys have been playmakers , from trevor pryce to shaun ellis to to suggs to wilkerson. You are aware that the 2006 Ravens had 60 sacks, right? It puts the lie to the argument that his defenses don't prioritze sacks. Christ,,the Jets had over 40 sacks in his final two years in ny (45 in 2014, when the team was always behind). Some years the sack numbers have been down and in others they've been up. I suggest looking at the sack stats for jim schwartz over a 14 year period. The numbers aren't better than ryan's.

This just isn't true. Going back through his defenses, plenty of front seven guys have been playmakers , from trevor pryce to shaun ellis to to suggs to wilkerson. You are aware that the 2006 Ravens had 60 sacks, right? It puts the lie to the argument that his defenses don't prioritze sacks. Christ,,the Jets had over 40 sacks in his final two years in ny (45 in 2014, when the team was always behind). Some years the sack numbers have been down and in others they've been up. I suggest looking at the sack stats for jim schwartz over a 14 year period. The numbers aren't better than ryan's.

As I said more individual talent on the DL did not result in better defense.

From 2009-2011 when RR was considered the best defensive mind in the NFL and twice taking the Jets to the AFC Championship game he had exactly ZERO players get double digit sacks in a season.

None.

Where did I say that he was against getting sacks? He just doesn't care if those 35-40 sacks are distributed over 11 different players on defense.

172 replies and 9 pages in response to the op's "ridiculous" premise critical of the bills draft. methinks y'all eternal optimists protest too much. but then again, anyone critical of anything bills (lord knows there hasn't been much to criticize) is surely a hater and couldn't possibly be a real fan...