UDFA Thread

Ranking top 7 undrafted-free-agent classes
The Bills' signing of Rob Gronkowski's younger brother helped the team make Chad Reuter's list of the top seven undrafted free-agent hauls following the 2016 NFL Draft.

bills_logo.jpg
4. Buffalo Bills

First off, how can you not pick a group that includes a "Gronk"? Rob's brother, Glenn, will have a chance to make the team as a rookie if he proves himself on special teams and as a blocking/receiving fullback. Eric Striker is too good of a football player not to challenge for playing time as a rookie linebacker. The Bills didn't use a single draft pick on the offensive line, so picking up draftable prospects like center Robert Kugler, tenacious guard/tackle Marquis Lucas and long outside pass protector Keith Lumpkin was wise. Marshall Morgan and Reid Ferguson are solid special-teams contributors who will at least be auditioning for another team during the preseason if they are unable to unseat veterans Dan Carpenter and Garrison Sanborn, respectively.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bills_logo.jpg
4. Buffalo Bills

First off, how can you not pick a group that includes a "Gronk"? Rob's brother, Glenn, will have a chance to make the team as a rookie if he proves himself on special teams and as a blocking/receiving fullback. Eric Striker is too good of a football player not to challenge for playing time as a rookie linebacker. The Bills didn't use a single draft pick on the offensive line, so picking up draftable prospects like center Robert Kugler, tenacious guard/tackle Marquis Lucas and long outside pass protector Keith Lumpkin was wise. Marshall Morgan and Reid Ferguson are solid special-teams contributors who will at least be auditioning for another team during the preseason if they are unable to unseat veterans Dan Carpenter and Garrison Sanborn, respectively.

No mention of Zimmer? Outside of Striker he may be the best one of all.

In HS and in College, he made his play in practice such that they were forced to find him a spot. It's going to happen again with plays like these. Somehow, Striker will make his way onto the field this year.

Striker looks like Von Miller coming off that edge. I'm gonna unleash my inner Chris Berman and nickname him Eric "lightning" Striker me again. A Lou Christie reference.

No mention of Zimmer? Outside of Striker he may be the best one of all.

Zimmer I like a lot. I see some Kyle Williams in him. I've talked with his Dad and he's thrilled to be a Bill. Number one reason? He can learn from none other than Kyle Williams.

He has a connection to Coach Blake and a couple guys on the team. He's quick on the uptake.

Zimmer I like a lot. I see some Kyle Williams in him. I've talked with his Dad and he's thrilled to be a Bill. Number one reason? He can learn from none other than Kyle Williams.

He has a connection to Coach Blake and a couple guys on the team. He's quick on the uptake.

Again, in the clips posted above, he looks just like Kyle to me. It's uncanny.

I'm big on the Striker pick. Not because I have any special football insights other than rumors. But because I like the "Striker" Airplane movie quotes.

Also there is a Stryker hospital bed that costs 40K. It's got all the bells and whistles. How cool is that? I hope my kids send me there instead of the Fire Ant Nursing Home.

All Hail Doug! He did a damn good job. That experience from Pittsburgh gave him some serious NFL GM cohones.

Side note: I like GMTM in the room. I do believe in the one organization posture.

Murray was in the Bills draft room?

We need to bring in Baylor boys: OT/TE (Jason Peters-like) LaQuan McGowan and DE Shawn Oakman.

Can he play tackle (TE would be interesting)

Murray was in the Bills draft room?

Can he play tackle (TE would be interesting)

The only place Shawn Oakman is going is prison.

Striker just blew me away on the tape I saw. Here is a link. Scroll through and Striker is after Gronkowski. Just hit the highlights:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/05/nfl_draft_2016_glenn_gronkowski_joe_licata_highlight_buffalo_bills_udfa_signings.html#2

So... long time reader, first time buzz kill. That highlight reel for Striker was great, but it only showed me one trick (I know UDFA, but you guys have given him 14 pages). I will try to find a draft breakdown to see a whole ball game because his highlight reel left me thinking he would only play in obvious pass downs. Yes he has great speed, but in the NFL the tackles have better feet/technique. Additionally, Rex likes chess pieces that can do multiple things (particularly against the pass), and his abilities seem specialized towards outside pass rush.

I do like Zimmer even though he also plays in obvious pass downs too. I can explain when I've had less Fireball.

@RyanTalbotBills

One Bills UDFA that people aren't talking about enough? Justin Zimmer. http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1668268-don-t-forget-about-bills-udfa-justin-zimmer

Albeit it was virtually against no competition he had great stats and when you combine that with his physical talents which are off-the-charts, I see him as having a decent shot at becoming an eventual consistent rotational player for the Bills.

bills_logo.jpg
4. Buffalo Bills

Zimmer is out of the public view of most of these evaluators that he isn't even mentioned here. I think he could be the gem of the pack.